UKC

Plas y Brenin Centre Assistants Required

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Plas y Brenin 15 Sep 2010
premier post photo
Are you looking to begin or develop your career in the outdoors? Our Centre Assistant Scheme offers the opportunity to gain valuable experience and qualifications whilst working at Plas y Brenin. We are looking to recruit 8 centre assistants for our 2011-2012 scheme; the positions are 15 month contracts.

Closing Date for Applications: 6th December 2010

Interview Date: 19th January 2011

Download Further Details: http://www.pyb.co.uk/downloads/CA%20Letter-2011.doc

Download an Application Form: http://www.pyb.co.uk/downloads/CA-Application%20Form-2011.doc
 Juglan 17 Sep 2010
In reply to Plas y Brenin: This is literally slave labour.
ktmben 17 Sep 2010
In reply to Paul Doran: the outdoor business is known for long hours and low wages, Plas y Brenin are industry leaders in this aspect!!
 Mike Raine 18 Sep 2010
In reply to Plas y Brenin:

Most people who do it seem to have a really good, time, enjoy it and get a lot out of it. Would be better to hear from someone whose actually done the scheme. I have to add I work there, so could be construed as biased but the scheme seems to work very well for some people
 La benya 20 Sep 2010
In reply to Mike Raine:

my friend is doing this now... and he seems to be loving it, we saw him yesterday as we went to do our SPA up there.

apparently however because of spending cuts etc, they are working the guys harder, and leaving them less time to do the courses, meaning it becomes some what of a one sided deal at times, its still a wicked place, and something worthwhile to do if you can
 Shane-Smith 20 Sep 2010
In reply to Mike Raine: Ay up. You did my spa training a few months back at Plas y. You probs won't remember me: Shane from the peak district. I came with Tiffany??? Anyway keep up the good work and take care.
MarketBoy 22 Sep 2010
In reply to Paul Doran:
> (In reply to Plas y Brenin) This is literally slave labour.

Maybe so, but I'd have jumped at the chance had it been available to me when I was 18 (time on my hands, obsessed with the mountains, mortgage free, girlfriend free, car expenses free, etc).
 Mattias Hansen 22 Sep 2010
In reply to MarketBoy:

Dont think this qualifies as slave labour at all, nothing is forcing you to join and they are honest about the conditions of the employment.

Was there last weekend and spoke with one of the current trainees, and she absolutely loved it. Said they also got a pretty fair share of applicants.
 david morse 23 Sep 2010
Im currently working as a centre assistant, I started at the end of May. The scheme is a brilliant and unique way to start or extend a career in the outdoor industry, or to have a year out climbing and paddling in north wales. Ive done a huge amount of climbing this year, met some cool folk, spent loads of time in kayaks and canoes, and worked towards some NGB awards. I usually work 3 full days a week, two night shifts (where I have to be on reception for 5.30) and two full days off, which pretty much gives me 4 days and 3 evenings a week free to go climbing/paddling/walking/go on courses etc. Ogwen is 5 mins away, the pass is 10 mins away, Tremadog and the slate are 15mins away, and the best crag in the UK (except for Pembroke, obviously), the Big G, is 45mins away. An excellent place to be based to get some routes in.

If anyone has any specific questions feel free to email me, I would thouroughly recomend applying to this sceme.
 monkeyboyraw 24 Sep 2010
In reply to Paul Doran: I have met many CA over the last few years, both at PYB and out and about. All have raved about it, said it was hard work but well worth every minute. I have recently met a number of past CA's now doing MIA assessments. Take from that what you will but I'd have done it 15 years back if I'd known about it.
MarketBoy 24 Sep 2010
In reply to david morse:

Forgive my ignorance please, but what's the Big G ??
 david morse 24 Sep 2010
Gogarth
MarketBoy 25 Sep 2010
In reply to david morse:

Ah, of course. But you think Gogarth is a better crag than Cloggy ?
 david morse 26 Sep 2010
In reply to MarketBoy:

I think Gogarth is one of the best crags in the UK, along with Pembroke, West Cornwall and North Devon. I am developing a bias towards the sea cliffs though. Never been a fan of Cloggy, sorry.
DaveBear 01 Oct 2010
Ogwen is 5 mins away, the pass is 10 mins away, Tremadog and the slate are 15mins away, and the best crag in the UK (except for Pembroke, obviously), the Big G, is 45mins away

And rocket powered jet packs are also available seemingly . . .!
 david morse 01 Oct 2010
Nissan Micras: built for speed
MarketBoy 04 Oct 2010
In reply to david morse:
> Nissan Micras: built for speed

That's alright then - obviously not for style though, eh ?

