UKC

Westway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tiberius 08 Nov 2010
I'm working near Kings X today, thought I might try Westway, prolly too late to arrange a partner so is the bouldering any good?
 Sheffield Sam 08 Nov 2010
Hey Tib

The bouldering is fairly extensive, certainly more than enough for a one off visit, the is a feature wall bouldering area with a large comp style area of ply panels in a room behind it, take your jacket though, may be a bit chilly today!

Regards

Sam
OP Tiberius 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Sheffield Sam:

> ...take your jacket though, may be a bit chilly today!

hehe, try the Depot in Leeds, it's colder inside than outside, like climbing in a fridge.
 RockSteady 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Tiberius:

The nickname for the back bouldering room of the Westway is 'The Fridge'. Pretty tough set in there at the moment but some cool moves.
OP Tiberius 08 Nov 2010
In reply to RockSteady:

I'll pack my tracksuit bottoms and nick my son's beanie then
 thin bob 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Tiberius: westone is pretty close to kings x.
Oh and best phone westway to see if you can turn up just for bouldering without having to do a belay test
Telephone (Reception): 020 8969 0992 or 020 8969 0993
Climbing Director jgibbons@westway.org
Removed User 08 Nov 2010
In reply to thin bob: I tried to 'turn up just for bouldering' a while back, and they still made me do the belay test.
OP Tiberius 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Tiberius:

I go to a lot of walls in my travels, most of them give you some sort of a 'test', but I've never come across one that wouldn't let me in. Having a belay test for bouldering does seem somewhat silly though.

I assume westone is west 1? Looks interesting, both walls look reachable from kings x without much trouble, anyone have a prefernece?
i.munro 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Tiberius:

> I assume westone is west 1? Looks interesting, both walls look reachable from kings x without much trouble, anyone have a prefernece?

Both are very good. Westway bouldering is more extensive.
The drawback IMO is that it's split into a featured wall in the main room (which for me is always too warm & crowded to be useable) & a dedicated bouldering area where the temps were fine but which leans heavily towards the steep with a side order of even steeper.

West One is a little limited in height but has a good variety of angles & some excellent setting by Gaz & Zippy among others.

OP Tiberius 08 Nov 2010
In reply to i.munro:

I think I'll try west one this time as I don't really have that much time, prolly only gonna get 2 or 3 hours in tbh. Next time I'm down maybe I'll try westway then.
i.munro 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Tiberius:

My guess would be that West 1 would sort out the registration quicker as it's a smaller operation.
You definitely will not be needing a jacket in there

I think the Arch at London Bridge might be a a possibility as well.
 ClimberEd 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Tiberius:
> I'm working near Kings X today, thought I might try Westway, prolly too late to arrange a partner so is the bouldering any good?

Kings X - Northern Line to LB and the Arch are what you want.
Removed User 08 Nov 2010
In reply to ClimberEd:

Hammersmith and City Line to Mile End (15 mins)and a few minutes walk to MIle End Wall. Lots and lots of bouldering and friendly people.
i.munro 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Tiberius:

Looks like you've found the centre of gravity of the London walls there in King's Cross. According to TFLs journey planner you should be able to get to West 1, The Arch, Mile End or the Castle in about 20-odd min
& they all have bouldering.

Only the Westway looks like a longer trip.
OP Tiberius 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Tiberius:

Well, in the end I didn't have much time, but I went to West 1, obviously much smaller than the Sheffied/Leeds walls I'm used to, but perfectly big enough to pass some time.

I only had a chance to try the bouledering, as I had neither partner, nor harness with me. New, rough holds, very owie on the hands after a while. Grades seemed a little harsh, but then most new walls are until you get used to them and.

Staff were very friendly, both on duty remembered my name the few times I saw them. There was a definate 'we're new and looking to please' type attitude.

Overall I was quite impressed, certainly I'll be going again, although I may try out some of the other walls suggested too.

...however, this week West 1 is running the leading ladder, anyone fancy joining me some evening this week? (6c is prolly the max I have any chance of getting)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...