UKC

New Tremadog guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James B 10 Oct 2010
I understand there's a new CC guide out but have missed the reviews. Has anyone bought it - if so, what do you think?

Can you find climbs and follow routes more easily than with the old book...?

Can anyone post a link to a review on here or somewhere?

Thankee
 remus Global Crag Moderator 10 Oct 2010
OP James B 10 Oct 2010
In reply to remus: Thanks
 Ander 11 Oct 2010
In reply to James B:

It's still hard to find the bottom of routes- that's becuase it's always going to be hard at Tremadog.

The bottom of routes are obscured in photos by the trees. My advice is to locate the right area of crag from the road before diving in amongst the trees. At least then you can be on the right buttress to start looking for the fine detail in the route description.
 adam06 11 Oct 2010
In reply to Ander: the new guide has small photos showing the bottom of some of the routes.

good guide. main thing is the stars are back! so all the forgotten classics that didnt make NWrock can be climbed again
OP James B 12 Oct 2010
In reply to Ander:
> (In reply to James B)
>
... to start looking for the fine detail in the route description.

As long as the route descriptions are better than in the old guide I'll be happy. I seem to remember a couple of route descriptions beginning:

Route X: start to the right of Route Y
Route Y: start to the left of Route X

?
 philmorris 12 Oct 2010
In reply to Sterling:
Had a look at this link
http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/guidebooks/ci-wales-tremadog.html and am intrigued as to why the second on Vector is belayed at the top of the ochre slab. Is this the modern way of doing the route or just how these two did it? I remember traversing left to belay in the cave (also on Nimbus). Uncomfortable but that's how it was described.
 adam06 12 Oct 2010
In reply to philmorris: yea its odd that pic... when i did it we used the cave too.. an the new guide says the belay is in the cave. must be just them.
 The Pylon King 12 Oct 2010
In reply to adam06:

maybe they were thinking outside the box
 philmorris 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Dark Mavis:
Kids these days have no sense of history - if belaying in the cave was good enough for Brown, then it's good enough for me.
 The Pylon King 13 Oct 2010
In reply to philmorris:
> (In reply to Dark Mavis)
> Kids these days have no sense of history - if belaying in the cave was good enough for Brown, then it's good enough for me.

Like hemp ropes, big boots, and no runners?

Sterling 14 Oct 2010
In reply to philmorris:
Yes, you can belay in either location quite comfortably. I prefer the cave though. Some even choose to abseil off from the cave after having done the Ochre Slab pitch.
Perhaps there was someone else belayed in the cave already?
No idea really, lets just assume it was how they chose to climb that day, for whatever reason...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...