UKC

How can i get a sponsor ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mutley 28 Aug 2010
well im 15 I cant afford gear so i would like to know how i can go about getting one? is it worth it if i climb 7a indoors and 6b-6b+ & HVS 5b outdoors but im planning on doing some E1 and E2s ? thanks
 richardh 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Mutley:

get yourself climbing 8b+, or E7/E8, then try to get sponsorship from that point on as you go up the grades from there.
banned profile 74 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Mutley: Adam ondra was climbing 9a at your age so don't hold out hope until your climbing way harder
 Stuzz 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Mutley:

From my limited understanding of it yo either need to be climbing at an exceptionally high standard (maybe E7+ like the guy above said) or be in a very prominent position which will get you and as such they gear your using into the publics view (e.g. well known, respected professional guide or something like that).

There may be other ways of doing it but those are the main ways i know about. Its a sad fact the very few climbers will ever get sponsorship from any one. After all if gear companies went around sponsoring loads of people they'd have no one left to sell their kit too!

You'll probably just have to do what the rest of us do and save save save! Although you never know, you may get lucky,
Best of luck to you.

Stuzz
 Roberttaylor 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Mutley: Write a funny, insightful blog, review products, email companies with pictures of you using their gear in a fun place or with a nice view. Normally they only sponsor very, very good climbers but they might give you something cheap/free. I have had free ferry tickets and a big box of flapjacks amongst other things. But most importantly enjoy yourself.

Robert

Or do what I did to buy gear.....get a part time job. I know it is hard when you are 15 but when you turn 16 it gets a lot easier.
 Olli-C 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Mutley: Get a job in a climbing shop, then use your staff discount and wages to buy gear, even a genral outdoors will order from the same company that makes/distributes gear. Get some friends who work in climbing shops to get you discount, ask for equipment for presents go crag swagging after a bank holiday.
Mutley 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Mutley:Well then it looks like im going to have to go look for a job and train alot this winter
Mutley 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Mutley: oh yeah and thanks for the info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...