UKC

Please recommend me waterproof jacket that doesnt leak!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss Weasel 31 Oct 2010
I would be grateful if I can get some recommendations for a genuinely waterproof jacket for 4 season Scottish hillwalking and mountaineering. My ME Morpheus is letting in water at the zip badly and I'm looking to replace it. So what's a safe buy? Any suggestions?
 ChrisHolloway1 31 Oct 2010
In reply to Choss Weasel: Mountain Equipment Kongur or Kongur MRT both incredibe
 The Lemming 31 Oct 2010
In reply to Choss Weasel:

Not sure how much you want to spend or how new a design jacket you are after but I bought a Marmot Spire jacket in the New Year Sales
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=379651&v=1#x5493631

Probably got the best hood that I have ever seen on a jacket not primerally designed for yachting.

Jackets are a personal thing, but they don't usually leak around zips. If the garment isn't too old, have you thought about returning it for a repair or refund?

I'd give that a go if the jacket was under 6 years old.
 jezb1 31 Oct 2010
In reply to Choss Weasel: I've just bought a Crux Flak jacket off here, it's perfect for what I want and kept the rain off today.

Simple, light, tough with a great hood.
 TMM 31 Oct 2010
In reply to jezb1:

I'll second the Crux Flak. Simple, light, tough and it works.
OP Choss Weasel 31 Oct 2010
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Choss Weasel)
>
>>
> Jackets are a personal thing, but they don't usually leak around zips. If the garment isn't too old, have you thought about returning it for a repair or refund?
>
> I'd give that a go if the jacket was under 6 years old.

The jacket is less than a year old and I did go back to the shop I got it from (don't want to name the shop here incase mods delete my thread) and they completely fobbed me off. They said the zips on the jacket are water- resistant not waterproof and they will let in water in prolonged rain. I don't see the point in making the jacket with triple-layer Gore Tex Pro Shell and not making the zips waterproof!? Anyway the shop wont offer a refund or repair.

The Lemming 31 Oct 2010

The jacket is not fit for purpose, and you are being fobbed off. If they won't help then write a letter to the local Trading Standards for advice.

I'd suggest that you actually name the shop due to their poor customer service so that other people can steer clear of them. Don't see why the mods would delete a bad recommendation when they allow positive recommendations from reputable suppliers.

If the shop won't help then ask for a customer service department to write a letter to and mention the manager's name of the shop.

Mention the Sale of Goods act as well.

In reply to Choss Weasel: Contact Mountain Equipment directly:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/help_desk/returns/

Their policy says they only deal with retails with excellent customer service. In this case that is not what you have recieved and you have good cause to contact them directly, name and shame the shop, explain the problem, and I am sure they will help you.

Chris

m0unt41n 31 Oct 2010
In reply to Choss Weasel: The ME web site states its Waterproof, makes no mention of the zips being Weather Resistant. I would go straight to ME and insist it is replaced since it is either faulty, or if zips are not waterproof then they should have a storm flap to make the jacket waterproof.
 The Lemming 31 Oct 2010
In reply to ChrisHolloway1:

Your contract/warranty is with the shop who sold the garment and not the manufacturer or suplier.

However if the shop is not helpful then you can seek advice from the manufacturer/distributor of the garment but I'd leave that till you have exhausted your attempts with the shop.
 The Lemming 31 Oct 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

Also Gore-tex would be interested to hear of your woes as they are the people that allow manufacturers to use their materials when making garments with their logo on.
In reply to The Lemming: Yeah fair shout, I guess the link would be useful to quote to the retail if he is going to send a letter
m0unt41n 31 Oct 2010
In reply to ian2u: Looking at the ME photo it has a flap in front of the zip so it should be water proof. They need to change the jacket.
OP Choss Weasel 31 Oct 2010
In reply to all: Yeah you guys are right, I was quite disheartened by the shops attitude. I'll try contacting Mountain Equipment to see what they have to say.
 andyd1970 31 Oct 2010
In reply to Choss Weasel: totally agree with the other guys I had some ME karakorum pants and the gator clip on the bottom of the pants came off after 2 months and i got a new pair out of it off ME. I had an ME jacket for years and the so called waterproof pocket on the chest leaked all the time so I sold it and have just switched to an Event jacket by Rab and its really good.
 Jim Fraser 31 Oct 2010

I still have Goretex stuff in the cupboard but I have gone completely over to the microfibre and fleece approach for winter and most summer outings as well.

When I say microfibre and fleece, that includes microfibre in nylon, polyester or cotton. Fleece may be replaced by any good quality non-absorbent midlayer such as wool, polypropylene, and some other polyesters. Things like Buffalo and Paramo come with this combination in integrated form but my Ventile smock with a wool shirt under it does the same thing, as does a Berghaus Vortex windshirt and a Wynnster fleece shirt.

Call-Me-Bryce 31 Oct 2010

No zips are waterproof! Even taped zips are water resistant at best.
In reply to Choss Weasel: Patagonia Stretch Element, Thread Closed
 LastBoyScout 31 Oct 2010
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Been doing the same for years, too - some sort of fleece under a Pertex, or similar, windproof. Ideally, treated with TX10 Polarproof / TX Direct, to boost the water repellency.

Only moved away from this system slightly with the advent of windproof fleeces.

Full Gore-tex only comes out now when it's really pissing down.
 The Lemming 31 Oct 2010
In reply to Call-Me-Bryce:
> (In reply to Choss Weasel)
>
> No zips are waterproof!

No argument from me!

However I have never had a jacket, even from Burtons, where the zip with a covering piece of fabric has ever let in water.,

Even the zip on my jeans does not let in water!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...