UKC

Compression Socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 27 Sep 2010
I am seeing more and more people wearing these as races.

What benefit are the supposed to give? Do they work?

I suspect I would not find them comfortable and have an aversion to anything that makes me look even more of a tit.
 andy 27 Sep 2010
In reply to The New NickB: I have awful calf problems and the extra bit of support they give seems to help me - may well be psychological, but I've started to wear them more and more. I'd love not to because you do look an utter nob in them, but I've missed so many runs because of tweaked calves I'm prepared to try anything. Once I'm back to full fitness and down to my racing weight I'll joyfully stop wearing them!

I did wear them rolled down in the Coniston 14 last year which was my comeback/test race after 6 weeks off with a calf injury and 3 weeks before Blackpool marathon - I ended up pulling one of them up - presumably in the mistaken belief that would make me look less of a dick...

I leave you to decide:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2SSm7395J2U/S69S7FJcitI/AAAAAAAAAKk/OncKnscNl6A/s...
 Banned User 77 27 Sep 2010
In reply to The New NickB:
> and have an aversion to anything that makes me look even more of a tit.

Same here.

I'm finding that even the hardiest of fell runners are shifting across...I've not yet..I'm too fat for them..I think anyone over 13 stone shouldn't wear them..

But seriously almost all who have worn them, swear by them..
 alicia 27 Sep 2010

I think they're amazing, and I hate it when people buy "trendy" gear, so the fact that I was willing to buy them is saying something. I have ankle problems and the extra support they give helps that, plus I think the added support reduces calf fatigue if you're running 30+ miles (they may well work for shorter distances too, I just haven't tried them out for that yet).
 alicia 27 Sep 2010

Oh, and as far as the comfortable part--if you don't like the material for wearing as socks, you can buy compression sleeves and wear your normal socks with them. The downside is that there's not as much ankle support that way, though.
 bobert 27 Sep 2010
In reply to The New NickB: I wore some for the first time in a 100Km ultra earlier this summer. I led from the outset and spent the remaining 11 hours out at the front on my own and soon forgot about the none fashion statement. What i noticed though was i felt less trashed in the lower legs at the end. I usually get very sore just above my ankles (medially in the soft tissue next to the bone). This time i felt no pain and felt quite fresh still in the legs. I wore them again on this years UTMB but only did 20 miles before it was pulled so i'll wait to do another ultra before i'm fully sold on them. At least in France virtually everyone running was wearing them. Not too sure whether i would wear them for the shorter fell races back home though. Got to keep some hill cred.
OP The New NickB 27 Sep 2010
In reply to bobert:

Interesting, I will maybe look at getting some to try on longer runs. I don't think I will bother for the AS fell races, cross country and 5ks I am mainly doing at the moment.
 StefanB 28 Sep 2010

Was very skeptical, but gave in tried them. I'm a convert now and wear them for anything longer than 15km. Apart from making my calves feel less tires, they also keep them from getting scratched by vegetation when wearing shorts.
 Mr Fuller 28 Sep 2010
In reply to The New NickB: I was in Courmayeur for the start of the Tour de Mont Blanc ultrarace and everu competitor was wearing compression socks or full-length compression trousers. That must be a good endorsement.

I've used them while running because I have extremely tight achilles tendons that take a battering. The socks help and I don't get quite so stiff. They work for cycling too.
 Jim Hamilton 28 Sep 2010
> I've used them while running because I have extremely tight achilles tendons that take a battering.

do they help with achilles tendon problems ? - someone told me in a running shop that they wouldn't
 yorkshireman 28 Sep 2010
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

I always end up with cramped calves on long runs (eg 30km+) but have always managed to hobble through to the end. I wonder if they will help here.

I would rather there be another solution (better hydration, stretching etc) as like other people say I would rather not look more of a spoon as it is!
 andy 28 Sep 2010
In reply to Jim Hamilton: I think it's a slim line between achilles and calf problems, as they're joined together! I'd say my calf problems are generally in the muscle further up and (as i said it may be psychological) they certainly make me feel like everything's better supported. Must say i'm not sure how they'd affect things way down in my achiilles though.

Have just been out for a tempo session at lunchtime without compression socks perhaps I'm being weaned off them at last! Wiggle have some Nike ones at just over a tenner btw.
 fimm 28 Sep 2010

Equally popular in triathlon circles - my bloke swears by them (he sometimes even uses them if he's going to be on his feet a lot, but not training/racing).

(IainR, you can't possibly be fat, the amount of running you do...)
 TeaGirl 28 Sep 2010

I've run with and without and it really makes no difference to me. I find my compression tights are nice for recovery after hard training or racing but this would make sense in terms of aiding venous return and supporting fatigued/damaged muscles, whereas I'm not sure what the basis for wearing them whilst racing is.
 andy 28 Sep 2010
In reply to fimm: But triathletes positively revel in looking stupid - why else would so many fat people wear lycra and pointy hats?
 andy 28 Sep 2010
In reply to TeaGirl:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> I've run with and without and it really makes no difference to me. I find my compression tights are nice for recovery after hard training or racing but this would make sense in terms of aiding venous return and supporting fatigued/damaged muscles, ...

