/ NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: Mallorcan Mankini

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
UKC News - on 10 Sep 2010
Mallorcan Mankin video image, 4 kbUKC editor Jack Geldard has been sunning himself in Mallorca all week, getting in some deep water soloing. At Cala Sa Nau the team attempted Bandito (7c+) but extraordinary tactics were called for before someone topped out.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=57754
EasyAndy - on 10 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: disturbing
Enty - on 10 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Please tell me that Ady's sunnies were part of the piss-take?

E
geddicakes - on 10 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: Pretty grim.
royal - on 11 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Haha brilliant!
Wee Davie - on 11 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I'm just grateful the camera angle was from the side.
Brendan - on 11 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: Not one to watch in HD.
kingie52 - on 11 Sep 2010
Is this a dig at a Mr James Pearson whom has also done the Mankini? If not a dig, it would have been funny about 3yrs ago!
Sam Mayfield - on 11 Sep 2010
In reply to kingie52:

I have photos of about 9 blokes in mankinis all showing their bums. It was on the Costa Blanca DWS fest 2 years ago!

Scary images which I would not wish on anyone!

Sam Orange
Kafoozalem - on 12 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I just choked on my cornflakes.
chalkyjim - on 12 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Is there anyway the videos could be put on with an iPhone friendly format?
BigBrother - on 12 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: I see climbers in these dws videos wearing chalk bags. Surely they get ruined every time they fall off? Do they take a rucksack full of chalkbags to the cliff and change each time and then dry them all out or do they use something other than chalk?
Wee Davie - on 12 Sep 2010
In reply to BigBrother:

Yep.
Chalk + water = ruined chalk
There are ways of dealing with it though.
One way is to not take a chalk bag and chalk up heavily on your forearms so you have something to dab mid- ascent.
Another and better option we have come up with here is the duct tape chalk bag.
They're not hard to make, they're water resistant- so you can dry them off quickly with a towel- and they're cheap as chips.
One roll of duct tape costs a few quid and all you need above that is something to stiffen the opening (a loop of plastic tubing from your local DIY shop) and some string/ cord to hang it off you.
You can make about 5 or more chalkbags from one decent roll of duct tape.
Adam Lincoln - on 12 Sep 2010
In reply to Wee Davie:
> (In reply to BigBrother)
>
> Yep.
> Chalk + water = ruined chalk
> There are ways of dealing with it though.
> One way is to not take a chalk bag and chalk up heavily on your forearms so you have something to dab mid- ascent.
> Another and better option we have come up with here is the duct tape chalk bag.
> They're not hard to make, they're water resistant- so you can dry them off quickly with a towel- and they're cheap as chips.
> One roll of duct tape costs a few quid and all you need above that is something to stiffen the opening (a loop of plastic tubing from your local DIY shop) and some string/ cord to hang it off you.
> You can make about 5 or more chalkbags from one decent roll of duct tape.

Or even simpler. Put sandwich bags in chalkbag with a little chalk. If you fall in use a new sandwich bag. Folded over the top, you won't get wet hands even after chalkbag has been in water.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Wee Davie - on 12 Sep 2010
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Sounds good as long as the sandwich bags don't slip off the top. I reckon there is a small market for PVC chalkbags.
I own one of the Malhamba (now out of business?) ones in Pertex but it isn't that practical as you still have to dry it off after a fall.
The duct tape idea has proved pretty good over the last few months.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.