UKC

Cities in Australia and New Zealand...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FranC 09 Sep 2010
Hello! Was just wondering if anyone knew which cities in the above countries have a good selection of climbing nearby. Thanks in advance!
Fran
 Bobling 09 Sep 2010
In reply to FranC:

Dunedin in NZ has a fair bit I think, cold but. I lived in Wellington for a year and enjoyed the delights of Titahi Bay on more than one occasion. If you are happy with bouldering Turakirae and Baring Head have enugh to keep you going for years.
 Bella 09 Sep 2010
In reply to FranC: Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart, Hamilton, Taupo....

Wellington ok (as above).

You could get a map of NZ and of Australia and google for where the climbing is and then plot the climbing areas on the maps - will give you a good idea of how far it is from the cities.
 Bella 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Bobling:
> (In reply to FranC)
>
> Dunedin in NZ has a fair bit I think, cold but.

Dunedin's warmer than Manchester or other northern england cities, and average highs in winter are warmer than London, too. Lower average number of rainy days as well.
 Tom Last 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Bella:
> (In reply to FranC) Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart, Hamilton, Taupo....
>
> Wellington ok (as above).
>

...Nelson, Invercargill etc. Near enough every city in NZ!
 Banned User 77 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Southern Man: I didn't think Wellington was that good. Soe stuff around but compared to somewhere like Manchester or sheffield I think a pure climber would be left dissapointed.
 tony 09 Sep 2010
In reply to FranC:

Depends what you mean by nearby. Is nearby a half-hour drive for some evening cragging after work, or a few hours away for a weekend. If it's they latter, Melbourne is in striking distance of Arapiles and the Grampians, which are both great climbing areas.
rebeccam 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Bella: Might depend on your definition of "nearby". Personally wouldn't have thought there was much nearby (under 2 hours) from Auckland. Rotorua (is this a city?) could be good for e.g Wharepapa.
Nelson, Wanaka (again not quite sure if "city") also good.
 Tall Clare 09 Sep 2010
In reply to rebeccam:

There's no way you can describe Wanaka as a city.
rebeccam 09 Sep 2010
In reply to rebeccam: This might help for NZ cities
http://www.climb.co.nz/Places/Places-To-Climb.htm
rebeccam 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: hmm, yep you're absolutely right. was clutching at straws a bit there.. apologies to OP, strike Wanaka.
 Tall Clare 09 Sep 2010
In reply to rebeccam:

Queenstown's a bit bigger though.
 Tom Last 09 Sep 2010
In reply to IainRUK:

No definitely not on par with the places you mentioned, but there was some OK climbing on some limestone bluffs on the road north from Invercargill and Colac Bay away to the west has some really good granite sea cliffs, about gritstone height and very underdeveloped.

Not the most popular area of NZ, but I quite liked it. Invergargill was a cool city in a rough sort of way
 Tom Last 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to rebeccam)
>
> There's no way you can describe Wanaka as a city.

True, but it feels almost as bustling and cosmopolitan as some other NZ cities and probably more to do!
 Tom Last 09 Sep 2010
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Southern Man) I didn't think Wellington was that good. Soe stuff around but compared to somewhere like Manchester or sheffield I think a pure climber would be left dissapointed.

Read your reply as referring to Invercargill for some reason. D'oh!
 Dave C 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Bella:
> (In reply to FranC) Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart, Hamilton, Taupo....
>

I dunno, Christchurch might be a shaky proposition.........!

....sorry about that.
 Bella 09 Sep 2010
In reply to rebeccam:
> (In reply to Bella) Might depend on your definition of "nearby". Personally wouldn't have thought there was much nearby (under 2 hours) from Auckland. Rotorua (is this a city?) could be good for e.g Wharepapa.

Auckland has Auckland Quarry in Mt Eden, and Ti Point is close (Warkworth). Karangahake Gorge fairly close, bits and bobs in Coromandel (Te Ananui Bay, Castle Rock) not far, and the Wharepapa area or Whanganui bay definitely do-able for weekends.
 Bella 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Dave C: OP didn't ask whether the cities were still standing And the climbing is still fine, a small rock fall on one part of the Port Hills but no major changes.
 tim000 09 Sep 2010
In reply to FranC: i remember seeing some climbing in brisbane 4 years ago . it was along the river in the city centre . not sure what it was like though, it was before i got into climbing so didnt check it out.
OP FranC 09 Sep 2010
In reply to FranC:
Cheers guy! Applying for jobs and location is very important so thanks for all your replies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...