UKC

Scottish Slabs?? (not bloody Etive nor mountain stuff)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fiend 20 Oct 2010
I'm starting to realise that although Scottish cragging is great, it is generally rather steep. Obviously steep is fun but slabby is fun too and it seems Scottish slabs are somewhat spread out. Can anyone add any more to the list below of accessible mid-grade / low-extreme slab venues?? No big mountain stuff, no classic VDiffs and no Etive please, I know about these and they aren't of interest.

Galloway - Larbrax, Meikle Ross, Portobello, Kiln O Fuffock, Llaggantalluch
Arrochar - Glen Croe Far Crags, Loch Sloy, Arvorlich
Glen Nevis - Blacks Buttress, High Crag, Whale Rock, Wave Buttress
Ardnamurchan - Ring Crags
Mull - Scoor
Weem - front faces
Birnham Quarry
Rosehearty - Murcurry Inner Wall
Diabeg - Pillar, Main Wall, Condome
Loch Tollaidh - Stripteaser etc
Loch Tollie - The Bug etc
Gruinard - some crags
Rhiconich - some crags

Ta,
Fiend
 petestack 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:
> Glen Nevis - Blacks Buttress, High Crag, Whale Rock, Wave Buttress

+ Secretaries Buttress (NB Super Direct & Twitch), Pandora's Buttress (Phantom Slab) etc.

Polney Crag at Dunkeld.

Indian Slab Crag up Glen Gour if you can take the walk-in.
 MG 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend: Ardverikie Wall.
In reply to Fiend:

Some of the slab problems on the Dumbarton boulders are fun - and as long as some gritstone routes!

Trundle and Walk on the Wild Side at Auchinstarry qualify as slab routes.
 John H Bull 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:
Ridgeway view crag, and thereabouts. Not saying it's worth a special trip, mind.
Caithness? Scarlet Pimpernel looks pretty slabby in the pics.
 Stuart S 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:

Some slabby stuff on the Western Sector at the Pass of Ballater - Silent Spring (+ Supercreeps, Medium Cool etc). Worth a look since Andy Nisbet gave it a clean earlier in the month.

Creag Ghlas might be worth another visit outside of tick/midge season.
Removed User 20 Oct 2010
In reply to John Henry Bull:
> (In reply to Fiend)
> Ridgeway view crag, and thereabouts. Not saying it's worth a special trip, mind.

Casteail Ruadh just down the road has a nice slab on it but it is a 45 minute walk in.

There's good slab climbing at Achmelvich on the obvious crag above the loch on the track back to Lochinver. A bit undergraded though.

There are slabs up Strathconnon aren't there, just above the river?

Plague O'blazes in Glen Nevis is a good slab climb with an overhanging finish. Gawping Grockles on the other side of the river is also good but technically perhaps not a slab. The E4 beside it is probably is a slab though.

Isn't there a big slab right next to the road on the way over to Scoraig from Dundonnel?
 Doug 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend: There are some slabby climbs on the NE seacliffs, Grey Mare Slabs would be the most obvious.

Someone else has mentioned the Pass of Ballater, climbs such as Strawberry Ripple are slabs

And isn't Raven Crag near Gairloch slabby ?
 TobyA 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend: Arderikie Wall is a slab so presumably the harder routes around it are also slabby, and before you whine "that's a mountain route", don't be so f€%#*^g lazy.
 SonyaD 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend: There's a few slabby routes at Diabeg. They are steep slabs though, Route 1 and 2 (and I think the first pitch of Route 2 is more like a wall and is steep, but the 2nd pitch follows a crack up a steep slab) There's a VS called Boab's Corner which was hideously slabby (don't like slabs so it felt hideous to me.
 GrahamD 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:

Arran - lots of crags.
 sandy 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend: Seem to remember there being a few at Polldubh...
In reply to TobyA:

To be fair to Fiend the fact he's still recovering from fairly extensive medical problems in the leg department, so the walk in may be an issue. But he is lazy too
Bahhhhumbug 20 Oct 2010
In reply to bentley's biceps:

Aren't most climbers fundamentally lazy ?? (people I know will drive miles to get to a crag where you can belay from the car !!) ..(I am of course excluding Alpinists etc whose sanity is gravely in doubt !!) ..
 CurlyStevo 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:
couple more Kingussie, Tynrich Slabs
 petestack 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Doug:
> And isn't Raven Crag near Gairloch slabby ?

