UKC

What to do about old sleeping bags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My 10+ year old RAB three season sleeping bag is leaking and the zipper is torn and I have bought a new. What to do with the old one? Just throwing it away breaks my heart. Can it be reused in some way?
Cheers
 Nigel R 25 Sep 2010
In reply to Sir Stefan: Loft insulation?
 Bob Aitken 25 Sep 2010
In reply to Sir Stefan:
A good few years ago we got the fill from two antique Blacks bags cleaned and recycled into a double-bed duvet by a local dressmaking/repair/etc shop that offered it as a standard service at modest cost. It's still keeping us warm.

If you can't find someone to do that, dog and cat rescue charities are happy to take old duvets for bedding, and I'm sure they'd be delighted to take your sleeping bag too, if that doesn't seem too sad a fate ...

Rob Naylor 26 Sep 2010
In reply to Sir Stefan:

No idea. Both our 30 year old "Daimor" down bags are in good nick, despite heavy use. Were 4 season but now only 2+ season and apart from occasional cleaning have had nothing done to them over 30 years.

I also have a 10 year old Rab that's in perfect nick, but that's mainly because it's so bloody hot that I rarely go anywhere cold enough to need to use it
 Trangia 26 Sep 2010
In reply to Rob Naylor:
> (In reply to Sir Stefan)
>
>>
> I also have a 10 year old Rab that's in perfect nick, but that's mainly because it's so bloody hot that I rarely go anywhere cold enough to need to use it
>

Ditto! Rab bags really are efficient.

Phil1919 26 Sep 2010
In reply to Rob Naylor: Is it possible to have a zip fitted retro. I was hard up when I bought my Rab 16 years ago and bought it without one. Big mistake.
 Phil1919 26 Sep 2010
In reply to Eeeerm: .......Saved ten quid though!
 sutty 26 Sep 2010
In reply to Eeeerm:

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=repairing+sleeping+bags&hl=en&cr=country...

Contact Rab to see if they will fit one, or one of the other firms on the link.

Several firms used to recover and rejuvenate old bags, if it has best quality down in in from years ago it may be worth doing.
 Phil1919 26 Sep 2010
In reply to sutty: Thanks for that.
 Timmd 26 Sep 2010
In reply to Eeeerm:

Thier website has changed, but Mountaineering Designs will fit a zip, and a zip baffle as well I guess if you ask.

Cheers
Tim
In reply to Nigel R: It's down.
In reply to bobaitken: Not a bad idea at all. Thanks.
In reply to Eeeerm: Saved weight too
In reply to Sir Stefan: Thanks to all for useful links and ideas.
Cheers
 Crank 26 Sep 2010
In reply to Sir Stefan:

Sir, you should not be sleeping with a 10 year old, no matter how much of a bag she is!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...