UKC

Crux Torpedo, or PHD Hispar??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
arty11 10 Oct 2010
Hi everyone,

Been looking at going with a dedicated 'winter' and summer bag and selling my Rab Atlas 750 as an all year solution. I have narrowed it down to the Crux Torpedo or PHD hispar for winter, then a lightweight for summer, probably a minimus or similar. What I am wanting to know is, has anyone out there ever used a Crux torpedo(500 or 700)??

I am leaning more towards the Crux, but am not sure whether to go with a 500 or a 700? Will a 500 be enough for UK winter in the Lakes, Wales and Scotland?? Ideally I would like to keep weight down, but I'm happy to go to the 700 if this is the more winter specific!

Alternatively. Has anyone got, or have tried the PHD hispar 500? This is rated to a decent temperature, yet is very light! The Crux's waterproof cover still keeps tempting me though! It would banish the damp bag from condensation forever hopefully!!

Anyway, if any guys have experience of either bag, I'd be really grateful of their thoughts!

Cheers

Arty
In reply to arty11:
I've just got back from using the Hispar 500 in the Himalaya for a month. It was excellent in all conditions down to in excess of -10oC, to the extent that the outside of the bag froze and I was still warm inside. The fabrics on the bag were excellent in terms of water repellency and dried very quickly. Ultimately an excellent bag, which is light, packs small and is very warm too.

Jonny

arty11 10 Oct 2010
In reply to Jonathan Phillips:

Hi Jonny and thanks for your reply!! Most helpful!

Have you by any chance tried it in UK conditions yet? Just wondering what it might be like in our, more damp climate!? Good to know it performed well for you though regardless!

Arty
In reply to arty11:
Not tried it in the UK yet. It got pretty wet at the start of the exped as we caught the end of the monsoon. Despite getting quite damp it recovered it's loft well. I would use mine for Scottish winter, for 1-2 day excursions without a worry.
After that, I'd be looking at getting a chance to dry it out somewhere, but I would do that for any of my down bags.

HTH

Jonny
arty11 11 Oct 2010
In reply to Jonathan Phillips:

That's a big help thanks Johnny! Thanks very much!

Good to hear that the damp didn't affect the loft too badly. I think that is what concerns me, as I need something that can loft and keep lofting even if the weather is damp and cold as my usage is all pretty much all UK conditions.

Does anyone have any experience of the Crux also??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...