(Sorry - couldn't resist)

cobbwebb 05 Oct 2010
In reply to monkeyboyraw:
I did the assistant scheme back then (round '88 i think!!)
It was an amazing experience and gave us all an excellent grounding in the outdoor world. It may wel have changed a lot but it was a fabulous start in the outdoor world back then.
 stevebarratt 10 Oct 2010
In reply to david morse:
> Nissan Micras: built for speed

Definately built for speed. And banging tunes.
 Katie86 10 Oct 2010
In reply to david morse:

What happens on this scheme when it comes to qualifications?! Do the Brenin pay you through both trainings and assessments?! And is there a good opportunity to develop a range of disciplines...?
 Katie86 10 Oct 2010
In reply to david morse:

Also....is there enough free time to take on a second job....?
 Mike Raine 11 Oct 2010
In reply to Katie86: Hi Katie, no time for a second job I'm afraid. You'll get all the training and assessment you can handle as part of the scheme.
 Katie86 12 Oct 2010
In reply to Mike Raine:
> (In reply to Katie86) Hi Katie, no time for a second job I'm afraid. You'll get all the training and assessment you can handle as part of the scheme.

Ahh I'll get back to writing that application and saving my pennies then!

Mick Ward 12 Oct 2010
In reply to Mike Raine:

> (In reply to Katie86) You'll get all the training and assessment you can handle as part of the scheme.

What's happening with young Schof, then? Is he all trained up to lead me up those 'interesting' (i.e. death!) pitches on the Lleyn?

Mick
 david morse 12 Oct 2010
In reply to Mick Ward:

old schof is taking his jamming apprenticeship before he starts on the loose rock. Here he is on the first (hand jamming) pitch of phagocyte at Easter Island Gully, which he crimped up (probably at fr 7a+ for the portland based hero).

Notice the fear in his eyes...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1SddXrz1O6o/TGGonz1L_cI/AAAAAAAAArM/-1-vHdC8h9o/s...

maybe the Lleyn better wait until 2011...
 Mick Ward 14 Oct 2010
In reply to david morse:

Brilliant! Next on the agenda's gotta be the Razor Blade crack on Resolution, in pouring rain, having emptied all your gear into the first 15 feet and thereafter running it out to the belay. (I can recommend all this from personal experience.)

You may well be right about the Lleyn. Mind you, I'd probably have a fit of the vapours myself, these days.

Aye, you're certainly having the requisite effect on him. Let the good work continue...

Mick
 Andy S 18 Oct 2010
In reply to Mattias Hansen: was that Jo by any chance? Lovely girl
 payney1973 23 Oct 2010
In reply to Plas y Brenin: Is there an age range/ limit on the scheme???
 MHutch 27 Oct 2010
In reply to alan1234:

I guess that if people aren't getting anything from it, they can walk at any time with zero consequences, given that they are 'volunteering', rather than employed by PyB, even though it uses the phrase '15-month contract' in the blurb.
 Jim Hamilton 27 Oct 2010
In reply to alan1234:

so as a charity, PyB does not need to comply with the National Minimum Wage laws ?
 Yong_Welsh 28 Oct 2010
In reply to MHutch: Do they not pay?
 Andy S 29 Oct 2010
In reply to lots of people: guys, you're all forgetting one thing. I've worked at many 'live-in' centres in the past. How it works is they pay you x amount and deduct y amount for 'accomodation and board'. Remember, in this position they are living on-site in their accomodation. So basically, how centres choose to operate is they decide how much the employee will get in their pocket when they get paid and work back from there. They can choose how much to deduct for accomodation and choose how much to pay them. It's quite simple really.
 Andy S 29 Oct 2010
In reply to Andy S: it would be a very different story if they were living independently. Many of these positions wouldn't happen if the trainees had to live off-site, I suspect.
 alan1234 30 Oct 2010
In reply to Andy S:

No, there is a national minimum wage offset for provided accommodation but its not actually that big - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/TheNationalMinimumWage/DG_...
 Luuuke 31 Oct 2010
I don't care about wage! i just reeeeealy want the job!
 Colin Crockart 04 Nov 2010
In reply to alan1234:

You cannot put a price on the experience, qualifications and client base you will get to work with/for. Thats why people PAY THEM £4k to do fast track instructor scheme.

Life is what you make of it!
 Andy S 04 Nov 2010
In reply to alan1234: good link!
Irishonthewirral 05 Nov 2010
In reply to Andy S: Just applied sounds like a great setup. Really cheap labour. However the ngb awards and experience you get are priceless.
shunty 05 Nov 2010
In reply to david morse:

Dave
My son is interested in an entry level position like this, but he is only 19. These positions call for people 21+. Why? insurance?
 Katie86 05 Nov 2010
In reply to shunty:
> (In reply to david morse)
>
> Dave
> My son is interested in an entry level position like this, but he is only 19. These positions call for people 21+. Why? insurance?

Minibus insurance?!

Jamie B 06 Nov 2010
In reply to shunty:

> My son is interested in an entry level position like this, but he is only 19. These positions call for people 21+. Why? insurance?

Maybe they are looking for people with a little more life experience, who have had a bit more time to decide that this is definately what they want. If your son is truly determined he should try a speculative application anyway, at very least it'll get him noticed for the future. Failing that there are plenty of other centres who will open this sort of scheme for younger applicants.

