UKC

Do you know if the MSR WhisperLite International stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philpaynter 27 Oct 2010
I Have a MSR WhisperLite Internationale Multi-Fuel Stove and it works great but when you first start it up it flames quite a lot dose any one else have this problem

Cheers Phil

LastBoyScout 27 Oct 2010
In reply to philpaynter:

Most liquid fuel stoves do that until they get hot enough to properly vapourise the fuel.

Be careful with priming and don't open the valve too soon/too fast
OP philpaynter 27 Oct 2010
In reply to LastBoyScout: ok thanks ill give it a go
 TobyA 28 Oct 2010
In reply to philpaynter: I've had one for nearly 20 years and it does do that if not primed enough. Letting enough petrol into the drip tray to prime it, but not to make too much of a flame before you reopen the valve is a bit of an art. Some people use jelly priming paste or just meths to do the priming just because its cleaner and easier, I've tend to just use petrol from the tank but make sure you are nowhere near your tent when lighting it!
 d_b 28 Oct 2010
In reply to TobyA:

I haven't seen priming paste in outdoor shops for years. Any idea where to get it?
 JohnnyW 28 Oct 2010
In reply to philpaynter:

Yep, me too - Mine is a vicious wee smoky barsteward until it settles down. I can never seem to get the right amount of fuel through, so it either won't go, or goes off like a flamethrower.

I remain to be convinced with 'em tbh
 erikb56 28 Oct 2010
In reply to JohnnyW:
as suggested just needs proper priming. Generally the moment the wick just starts to wet works fine for me. if not lightweighting it a small bit of meths avoids the sooty stove issues. If you run it on diesel/paraffin it will also be considerably more temperamental and sooty.
 TobyA 28 Oct 2010
In reply to davidbeynon: No, sorry. As I said I've always just used petrol. I do remember some people suggesting broken chips of hex tables - that could work. The UL crowd seem to be rediscovering hexy style stoves so various types seem to be becoming more available - is Esbit? Or some name like that.

TBH it is probably a couple of years since I last used my Whisperlite. Most of my camping now is over night trips whilst climbing for the weekend and I just chuck in my Jeboil. When car camping with the family we have one of those bigger gas stoves that come in things that look a bit like a briefcase, and take the long butane canisters you can buy in DIY shops and garages.
OP philpaynter 28 Oct 2010
In reply to TobyA: Yeah so really its trial and error i am using the coleman fuel which burns quite clean

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...