UKC

leo soloing in peaks - wildest dream

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 08 Oct 2010
Great movie but was wondering what route Leo Houlding soloed in it in The Peaks. Anyone know?
In reply to jules699:
> Great movie but was wondering what route Leo Houlding soloed in it in The Peaks. Anyone know?

<Sits back with popcorn>

P.S. I thought The Wildest Dream was about Everest?!
OP jules699 08 Oct 2010
In reply to Looking for Lucky:

it is but there is bit before about conrad selection leo etc
 Rob Exile Ward 08 Oct 2010
In reply to jules699: Haven't seen the film so which peaks would those be? Alpine peaks, snowy peaks, distant peaks?...
 Petarghh 08 Oct 2010
In reply to jules699: it was flying buttress direct on stanage edge.
OP jules699 08 Oct 2010
In reply to Petarghh:

Ah, cheers. I thought it might be that but wasnt certain. Thanks...
 Fredt 08 Oct 2010
In reply to Petarghh:
> (In reply to jules699) it was flying buttress direct on stanage edge.

Ah, so he must have meant the Peak

If only he'd said so in the first place.

OP jules699 09 Oct 2010
In reply to Fredt:

Padantic fookwit! Ok - The Peak District - Better??????????????
Clauso 09 Oct 2010
In reply to jules699:
>
>
> Padantic fookwit!

Pedantic f*ckwit?
In reply to Fredt:

Now I know this must have been covered/done to death before but why do people get so upset about this? The Lake District is known as the Lakes, why shouldn't the Peak District be known as the Peaks?

I'm sympathetic to the view that outsiders should respect local customs but is there any other basis on which the Peak argument is based?
 Al Evans 10 Oct 2010
In reply to Richard Gilbert: This has been done to death, yes there is, there are no peaks in the Peak District, it is named after an ancient tribe that lived in the area, generally spelt peacs or pics.
 Timmd 10 Oct 2010
In reply to Richard Gilbert:
> (In reply to Fredt)
>
> Now I know this must have been covered/done to death before but why do people get so upset about this? The Lake District is known as the Lakes, why shouldn't the Peak District be known as the Peaks?
>
> I'm sympathetic to the view that outsiders should respect local customs but is there any other basis on which the Peak argument is based?

http://peakdistrict.nationaltrust.org.uk/our-work/history

Vikings and Anglo Saxons
410 - 1066

A diminishing Roman Empire, laid the way for Viking warriors and pirates from Germany and Holland to invade the shores of Britain. The land was divided into four Kingdoms, the Peak District falling into the boundaries of Mercia, which was the most powerful of all the kingdoms. The Anglo-Saxons settled on the 'Peac' land as farmers, miners, hunters and skilled craftsmen

Circa 410AD
Anglo-Saxons settle on the 'Peac' as farmers, miners, hunters and craftsmen. They lived in villages consisting of small houses surrounded by fields.

Circa 410-1000AD
The Danish word 'both' - a temporary shelter - is connected with Barber Booth, Upper Booth and Nether Booth, all in Edale. The Old Norse 'skœti' (overhanging rock) appears in Kinder Scout.

Circa 500AD
Hope CrossAnglo-Saxon stone carvings are scattered across the Peak District. The stone cross of Hope was carved after the Anglo-Saxons converted to Christianity and is carved with their distinctive spiral patterns.

Circa 600AD
An Anglo-Saxon tribe called the Pecsaetan settle in the Peak District, giving their name to the area and renamed most of the Roman settlements.

Circa 700AD
Edale CrossAnglo-Saxon stone carvers place Edale Cross on the ancient Edale Road to mark the parish boundary.

Circa 920ADKing Edward the Elder reunites the English and Danish settlers in Mercia, by marching to the 'Peac Lond' and orders the construction of a burh - a stronghold defended by local people.

I don't know if this counts as a reason or not, but I thought you'd find it interesting.

Cheers
Tim
 Timmd 10 Oct 2010

I just find the arguments funny and say Peak District.

()
In reply to Al Evans & Timmd:

Thank you very much, settled it for me with a very good reason indeed.

I call it the Peak out of respect for local custom but now I know why and will, perhaps, be a bit evangelical about it when others do not.

RPG

DancingOnRock 10 Oct 2010
In reply to Al Evans: So it's the Peak District. Fine. If I go to see my friend Mr and Mrs. Smith I could say I am going to the Smith's.

We could technically say we are going to the Peak's. Then as it seems common to remove apostrophes on place names wouldn't we be going to the Peaks?
In reply to TimR:

You mean if the Peak were in fact a married couple?!

jcm
 DancingOnRock 10 Oct 2010
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to TimR)
>
> You mean if the Peak were in fact a married couple?!
>
> jcm

Well they were a family or tribe wern't they. You're going over to their place.
 Timmd 11 Oct 2010
> (In reply to Al Evans & Timmd)
>
> Thank you very much, settled it for me with a very good reason indeed.
>
> I call it the Peak out of respect for local custom but now I know why and will, perhaps, be a bit evangelical about it when others do not.
>
> RPG

I only say Peak District because I always have really, it's not for any technical or intellectual reason. It's more of a force of habit, and so I know that people know where i'm on about.

Each to thier own in the end...

Cheers
Tim

()
In reply to Timmd:

Well yeah, but then we only say London because that's what the place is called. Nothing stops anyone having a pet name for it and calling it Londons; it's just a little bit tiresome.

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...