James Oswald 06 Nov 2010
In reply to alan1234:
I agree with what you're saying.
Does this mean PYB are breaking NMW laws?
James
 david morse 08 Nov 2010

I think its mainly to do with their minibus (and other vehicles) insurance, its part of our job to pick up and drop off clients to and from the train station, drive groups around the hills and sometimes do airport runs
 alan1234 13 Nov 2010
In reply to James Oswald:

It would seem so. I'm no expert, and I also think its an invaluable opportunity. I'd even consider doing it if that's what I wanted to go into, but none of this changes the fact that it seems to be illegal. Its really up to the individual to decide if they are willing to accept this, and Plas y Brenin to work out if its worth the risk (especially since I suspect it would be still worthwhile for them to employ these people on a minimum wage).
 david morse 13 Nov 2010
In reply to alan1234:

I had a quick look at the website and if you look at our £60 wage, free food and accommodation i would say it approximately reaches the national guideline minimum wage. When I first got here I got given a grands worth of free kit as well as a load of other kit since then, as well as the course prices I save cash on. Financially this scheme is what you make it, im here for other reasons than the cash side of things. Take a look at my logbook if you want an idea of how much time off Ive had since May.
 Katie86 15 Nov 2010
In reply to david morse:

Do you have a car with you in Capel Curig? and did you go into the CA scheme with savings behind you?

Katie
 david morse 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Katie86:

Yes I have a car, out of the 8 of us 7 have cars. I wouldn't say its essential but recommended, there are however always people driving out to different places climbing and paddling or just to chill out somewhere different than the center, as well as public transport.

Financially I had a small amount saved up. The 60£ a week can some weeks be more than enough and other weeks not. There are always opportunities to work in the kitchens, on the bar or cleaning for extra cash. The thing that gets me as far as money goes is kit and trips. You can get most things on trade through the center but this can suddenly start eating chunks of cash. Ive spent most of my savings on things like guidebooks, a bit of climbing and paddling kit, but the main things is petrol. A few trips to Pembroke, the Grit and presumably Scotland this winter soon start adding up. However for me one of the main reasons to be here is to make the most of the opportunities on days off or getting involved in activities through the center. These inevitably cost me a few quid (eg. NGB registrations, specific kit like spray decks etc.), but I'm not here to be scraping around spending every free minute doing extra shifts. I would expect whatever extra cash you have when you get here will probably be spent while youre here, but when it you totally run out of cash 60£ is enough to get by.
 chmckay 17 Nov 2010
In reply to Plas y Brenin: I was just wondering if there is any upper age limit on this position?
 richardh 24 Nov 2010
In reply to James Oswald:

> Does this mean PYB are breaking NMW laws?

I doubt it very much, these are volunteer positions.
Any organisation can give volunteers expenses back up to a certain level i.e. the £60.

note the difference in wording between that and the rate of pay that volunteers can get if they work on top of the volunteering for the sister company.
Adam Carey 01 Dec 2010
In reply to Plas y Brenin: I'd have jumped at the chance when I was younger for something like this - if I'd have known what I know now that is.
 Marcus99 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Plas y Brenin: Hi, is there any chance you'd accept a late application for these posts pls?
 Katie86 20 Dec 2010

Well I didn't get on to it (recieved an email from PYB on friday) - good thing I was chilling in the Tyn y Coed in Capel Curig enjoying a well earned pint when I found out. - Lessen the blow...

Some (instructor) friends in N. Wales have said I'd need to be an E whatever climber before i'm considered.

Will have to up the mark between now and next year (and put something "different" on the form as they now have applications from me 2 years running...Although there is that thought of give up on it...I may just keep up the obsession with working to fund expeditions - I think the Tien Shan is next...

How did anyone else who applied get on?
 tim newton 24 Dec 2010
In reply to Katie86:

Hi katie.

sorry you didn't get on. im quite surprised since you're clearly quite experienced and passionate about the outdoors, but if it's what you want dont give up on it. I dont see why you should need to be leading in the e grades to get on it, but i guess they want to see some commitment to climbing harder if you want to go for your mia.

ive applied for the scheme and got an interview, and now feel pretty lucky to have one.

as for going to the tien shan, it's awesome, i totally recommend it. kazakhstan and kyrgyzstan are both really intersting places and the mountains are fantastic.

best of luck
 peter myers 24 Dec 2010
In reply to Katie86:

Hi Katie, Sorry to hear you didn't get onto the CA sheme this year.

I was lucky enough to get onto the CA scheme in 2007-8.

At that time only one of the 8 CAs in my year was leading E1 or above when we arrived at PYB, (although many more were when we left), likewise only a couple were in the year that replaced us.

Although I don't know the criteria used to select CAs now, I do not believe you need to be a rock climbing superstar to get the job.

You sound like someone who is really enthused and motivated by your passion for the outdoors. Stick at it and I'm sure it will provide all sorts of fantastic oppoutunities in the future with or without the CA scheme.

Good luck.
 James Oswald 14 Mar 2011
In reply to David Morse:
I've emailed you.
Cheers
James

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...