UKC

AALA to go ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Parrys_apprentice 04 Nov 2010
any more thoughts on the abolition of AALA?

EddInaBox 04 Nov 2010
In reply to Parrys_apprentice:
> any more thoughts on the abolition of AALA?

I don't think the Muslims will be too happy.
 kilner 04 Nov 2010
In reply to EddInaBox:
I think it is a bit of a shame as now there will be no continuous regulation of outdoor activity providers.
 andyb211 04 Nov 2010
In reply to kilner: As far as I can gather the role is to be covered by HSE staff! ie Non climbers/canoeists etc!! Scary eh?
 Phil1919 05 Nov 2010
In reply to kilner: Its another example of how we've been living in the good times, beyond our means.
 ChrisHolloway1 05 Nov 2010
In reply to andyb211: The HSE have always been trying to get their fangs into Outdoor Education, they must be so happy they are finally getting the chance
 AlH 05 Nov 2010
In reply to ChrisHolloway1: There is no suggestion of HSE 'getting their teeth' into Outdoor Ed. The suggestion is a voluntary code of pratice. This might tke the form of some form of voluntary accreditation such as the existing Adventuremark or another scheme. If HSE create a new code it will very likely be with the assistance of peoiple like the existing staff who inspect for Adventure Activity Licensing or a body such as the AAIAC.
 timjones 05 Nov 2010
In reply to Parrys_apprentice:
> any more thoughts on the abolition of AALA?

If you look at the gaps in the list of activities covered by the AALA it's always been a bit of a joke ;(
 timjones 05 Nov 2010
In reply to ChrisHolloway1:
> (In reply to andyb211) The HSE have always been trying to get their fangs into Outdoor Education, they must be so happy they are finally getting the chance

One would assume the HSE have always had "their fangs into Outdoor Education". All employers should have been covered by the HSE AFAIK.
 Ian McNeill 05 Nov 2010
In reply to Scott_vzr:
tis a shame to see it go..

It was the best value for money and ROI i ever paid for was the AALA license.

As a recognized brand logo/ name it was one which ticked the right boxes for many companies looking for a provider - more so than AMI (MIA/C), IFMGA, BCU(1-5).

OK Tim there are gaps but overall the ROI was a big positive one.

It will take a lot of work to replace this quality kite mark ( as perceived by the public) other logs are changing and moving AALA has remained the same no identity crisis there.

some folks have made hay while the sunshined within the organization, but that should not be a reason to abandon it .. the lord / MP assigned with the task should ask the wider community about its value .. before making any final decision.
Parrys_apprentice 05 Nov 2010
In reply to Ian McNeill:

Isuppose it should be good for small setups / individuals looking to take groups of young uns out.
 Reach>Talent 05 Nov 2010
In reply to ChrisHolloway1:
(In reply to andyb211) The HSE have always been trying to get their fangs into Outdoor Education

What a bizzare statement, have you ever actually had any dealings with the HSE? In my experience they are a fairly reasonable body to work with, most of the percieved problems with "'elf and Safety gone mad" are down to idiots who can't read, so as far as I'm concerned the fewer middle men the better.
 timjones 05 Nov 2010
In reply to Ian McNeill:
> (In reply to Scott_vzr)
> tis a shame to see it go..
>
> It was the best value for money and ROI i ever paid for was the AALA license.
>
> As a recognized brand logo/ name it was one which ticked the right boxes for many companies looking for a provider - more so than AMI (MIA/C), IFMGA, BCU(1-5).
>
> OK Tim there are gaps but overall the ROI was a big positive one.
>
> It will take a lot of work to replace this quality kite mark ( as perceived by the public) other logs are changing and moving AALA has remained the same no identity crisis there.
>
> some folks have made hay while the sunshined within the organization, but that should not be a reason to abandon it .. the lord / MP assigned with the task should ask the wider community about its value .. before making any final decision.

I guess that as an industry funded and led scheme it could still have a lot of potential.

The gaps that I had in mind were the omission of manmade climbing walls, ropes courses etc which probably aren't as issue to you or many others working away from the bigger centres.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...