UKC

Summer Alpine/UK Winter Hard Shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pats87 21 Sep 2010
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a summer alpine coat that I can use in the UK winter aswell. I prefer to wear more technical, closer fitting and shorter cut jackets than what would be seen as the normal UK winter shells, just find them more comfortable.

Anyway, do you guys think a full on Goretex pro shell would be better than a pac lite one? Id always go for a goretex pro shell normally but ive been reading alot lately about pac lite being recommended for the alps. Ideally id get one good jacket that will do me all year round.

Im leaning towards the Haglofs Spitz Jacket, but may rethink things depending on what you guys say. If anyone has used a Spitz could you let me know what you thought of it out in the real world?

Thanks!
 Sharp 21 Sep 2010
In reply to pats87: both are good fabrics but the paclite might not stand up as well to as much heavy use as a similar jacket with pro-shell. I suspect a paclite jacket would usually be aimed at summer use and for taking in the bag just in case but would obviously work just as well at keeping the rain out.
I don't see any real reason (apart from weight) why a pactlite would be more suitable for Alpine use than pro-shell but I could see why pro-shell would be better for UK winter than a paclite.
Ben

P.S. The difference in pack size is much more than the difference in weight. Probably not an ideal comparisson but I think an ME morpheus (pro-shell) weighs in at about 100g heavier than the Berghaus Paclite but the paclite packs down to not much bigger than your fist where as the pro-shell is more head size.
yelloman 21 Sep 2010
In reply to pats87: The weight of pro shell has been dropping over the last couple of years and their not far off the weight of paclite these days. Personally i think your probably better off getting a pro shell for the better durablity and slight increase in weight. As for the haglofs spitz, they look really well made, but the question is does it fit you. If it does go for it
In reply to pats87: Arcteryx alpha LT its expensive but its so light and is the business and is still 3layer pro shell you should seriously check it out
 bsavage 23 Sep 2010
In reply to pats87: Paclite is a fantastic material is very light, packs to nothing is very fragile. Saw someone tear a large hole in pacliite after with minimal force.
However if you are careful with it and happy to perform running repairs then it might be for you.
Personally I would go with proshell,I use the ME Kongar and find it a fantastic jacket (am on my second one), used it for weeks all over the alps in summer and all over the UK in winter for the last 3-4 years and love it.
I have never used the Spitz so could comment on that jacket.

Ben
 graycj 23 Sep 2010
In reply to pats87:
I've used the haglofs spitz in scottish winter and love it. It's fairly lightweight, breathable, has good venting and is very robust. Having never used it in the alps i can't comment on that. Definitely try it on before buying. It's cut fairly slim and i suspect the active cut won't work out brilliantly for everyone. But if it does fir it's absolutely cracking to climb in.
pats87 24 Sep 2010
In reply to graycj: Thanks for all your replys guys.

Graycj, how does the spitz handle rain?
 StuDoig 24 Sep 2010
In reply to pats87:
I can heartily recomment the Crux Flak Jacket. Light, hard wearing and a good technical cut. Minimalistic but has two "napoleon" pockets that will take a map+ case or guide book , pair of gloves etc, no pockets around the waist - but after a week or two I never missed them, esp with a harness on. EVent Fabric rather than the goretex your talking about - but I prefer it to goretex jackets I've used in the past.

Like most things though it'll be hard to say whether any particular jacket will fit you until you try it on! A good technical fit on me could be a tent on you and a girdle to someone else! For what its worth I normally find that jackets are too short in the arm or big in the body (if the arms fit) but the Flak jacket seems pretty spot on. The Torque jacket Crux do now looks pretty good as well though havn't tried it on!

Cheers,

Stuart
 MJH 24 Sep 2010
In reply to pats87: Just to a slightly different spin - I use Paclite jackets for the Alps and Scottish winter. I don't find durability an issue as the vast majority of the time it just sits in my bag. Personally I wear a softshell top (Rab Vapour rise) most of the time for both and only put a hard shell on if it is truly foul weather or I get caught in a storm.
 harry1969 24 Sep 2010
In reply to pats87: You could do worse than look at the Rab Momentum eVent jacket. I've got one, it's a technical cut, the arms are slightly long for the size allowing you to reach above your head very easily and it's lightweight with a hood that goes over a helmet and moves well when you look about.

Harry.
 Sam_in_Leeds 24 Sep 2010
In reply to pats87:

Rab Latok Alpine?

I've got one and it's fab.
 Caralynh 24 Sep 2010
In reply to pats87:

I have a Spitz jacket and love it. It's a few yrs old now (bought when they first came out) and has lasted well. Needs a good clean at the moment since being filthy is letting the face fabric wet out, but that's my fault, not the jacket's!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...