UKC

TNF June Bug tent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rat know-all 29 Aug 2010
Does anyone know anything of the history of this model, can't find any reference to it.

Thanks
Rat know-all 30 Aug 2010
In reply to Rat know-all:
Just me then
 Glansa 30 Aug 2010

I was fairly sure my folks a had a TNF tent called a Dune Bug but I suppose it could had been June. A 2 man, 2 pole tunnel where the second pole is only small.
Rat know-all 30 Aug 2010
In reply to Nick B, Another One:
That sounds very much like the fella, and the name could easily be mistaken.
Do you know roughly when they might have bought it?
 Glansa 30 Aug 2010

They would have bought in sometime around 1992-3, certainly before summer '93.
 Padraig 30 Aug 2010

I've got a NF Dune Bug. IIRC i bought it circa 88? At the time it was VERY expensive and I debated over spending the money £180 i think. Brilliant tent. Never regretted it. It's very sturdy and has withstood galeforce winds tho we didn't get much sleep!
 aln 30 Aug 2010
In reply to Padraig:
> (In reply to Rat know-all)
>
> I've got a NF Dune Bug.

Surely it's "June" bug? Named after an insect, they also did a Mayfly I think. The one I had was definitely a June Bug. I loved it, very strong, I remember a night when there was a big storm camped outside the Clachaig. Out of about 6 or 7 tents the June bug was the only one standing in the morning. I remember the front pole bowing so much in the night that the wet tent fabric was pressing against my face, but it didn't break.
Eventually years later it did break, could stand up to gale force winds but not a drunken mate who forgot where he was and leaned on the pole! Unfortunately this was after they'd stopped making them and I couldn't buy another anywhere. However I wrote to the company and a week later a package arrived. They'd found a prototype model in a cupboard and gave it to me free of charge, didn't even ask for postage! Exemplary service I thought. The correct poles were unavailable, so I had to repair what I had. Gave many more years of service, but eventually was retired.
It also had good headroom at the front for a tent of its size. Brilliant tent.

Rat know-all 30 Aug 2010
Thank you chaps that's filled in the gaps nicely, I picked this one up at the weekend in excellent condition, looks like it's been in someones cupboard for 20 years. The build quality looks excellent, though I haven't had a chance to pitch it yet. I couldn't find any reference on the web to it at all
but I guessed it might have been an 80's tent from the colour of the stuff sack.
Thanks again for taking the time to post.

It is 'June' Bug I checked on the label.
 Padraig 31 Aug 2010
Surely it's "June" bug?

LOL. Your right of course. Slip of the finger!

Forgot to mention it has a mdge-proof net which is useful on the west coast!
 Padraig 31 Aug 2010

Forgot to ask..how much did you pay for it? (If thats not a nosy Q)
Rat know-all 31 Aug 2010
In reply to Padraig:
I paid £5 sold as seen, and having pitched it today it's not quite like I hoped.
The fly sheet is unused must have been replaced and then not used again, the inner needs the ground sheet re-proofing, which is the main problem with it.
The poles show no sign of cracking at the ends but do have permanent curvature.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...