I think you've hit the nail on the head - if, like me, you've got calves that feel like they are generally on the cusp of going twang that extra support gives a bit of confidence whether you're racing, training or whatever - personally don't wear them other than when actually running

>whereas I'm not sure what the basis for wearing them whilst racing is.

I'd assume Paula Radcliffe has looked into it though...
 TeaGirl 28 Sep 2010
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to TeaGirl)
> [...]

> I'd assume Paula Radcliffe has looked into it though...

She also wears a titanium necklace...
 andy 28 Sep 2010
In reply to TeaGirl:
> (In reply to andy)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> She also wears a titanium necklace...

Lightweight, functional, corrosion free - ideal for the lady marathon runner looking to combine performance with style.
 TeaGirl 28 Sep 2010
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to TeaGirl)
> [...]
>
> Lightweight, functional, corrosion free - ideal for the lady marathon runner looking to combine performance with style.

...and sponsorship deals? They make some pretty crazy claims http://www.phitenuk.com/
 alicia 28 Sep 2010

The obvious way to settle this is for you to go out and do a marathon wearing a compression sock on one leg and a regular sock on the other, and report back to us! You'll definitely look stylish, too
 andy 28 Sep 2010
In reply to alicia: I did, as the photo above shows, run half the Coniston 14 with one up and one down. I definitely looked an utter, utter nob (aided by the '70's style split shorts).
 andy 28 Sep 2010
In reply to TeaGirl:
> (In reply to andy)
> [...]
>
> ...and sponsorship deals? They make some pretty crazy claims http://www.phitenuk.com/

is that what those are? I keep seeing people wearing them.
 alicia 28 Sep 2010
In reply to andy:

Sorry, I missed that. So the verdict was in favour of them?
 MightyMidget 28 Sep 2010
I haven't tried the socks, I use full length tights. They were recommended by a friend who doesn't usually fall for gimmicks and I've only used them a few times but so far I think they're great. My muscles still get tired but they don't ache like they used to.

Having said that, I'm just getting back into running and am a little overweight, so I think the support of them is what's helping me the most. I'm not sure how they'd be if I were already as slender and toned as I'm planning to end up!
 TeaGirl 29 Sep 2010
In reply to alicia:

I think I possibly haven't given them a fair try - did a half marathon in them in terrible weather, felt like utter rubbish and missed out on the time I needed by a minute despite feeling like I'd run as hard as I could. Then did a full marathon without them and had a great run. As a researcher I should probably not conclude that they are either good or bad from my study
Page 29 Sep 2010

i find it really interesting that people seem to think of these socks as something of a mechanical support. fair enough if some find this helps with certain mechanical issues of their legs and feet but the principle focus of these socks is to aid vascular return. this reduces blood pooling and the build up of metbaloites in the lower legs. it improves venous return which in turn aids recovery and reduces fatigue.
 Banned User 77 29 Sep 2010
In reply to Page: I thought one of the principle focus's was reducing that shock as the muscles bang up and down as you run, this movement is reduced by wearing the socks... I saw a video at one of the expo's at the UTMB, and they did seem quite convincing...
Page 29 Sep 2010
In reply to IainRUK:

i'm sure there probably is some truth in that but the lvel of compression we're talking about here is fairly minimal compared to medical grade. regardless of the claims i personally wouldn't think that grade of compression would be significant enough to be beneifical for force reduction. just my opinion though.
 andy 29 Sep 2010
In reply to alicia:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> Sorry, I missed that. So the verdict was in favour of them?

If you look at my post from 8:35 Monday there's a link to me looking a right dobber with one sock up and one down. I have no idea if it made any difference but I ran a marathon a fortnight later and got round ok!
 TeaGirl 29 Sep 2010
In reply to IainRUK & Page:

A chappie I spoke to recently who is looking at changes in muscle movement with compression tights has so far found that they reduce magnitude but increase frequency of oscillation. He wasn't convinced... However, from an anecdotal point of view, stuff like tubigrip which doesn't have much mechanical function is still liked by patients, possibly due to its protective 'feeling' and increased stimulation of skin receptors - I wonder whether this is part of the appeal of compressionwear.
Page 29 Sep 2010
In reply to TeaGirl:

Pt's tell me all the time how supportive they find the thinnest (and most worn and tattered) layer of Tubigrip. It’s a possible placebo effect but who cares if it works? Scientifically I’m always looking for more evidence, so as it stands, the proven efficacy of compression socks/tights is related (at this stage) to aiding venous return. With Tubigrip, and other such materials against the skin, proprioception is thought to be improved. This may improve co-ordination and avoidance of unwanted movement which can lead to injury. Subconsciously I think this is one of the reasons people get on with seemingly light weight supports.

