UKC

Does Grivel Horn fit DMM Fly?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RichJ634 04 Oct 2010
As per title. Thinking about fitting them to my Flys for a little more grip support. Grivel triggers fit great.
Cheers
 Martin W 04 Oct 2010
 mlmatt 04 Oct 2010
In reply to Ricardo Rockmunch:

I've done the same as Martin W and retrofitted some quark griprests to my flys. They are a pretty easy modification to make. I added some duct tape to make the picky rest a little less severe on the pinky after a couple of routes use.

Getting a cobalt/titanium tipped drill bit is best and drill it out slowly not letting the metal heat up.

to Martin W, I see you've add a grivel finger rest? do you find that it makes much of a difference?

hope your mod goes well. I tied a loop of 3mm cord through the spike of each axe and clipped in a lanyard (3mm elastic and camp nano biner) so I didn't drop them. Useful for if your not used to not having a least.
OP RichJ634 04 Oct 2010
In reply to Martin W: Cool idea. Unfortunately I have no equipment for drilling here at uni and I don't really want to buy a drill and drill piece. I'd rather fit the grivel horn, or failing that grivel slider. I know the slider fits but the horn is less bulky.
 gear boy 04 Oct 2010
In reply to Ricardo Rockmunch: as you have no tools then the slider is your only option, you may have to cut away the rubber grip at the base to get it on, and it feels slightly different as your hand position moves up the shaft slightly,

either that or find a mate with a drill and a 5mm drill bit to fit quark rest,

Grivel horns looked a total no go when I researched, I fitted quark rest and it works good, but not as good as blowing loads of money on new tools!
 petestack 04 Oct 2010
In reply to gear boy:
> you may have to cut away the rubber grip at the base to get it on

Shouldn't have to...
http://www.petestack.com/blog/climbing/clippers-and-grip-rests-for-dmm-flys...

(PS Now happily using my BD Spinner on BD Vipers!)
 Martin W 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Ricardo Rockmunch:
> (In reply to Martin W) Cool idea. Unfortunately I have no equipment for drilling here at uni

Does your university have an engineering department? If so then I bet you could get someone there to do it for you, probably in return for beer. Best to approach a lab staff member, you don't want to let engineering students loose on your axes. Especially not engineering students with beer inside them. I know, I used to be one...
OP RichJ634 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Martin W: Haha. My climbing partner is an engineering student. As it happens I've decided to just use leashes and make do without any mods. I'd rather keep the money I'd spend on horns/sliders for a better of pair axes in a few years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...