Some great slabby routes on Stone Valley Crag (eg Open Secret, Bald Eagle) and probably some of the other Gairloch Crags.

Also some tasty photos of Badrallach Crag on pp302–4 of Northern Highlands Central although I haven't been there yet. Might not give Fiend that much to go at with just a couple of routes above VS, but looks like proper slab climbing to me!

rallymania 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:
there's a couple of slabby routes at traprain, not sure if they are worth driving through from the west for though
 SFM 20 Oct 2010
In reply to GrahamD:

Walk ins on Arran might be a put off though.
 Coel Hellier 20 Oct 2010
In reply to John Henry Bull:

> Caithness? Scarlet Pimpernel looks pretty slabby in the pics.

It's Sarclet Pimpernel!, that being the point of the route name. [Sorry, it's not often I get to show off my utterly meagre knowledge of Scottish climbing ] Anyhow, he's done it.
 catt 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:

Sub station(or similar) crag on the track up to Loch Sloy. Looks like a pretty nice slab with some low E's I think.
 hexcentric 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend: Surface Tension at Auchinstarry? Never steeper than 80 degrees at most and brilliant with it.

Public Spirited in Cambu?

Removed User 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:

Plague of Blazes in Glen nevis is a must.

There are several other quality slab routes in the area (Parisian Walkway, Phantom Slab)

OP Fiend 20 Oct 2010
In reply to all:

Thanks for the suggestions, a few of them even fit the criteria

> + Secretaries Buttress (NB Super Direct & Twitch), Pandora's Buttress (Phantom Slab) etc.

Yup I forgot all the names, there's many there I know. Maybe it is the mecca??

> Polney Crag at Dunkeld.

I considered that but it's mostly easy stuff.

> Indian Slab Crag up Glen Gour if you can take the walk-in.

Unlikely!

> Ardverikie Wall.

Not mid-grade/low-extreme.

> Arderikie Wall is a slab so presumably the harder routes around it are also slabby,

And no they don't look like in the guide.

> Some of the slab problems on the Dumbarton boulders are fun - and as long as some gritstone routes!

It's only really BNI and it's variants. Nasty business!

> Trundle and Walk on the Wild Side at Auchinstarry qualify as slab routes.

True there are a few at Auchinstarry, I should have mentioned that.

> Ridgeway view crag, and thereabouts. Not saying it's worth a special trip, mind.

That's the one I meant in the Rhiconich area, yes.

> Caithness? Scarlet Pimpernel looks pretty slabby in the pics.

It is. However most of the other similar / harder stuff in the area is steep.

> Some slabby stuff on the Western Sector at the Pass of Ballater - Silent Spring (+ Supercreeps, Medium Cool etc). Worth a look since Andy Nisbet gave it a clean earlier in the month.

Yeah that's one.

> Creag Ghlas might be worth another visit outside of tick/midge season.

Too much of a mountain I think?? Looks like a true slab mecca but might be too far to walk for me.

> Casteail Ruadh just down the road has a nice slab on it but it is a 45 minute walk in.

Will look into.

> There's good slab climbing at Achmelvich on the obvious crag above the loch on the track back to Lochinver. A bit undergraded though.

OH yes I remember seeing that in NHN.

> There are slabs up Strathconnon aren't there, just above the river?

Yes there are, that's a good idea. I tried something up there on a hot midgy day and it was horrendous, but there might be more.

> Plague O'blazes in Glen Nevis is a good slab climb with an overhanging finish. Gawping Grockles on the other side of the river is also good but technically perhaps not a slab. The E4 beside it is probably is a slab though.

Yes plenty there, my buttresses were just an example.

> Isn't there a big slab right next to the road on the way over to Scoraig from Dundonnel?

Dunno, is there??

> There are some slabby climbs on the NE seacliffs, Grey Mare Slabs would be the most obvious.

Not mid-grade/low-extreme tho. Most NE stuff at that standard is steep....or very steep....or stupidly steep.

> And isn't Raven Crag near Gairloch slabby ?

