UKC

NEWS: Pete Robins Repeats Sea of Tranquillity F8c+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Oct 2010
Pete Robins attempting Sea of Tranquility, F8c+, LPT MONTAGE, 4 kbPete Robins has repeated Sea of Tranquillity (F8c+) at Lower Pen Trwyn (LPT), Llandudno, North Wales.

Robins has only the desperately sharp route of The Big Bang (F9a) to climb before he has ticked the entire crag.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=58398

snoop6060 19 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News:

What's the rockfax guidebook they talk off going to cover?
 Franco Cookson 19 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News:

This man is strong like Moose. Impressive and inspiring to watch him climb.
 Jonny2vests 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Franco C:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> This man is strong like Moose. Impressive and inspiring to watch him climb.

And such a nice chap too. No tantrums or bullshit - minimal fuss.
 Steve13 19 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Epic effort!

Has Carson dropped off the scene completely? Seems a shame since he was one of britain's best.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Oct 2010
In reply to snoop6060:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
>
> What's the rockfax guidebook they talk off going to cover?

North Wales Limestone, most of it (not Clwyd) I think.

Chris
 kevin stephens 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I thought Ground Up were taking NW Limestone on?
http://www.groundupclimbing.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=240
 Tyler 19 Oct 2010
In reply to kevin stephens:

Eveidently the threat of someone else producing one to the area caused Rockfax to book its ideas up. Pity it always seems to take something like this for them to react (q.v. Peak Limestone update)
>
> I thought Ground Up were taking NW Limestone on?
> http://www.groundupclimbing.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=240

Haven't a clue what GU are on with (Slate and Gogarth still?). I know Jack is working on a NWL guide for us, due out next year I think.

Chris
 NickD 19 Oct 2010
Well done Pete!
 kevin stephens 19 Oct 2010
Thanks Chris, so will that include the crags in the A55 guide?
 NickD 19 Oct 2010
By the way, single L in 'tranquility'.
>
> Thanks Chris, so will that include the crags in the A55 guide?

Logically I would have thought so, be silly to miss them out. But it isn't my guide and I haven't seen a crag list.

Chris
In reply to Tyler:
>
>
> Eveidently the threat of someone else producing one to the area caused Rockfax to book its ideas up. Pity it always seems to take something like this for them to react (q.v. Peak Limestone update)

Don't be ridiculous! Northern Limestone only sold out a couple of months ago and I am already on with its replacement (to the Peak section), due out some time in the Spring. I has been pencilled in for several years.

Chris
 Jack Geldard 19 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News: Well done Pete! I still can't believe you can climb 8c+.

It's just not fair!

I am inspired though. Will try harder.

Jack
 IainWhitehouse 19 Oct 2010
> (In reply to Tyler)
> [...]
>
> Don't be ridiculous! Northern Limestone only sold out a couple of months ago

I'm not sure you can call March 'a couple of months ago' now

Still, new one out in the spring is admirably quick work.

Tyler 19 Oct 2010

> Don't be ridiculous! Northern Limestone only sold out a couple of months ago and I am already on with its replacement (to the Peak section), due out some time in the Spring. I has been pencilled in for several years.

I was talking about the protracted wait between Peak Lime and Northen Limestone
In reply to IainWhitehouse:
> [...]
>
> I'm not sure you can call March 'a couple of months ago' now
>
> Still, new one out in the spring is admirably quick work.

Is it really six months ago - time flies!

Chris
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> [...]
>
> I was talking about the protracted wait between Peak Lime and Northen Limestone

Ah, I see.

So going back to this:

Eveidently the threat of someone else producing one to the area caused Rockfax to book its ideas up. Pity it always seems to take something like this for them to react (q.v. Peak Limestone update)

what was the event that precipitated us into producing Northern Limestone then?

Chris
 Quarryboy 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Jack if I ever get as good as you I will be happy
In reply to NickD:

Because Moon deliberately misspelled it in the route name, or because you think that's how the word is spelled?

jcm
 Chris Harris 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Steve13:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Epic effort!
>
> Has Carson dropped off the scene completely? Seems a shame since he was one of britain's best.

He's lived in France with his wife & kids since around 2000. Still climbs a bit, but not seriously.
In reply to UKC News:

I see; answering myself, the route is presumably named after a 'sea' on the Moon, which someone - presumably someone American - called Sea of Tranquility despite the fact it was apparently named as Mare Tranquillitas, thus indicating both the correct spelling and the reason why all in one.

Ah well. You can't expect any better from Americans, I suppose, but I do wonder why they got to misspell it, given that (I'm guessing from the Latin names, anyway) it had been named before America even existed.

jcm
 Rachael Barlow 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Rory Shaw:
> (In reply to jonny2vests) shame he's a bit gay though

Oh really?
 tobykeep 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Rachael Barlow:

I've heard his girlfriend is sometimes known as Richard (?), so maybe?!
 doylo 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Rachael Barlow:

Sorry you had to find out this way Rach....
 John2 19 Oct 2010
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Really, John. Mare Tranquillitatis.
 mrjonathanr 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to kevin stephens)
>
> Eveidently the threat of someone else producing one to the area caused Rockfax to book its ideas up.

Ha-ha! Like it.
 andyb211 19 Oct 2010
In reply to Rachael Barlow: Tell Pete cracking effort, have a good un in Font Axx
In reply to Tyler:
> Eveidently the threat of someone else producing one to the area caused Rockfax to book its ideas up. Pity it always seems to take something like this for them to react (q.v. Peak Limestone update)

Blimey Tyler, are you still going on about that!? It was 6 years ago and our record of publishing books on time has been pretty good since then.

Also, which Peak Limestone guide was it that was published in 2003/4 that prompted us into action back then?

Alan
 Tyler 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Yeah, possibly an over reaction. I'm happy with the way competition in the guide book arena has upped the quality of guides but it doesn't seem to have improved the timeliness of guide publishing hence we have a situation where we've had a few years with an out of date North Wales Limestone* and it looks to the outsider that RF have only been stirred into action by the threat of an outsider muscling in on the action (I've just checked and noticed NWL only sold out in Nov 2009 so I was probably more damming than I ought to have been). In answer to the specific question I seem to remember a bit of controversy because Northen Lime was published just before YMC's Yorkshire Lime guide.

*For those who haven't seen it North Wales Lime wetpaint site contains all the info you need
 Chris F 20 Oct 2010
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> I do wonder why they got to misspell it

Because they are Americans and misspelling is what they do well.
 Tyler 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Tyler:

I should also apologise for dragging this thread off topic. Pretty psyched to see these routes getting ascents and to see their revised grades.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 20 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News: Buenos Dias Pete

Good Effort, glad to hear that you are still cranking it out. More importantly though you are heading to font to eat those awesome cakes, giving most of us the chance to catch up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...