TeaGirl 29 Sep 2010
In reply to Page:

Out of interest, given that prescription compression hosiery is graded and applied from the toes up but commercially available compression wear is often limited to calves, or even upper leg only, do you think it even aids venous return to any significant degree?
Page 29 Sep 2010
In reply to TeaGirl:

Yes I do. Venous return is largely dependant upon the calf muscle pump mechanism so has very little to do with the foot and ankle. Therefore, the improvements resulting from macrovascular compression over the calf for the average person with normal vascular integrity will successfully aid this mechanism. This also has a positive impact on the micorvascular system of the lower leg. Medical grade compression which varies regionally over the foot, ankle and calf is more relevant to applied bandaging.
 TeaGirl 29 Sep 2010
In reply to Page:

I'm aware of the principles of venous return, however medical compression hosiery (not applied bandaging) starts below the calf - usually half way along the foot - and is graded in such a way as to assist with return of blood against gravity whilst utilising the veins' one way valve system. Surely applying a compressive force over the muscle itself won't do this as effectively, especially when applied to the thigh?
Page 29 Sep 2010
In reply to TeaGirl:

Venous return is aided by the calf muscle – not just the valves in the veins; that’s an aside. As the calf contracts it basically squeezes the blood forcibly against gravity back to the heart. Any increase in pressure over this contracting muscle aids this return. The compression over the muscles exerts increased pressure within the vasculature. In addition, this aids the muscle pump which is largely responsible for venous return in the lower leg, as already stated. This occurs less in the thigh as it does in the lower leg due to the evolution of walking on two legs. Gravity is the enemy of bipedal stance/walking and therefore a system is needed to combat it. Compression, in theory, would work on the thighs but be less effective since the muscle pump mechanism is not the same as in the lower leg and blood pooling cannot realistically occur here. Therapeutically, compression over the thigh helps to reduce inflammation and the build up of tissue fluids within the muscles here - something cyclists have unwittingly known for many years.
 TeaGirl 29 Sep 2010
In reply to Page:

As I said, I'm aware of the principles of venous return. Lots of athletes enthuse about compression wear and I'm interested in what effect they are actually feeling. I can see how post exercise when blood is more likely to be pooling, assisting venous return may be beneficial, however is this really the main effect that athletes are experiencing *during* exercise? Surely in a fit, muscled individual the addition of minimal force being exerted on the outside of the muscle when the muscle is already contracting hard with every step is going to be minimal? Most of the current research into compression wear is looking at the effect on tissue oscillation - anyone who wears a sports bra can vouch for the effectiveness of this - regardless of whether it's beneficial or not isn't this more likely to be the effect they're feeling?
Page 29 Sep 2010
In reply to TeaGirl:

I think the reduction in muscular oscillation is likely to have some degree of benefit but I am more inclined to believe the main element is improved venous return. Having thought very carefully about your breast analogy, a reduction in muscular oscillation may make some individuals feel more comfortable during certain high impact actives as an added benefit. ‘Anti-oscillation socks’ does have a certain ring to it.
 alicia 29 Sep 2010
In reply to TeaGirl:

If taping a finger can provide support to a tendon, wouldn't compressing a calf provide support to the calf muscle? It seems like it should be the same principle.
Page 29 Sep 2010
In reply to alicia:

Compression does support. However, taping for a tendon, especially in a finger for example, is quite different. Taping the tendon is done in an effort to reduce tensile forces acting through the tendon - the tape actively takes some of the load and is usually done with non-stretch tape.
 TeaGirl 29 Sep 2010
In reply to alicia:

Most taping's done with fairly non-stretchy material so it provides actual mechanical support and stops the injured bit being stretched. The problem with compression wear is, even if it initially provides a reasonable amount of support, once worn and washed a couple of times this will be much reduced. There are lots of studies which do show positive outcomes with compression wear, but most of these look at reduction of muscle movement rather than circulation. They also seem able to improve performance (in squat jumps for example) but it's unclear exactly how. Also in some of the studies the same outcomes were found for normal tights as for compression tights. Loads of athletes swear by them, so they're undeniably beneficial in some way - probably a combination of factors.
 alicia 29 Sep 2010
In reply to Page:
> (In reply to alicia)
>
> Compression does support. However, taping for a tendon, especially in a finger for example, is quite different. Taping the tendon is done in an effort to reduce tensile forces acting through the tendon - the tape actively takes some of the load and is usually done with non-stretch tape.

So would taping with stretchy tape still take some of the load, just less than non-stretch tape would?
Page 29 Sep 2010
In reply to alicia:

Yes, but it'd be relative to the degree of stretch available in the tape.
 alicia 29 Sep 2010
In reply to TeaGirl:
> (In reply to alicia)
>
> ... The problem with compression wear is, even if it initially provides a reasonable amount of support, once worn and washed a couple of times this will be much reduced.

Oh no, please don't provide me with any reason to spend yet more money on running...

I do think that the main benefits I can feel are increased ankle support and reduced calf fatigue rather than improved recovery from any kind of circulation benefit. Then again, maybe I just stop paying attention to how I feel the day after the race and don't notice about the recovery!
 TeaGirl 29 Sep 2010
In reply to alicia:

New Skinz every month might be a bit excessive
OP The New NickB 03 Oct 2010

I bought some hilly graded compression socks and wore them for a BM Fell Race yesterday, I did not run particularly well due to the start of a cold, but the socks seem to have help quite a bit with recovery from fatigue in my calves.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...