UKC

Xscape wall, Milton Keynes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Garnett 18 Sep 2001
I seem to have 2 hours to kill in somewhere called Milton Keynes this Friday afternoon. A quick scan of the BMC wall list tells me there is somewhere called Xscape at the Snowdome.

Given that I have to drive home afterwards, spending the afternoon in the pub isn't an option, so is it worth my forking out £4.90 to go bouldering?
graeme alderson 18 Sep 2001
In reply to Dave Garnett: I've never been myself but if you do go could you let me know what its like.
Universal Soldier 18 Sep 2001
In reply to graeme alderson:
you mean 7 quid. It's £4.90 if you pay the £20 for a years membership.
If you're on your own it's worth a look, as all of the routes (YES ALL 8 OF THEM) have auto belays.

The most expensive (per route) wall in the country. (maybe even the world)

Let me know how it goes. I fuffing hate it ;~(
The size of the building and they put the w*nkiest wall in the world in it, and then get knobs to run it "You don't wanna do it like that mate, you wann do it like this" F*CK OFFFF!!! Have you ever done any REAL climbing OUTSIDE YOU F*CKING MORON???

Sorry everyone but I do feel better after that
OP Dave Garnett 18 Sep 2001
In reply to Universal Soldier:

Mmmmm. Can't wait. On the other hand, the autobelay thing sounds intriguing. Presumably it, you know... works?

Graeme: Happy to give you a field report if I go. You're in luck, someone else is paying my travel expenses.
In reply to Dave Garnett:
Yeah, mostly it works.
I think they've only had 2 or 3 "incidents". But each time I believe it locked off, rather than the opposite, which wouldn't be nice. Seems that 'outside climbers' don't trust 'em and indoor climbers do. Letting go that first time is a mind game. There's no tight rope, and no way of testing whether it's 'got' you.
John2 18 Sep 2001
In reply to Dave Garnett: Autobelays are great fun.The one at the WICC is 17 or 18 metres above the floor and you have to jump off from that height. Nothing happens for the first couple of feet, and the first time you do it you think you're going to die. Then it sedately lowers you at 1m per second.
daveG 18 Sep 2001
In reply to John2:

Yeah, I've used the one at the WICC. Taking the first jump on it is definitely a mind game, but once you get used to it it's great fun. I got to the stage where I was only using it so I could get the ride back down again!! Bit sad really, but fun none the less

Dave
Thirsty 18 Sep 2001
Hello Universal Soldier,

Stop chatting and get the teas in. The office needs you!!
In reply to Thirsty:
Shiit found. Time for a name change :~(
FatBoy 18 Sep 2001
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Universal Soldier has it spot on - unfortunately.

I joined the gym at Xscape on the premis that a climbing wall was being built. Then it opened. I laughed. I tried it. I cried. It is a 'lifestyle wall' to go along with their 'lifestyle shops'. Buy the rugged Pepsi Max outdoor chic in their overpriced shops and then pretend to be a 'radical' outdoor dude on their shitty little wall. And as for the Gladiators style self belay - pfpffftttttt, I can think of no better way to rid the world of lifestyle climbers. Go on - go outside and try to belay someone. I would happily nuke the entire complex given a small red button connected to a rather large ICBM.

In the words of Bill Hicks "Piece o'shit - walk away"
Al Evans 18 Sep 2001
In reply to Dave Garnett: Dave, they have one of those auto belat things at WICC, I havent used it myself but it seems to work. Shame you didnt make the picnic, an excellent day.
In reply to FatBoy:
Hahahaha. Yeah what a disapointment. But don't nuke the whole place, the cinema's great!
FatBoy 18 Sep 2001
In reply to Universal Soldier:

Granted m8 What a fine idea - beeeeerrr in the cinema Well, it made Planet of the Apes more watchable anyway.
OP Dave Garnett 18 Sep 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

Sorry about the picnic, I unexpectedly had to help out with a neighbour who might have had a coronary (false alarm in the end). I was looking forward to it. Some other time.

I'll try not to be fatally contaminated by the rugged outdoor chic. Sounds like 2 hours might be all the 'lifestyle' I can cope with.

However, given that I will just have spent two days going though Infringement and Validity finals papers with a bunch of trainee patent agents, even an autobelay will probably seem like good company.
 Chris Fryer 18 Sep 2001
In reply to Dave Garnett: There is a small bouldering wall too, which looked ok, if you dont mind people staring at you through the glass wall behing like you are in a gold fish bowl. Otherwise you could go skiing or snowboarding, if you can afford it.
Dave Garnett 20 Sep 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer:

Well, here I am in downtown cybercentre in Milton Keynes having just got back from the lifestyle choice that was the Silver Trek climbing wall.

You're right, it is bizarre. It's actually in a shop. As an in-shop facility to check out those new rock boots you can't decide about, it's well above average, but a serious climbing wall? Non. Route setting? Pah!

The autobelay is like parachuting to the sound a tube train makes, and I very nearly reversed the first route rather than let go, but after a while it's a bit addictive.

The whole QuickSilver/Oxbow/Oakley/Landrover (yes Landrover is a lifestyle brand now) thing is a bit nauseating... Hang on, what am I wearing? What am I driving? NOOOOO!
Al Evans 20 Sep 2001
In reply to Dave Garnett: Dave,are you ok, you seemed like such a nice sensible man when we met. This wall at Milton Keynes may have a lot to answer for!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...