UKC

Job seeking / recruitment scams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 15 Oct 2010
Start job hunting a couple of weeks ago and in between the genuine bites there's a fair few scumbags out there who seem to harvest CV details and fire off all manner of pyramid schemes, get rich quick schemes to your inbox. Here's a the latest one...what do you think the angle is? I'm working on the 'if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is'

Plus, getting job offers from a recruiter with a random Yahoo address is never a good sign, is it...

Not sure why the from and reply to names are different, or who 'leena-g-patel' is.

==================================================
from Miranda Snow <femi4f6odd@yahoo.com>
reply-to Sandra.Molins@elm-career.com
to leena_g_patel@live.co.uk

dateWed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:32 AM
subjectJob offer id 1286937767
mailed-byyahoo.com
signed-byyahoo.com

hide details Oct 13 (2 days ago)

Hi,

We have reviewed your resume on Totaljobs and want to consider you for the job of administrative assistant/sales support. You'll work at home at your free time.

ELM, a luxury goods corporation, presents the best off-season luxury finds from the most prestigious international designers and collectibles from the rarest collections at irresistible prices.

Candidates for the vacancy should have outstanding organizational skills plus the ability to effectively multi-task. Ideal candidates have a firm focus on daily operational excellence, and a personal style that builds trust, and inspires loyalty. The applicant have to be motivated, practical, be able to study and adapt quickly.

Other functions of the Administrative Assistant/Sales Support contain, but are not limited to:

• Incorporating effective priorities for the virtual office job
• Administer everyday financial responsibilities for customers
• Reporting online every day
• Preparing brief summary reports, and weekly financial reports

Salary part-time: 1,800GBP/month, plus expenses.

If you have any questions please contact us via email or via fax +1-949-271-5335.

All the best,
Laura Jenkins
ELM Team

fxceltic 15 Oct 2010
In reply to ThunderCat: its a scam, they want you to get in touch then they will ask you for say £100 to cover application costs or similar.

person on the email is Laura, but its sent by Miranda (whose email address is "femi..." a nigerian name, say no more), but you should reply to sandra, whose email address is leena.

couldnt be more obvious.
OP ThunderCat 15 Oct 2010
In reply to fxceltic:

Oh yeah, it's obvious it's a scam, I was just wondering what the scam actually is in this case.

From the link it seems that someone has been given a cheque to cash, and then has been asked to deposit the cash in another account...and then the cheque turns out to be a dud.

tom290483 15 Oct 2010
In reply to ThunderCat:

hey, not sure what the scam is but I can tell you this....I work in recruitment and if I ever see an interesting CV on totaljobs, monster, jobsite etc then I will pick up the phone and ring you myself so we can chat about the position, whats on offer etc.

I certainly wouldnt expect you to call an international number!

Good luck with the job hunt and on that note may I recommend....www.search.co.uk
OP ThunderCat 15 Oct 2010
In reply to tom290483:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
>
>
> I certainly wouldnt expect you to call an international number!
>
haha, yeah that was the other thing that I thought was a bit of a giveaway!
 Dominion 15 Oct 2010
In reply to ThunderCat:

> ==================================================
> from Miranda Snow <femi4f6odd@yahoo.com>
> reply-to Sandra.Molins@elm-career.com
> to leena_g_patel@live.co.uk

It's worth absolutely making sure that you always set whatever mail client you use to show both the "Sender" - from - and "Reply-To" address, for every email, regardless.

The default - and for most people the default is Outlook, or Outlook Express, or Windows Mail - is to only show the "Sender", and you need to be aware that things are not honest, and that there are lying scamming scum out there that abuse emails and how to look for them. The default seems to be to try and protect ignorant people from the harsh realities of information that might make them think something is wrong, and give them a clue.

Most people won't have a "catchall" email address, so most people won't see all the spam that is directed at their address even if they have their own domain.

eg if I owned the - non-existent, at this point - dominionwibblyfibblywibble.co.uk domain, and had catchall email on that, then you could send an email to thundercatwiblefishcakemadeuprecipient @ dominionwibblyfibblywibble.co.uk

and I'd get that email.

And in lots of cases emails are sent to totally spurious addresses, and they clog up the system or get bounced back to the "faked" sender as an "undeliverable" because the recipient address does not exist.

And to the casual user - 99.9999% (ish) of internet users - that stuff does not even happen, because the network traffic that goes on between mail servers is hidden from them in an ever increasingly consuming battle against botnets and spammers.

phew, rant over!

Dominion 15 Oct 2010
In reply to Dominion:

BTW, Given the ratio of spam to real content, it's absolutely amazing that email still works.

||-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...