UKC

Access Issue: Glen Lednock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pebblespanker 20 Oct 2010
I was up there 4 weeks ago and the lowest gate (first one you have open)was locked so there is no road access to the glen, my buddy was up there at the weekend and it was the same the lower gate is still locked!!! Is anyone aware of any access issues or who to contact to resolve the problem as there is no access to the main bouldering areas gutted is a word that comes to mind ...

Am posting about this on the climbing thread as well to see if anyone else has anything to add who deosn wear a beany and use a pad. Just hope no-one has done anything stupid to upset the landowners ...

Cheers, H
 tony 20 Oct 2010
In reply to pebblespanker:

My running club (Strathearn Harriers) had problems with the landowner earlier this summer over access for one of our races. The estate changed hands about 18 months ago, and we have a feeling that the new owner is trying to restrict access. All this land should be open access. First port of call is the local access officer at the Council.

However, also bear in mind that it's stalking season, and the landowner can restrict access (except on Sundays).
OP pebblespanker 20 Oct 2010
In reply to tony: Thanks Tony am also considering the BMC Access folk as they are experienced mediators. As a non local can you advise which is the local council and then maybe we can set the ball rolling?

It would be one hell of a walk to the boulders from the lower gate good aerobic training though!
 Martin W 20 Oct 2010
> (In reply to tony) Thanks Tony am also considering the BMC Access folk as they are experienced mediators.

The BMC won't get involved in Scotland, you want the MCofS: http://www.mcofs.org.uk/access-and-conservation.asp That page has a link to the contact details for each local authority's Access Officer. I think for Glen Lednock it'll be Perth and Kinross. Remember to copy Hebe on your e-mail (she is usually pretty helpful, and prompt to respond). On the other hand...

> It would be one hell of a walk to the boulders from the lower gate

Open access (as mentioned by tony) only applies to pedestrian access, not motor vehicles. If it's a private road then vehicular access is at the discretion of the landowner. You may just have to get used to a 40 minute walk.
OP pebblespanker 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Martin W: Thanks Martin - already realised the error and have contacted the MCoS and emailed Hebe and advised of the situation

Looks like the long walk in for now!
 tony 20 Oct 2010
In reply to Martin W:
> (In reply to pebblespanker)
> [...]
>
> The BMC won't get involved in Scotland, you want the MCofS: http://www.mcofs.org.uk/access-and-conservation.asp That page has a link to the contact details for each local authority's Access Officer. I think for Glen Lednock it'll be Perth and Kinross.

Correct.
 220bpm 20 Oct 2010

Thats bad crack, not been up for a while but there were never issues previously.

MCoS should be able to assist however.
 punkpunk 20 Oct 2010
In reply to pebblespanker: Kept meaning to take some bags up to clear the rubbish by the parking, been there for ages though. Maybe people not closing gates?
 iccle_bully 21 Oct 2010

This is a worry, It is a great venue. Do keep us informed of what happens with MCoS.

The last few times I have been up there there were not just climbers up there, it seems to be a favourite picknick and wild camping spot too, perhaps it is this that has annoyed the land owners.
OP pebblespanker 21 Oct 2010
In reply to iccle_bully: Will do.

Had a reply from the Perth & Kinross Council who are noe aware and presumably on the case. Will post any updates I get as and when they arrive

Fingers crossed!!
jbellj1 21 Oct 2010
In reply to pebblespanker: Is this the gate next to the gamekeepers cottage? I always thought that was locked.
 punkpunk 21 Oct 2010
In reply to pebblespanker: Nice one man, thanks for taking action.
In reply to jbellj: After the small bridge and the T-junction withy lots of surface damage where you go straight on. Its the first gate after the cottage on the right (gamekeeper?), big deer fence next to it. Always been open (i.e. unpadlocked)on my visits and others. Sure the fiance and I met the gamekeeper this year - had two terriers in some kind of vistorian bondage harness (!!) - nice guy and never said a word about our presence climbing - then again he may have been a poacher
In reply to punkpunk:

No problem dude, just doing my bit. Will ping out any emails I get from P&K council

Looks like Glen Ogle for me next week unless it gets resolved ...
 220bpm 25 Oct 2010
In reply to tony:
> However, also bear in mind that it's stalking season, and the landowner can restrict access (except on Sundays).

Still locked Sunday past. Perfect bouldering day and we were the only ones there!
OP pebblespanker 31 Oct 2010
In reply to 220bpm:

Talked to a local on the 23rd Oct. She told us that the landowner has locked the gate because of 'damage along the dam shoreline with chainsaws' !! To prevent unsubstantiated rumours I don't want to say which group of outdoor types are thought to have done the damage, thats up to the Access Officer to pursue; but I am releived to say that climbers were not in the frame.

Can I please ask that anyone visiting and walking makes every affort to park considerately and not block gates or access in any way and if in doubt grit your teeth turn around and go elsewhere or resign yourself to a longer walk in. Further antagonising the estate owner will do nothing to aid access negotiations. Thank you all for your cooperation at this frustrating time.

Any updates from the council I will share as soon as I receive them.
Removed User 31 Oct 2010
> (In reply to 220bpm)
>
> Talked to a local on the 23rd Oct. She told us that the landowner has locked the gate because of 'damage along the dam shoreline with chainsaws' !!

Sounds plausible unfortunately. I've heard of the same thing happening on Loch Lomond. You get folk buying a cheap tent and a cheap chainsaw and they head out to the shore of a Loch thinking they're Davey phuqin Crocket. They cut down a few trees, get pished and on departing leave a pile of litter and the remains of their tent behind them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...