> There's a few slabby routes at Diabeg. They are steep slabs though, Route 1 and 2 (and I think the first pitch of Route 2 is more like a wall and is steep, but the 2nd pitch follows a crack up a steep slab) There's a VS called Boab's Corner which was hideously slabby (don't like slabs so it felt hideous to me.

Already mentioned Diabeg.

> Arran - lots of crags.

Too mountainous / not accessible.

> Seem to remember there being a few at Polldubh...

Already mentioned.

> couple more Kingussie, Tynrich Slabs

Kingussie isn't mid-grade/low-extreme. Tynrich sounds like it has potential though.

> Some great slabby routes on Stone Valley Crag (eg Open Secret, Bald Eagle) and probably some of the other Gairloch Crags.

Yes Stone Valley might have some in the mid-grades as well.

> Also some tasty photos of Badrallach Crag on pp302–4 of Northern Highlands Central although I haven't been there yet. Might not give Fiend that much to go at with just a couple of routes above VS, but looks like proper slab climbing to me!

> there's a couple of slabby routes at traprain, not sure if they are worth driving through from the west for though

> Sub station(or similar) crag on the track up to Loch Sloy. Looks like a pretty nice slab with some low E's I think.

Already mentioned. It is bloody brilliant.

> Surface Tension at Auchinstarry? Never steeper than 80 degrees at most and brilliant with it.

Not mid-grade/low-extreme. Looks ace but have been warned it's hard. One for the future.

> Public Spirited in Cambu?

Not really slabby enough.

So I can add: Auchinstarry, Ballater, Tynrich Slabs, Strathconnon, Stone Valley Crag, Achmelvich and maybe a couple of others.

I think I'll be spending a lot more time in Glen Nevis then! Or persuading the landowner to open to track to Creag Ghlas...
 Jamie B 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:

> Or persuading the landowner to open to track to Creag Ghlas...

Last time I was there it was unlocked, with no discouraging signage and a track that could easily be driven. We didnt chance getting locked in though; how are you on a bike?

To be honest the steep approach to the crag is pretty horrible; might be a bigger issue than the track.

petestack 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:
> Not mid-grade/low-extreme.

Just curious how you're defining mid-grade etc. when it looks like you're starting it somewhere above HS or even VS? So... solid VS/HVS with low-extreme from E1, or is Fiend mid-grade more like HVS/E1 with low-extreme taking over at E2/3?

Whatever, I think you'd like the two routes I suggested on Secretaries Buttress because they're true thin slab climbing on true slabs!
 petestack 20 Oct 2010
In reply to petestack:

Or maybe mid-grade's synonymous with low-extreme and you're just confusing us by using both for clarity?
 Jamie B 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:

So what dont you like about Etive?
 The Pylon King 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:

hOw aBOUt tHe EtiVe SlabS yOU nERd?
 CurlyStevo 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Fiend:
"Kingussie isn't mid-grade/low-extreme"
not that I've climbed there but Kingussie has 13 routes at HVS and above

petestack 20 Oct 2010
In reply to CurlyStevo:

But no-one seems to climb on the Side Wall anymore and you couldn't call the other stiffer routes (eg LH and RH Cracks) slabby either.
In reply to Fiend:
> (In reply to all)
>
> It's only really BNI and it's variants. Nasty business!
>

Suckers Slab and Sorcerers Slab and Antimatter (to name but 3) are not on BNI boulder, and the landings are not potentially terminal

I found a weekend's climbing on Etive good training for those routes on the way back home - but that was 35 years ago, and I can't imagine they've got less polished nowadays but at least there's sticky rubber to compensate for the lack of holds.
 Simon Caldwell 21 Oct 2010
In reply to petestack:
> So... solid VS/HVS with low-extreme from E1, or is Fiend mid-grade more like HVS/E1 with low-extreme taking over at E2/3

E0
 Chris F 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
> (In reply to Fiend)
>
> [...]
>
> Last time I was there it was unlocked, with no discouraging signage and a track that could easily be driven. We didnt chance getting locked in though; how are you on a bike?
>
It was unlocked both times we were there too, but didn't want to chance getting locked in so cycled. The heather slog up the hill from the track is pretty horrible though, and we accumulated a few ticks in late April. Don't ticks release a coagulant? Might be good for you Fiend!

A few slabby routes at Reiff, but exceptiosn rather than the rule and a couple of slabbier things on Stac Pollaidh, but a bit of a walk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...