UKC

Rubber oversoles..?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
arctic_hobo 08 Nov 2010
Was wondering if there's such a thing as soft rubber oversoles. Being a mountain-loving chap, I often climb in boots rather than rockshoes, but I hate the slippery hard rubber. Can you buy soft rubber socks that slip over the soles for temporary use? If not, it seems a great idea to me...
arctic_hobo 09 Nov 2010
In reply to arctic_hobo:
nobody?
 thin bob 09 Nov 2010
In reply to arctic_hobo:
cheap watershoes/sandshoes?
cutdown trainers?

i thought some student/designperson was asking about this around a year ago?

ask alpkit!
 Scarab9 09 Nov 2010
In reply to arctic_hobo:

I would have thought suitably tight rubber 'socks' would take as long to put on as it would be to change into your rock shoes. And that there wouldn't be all that much weight or size difference seeing as rock shoes aren't very big.
Is there a need or demand for your idea?
 Andy Manthorpe 09 Nov 2010
In reply to arctic_hobo: I saw a product like this in the Barrabes shop in Benasque a few years ago. Try searching for their website.

Andy

arctic_hobo 10 Nov 2010
In reply to Scarab9: It's not to replace rockshoes - I've no quibble with changing. It'd be for scrambling and faster climbing on terrain where I've had my foot shredded from wearing rockshoes. After all, we wear boots for a reason on mountains! I just don't like slipping on everything wet or small and obviously boots can't have soft rubber soles because they'd wear out. I thought it was quite a good idea...
arctic_hobo 10 Nov 2010
In reply to arctic_hobo: eg: I doubt anybody climbs Tower ridge in rockshoes - you'd bash your feet to bits. But it'd be nice to have better soles on your boots.
 Scarab9 10 Nov 2010
In reply to arctic_hobo:

ah I see! fair enough.
arctic_hobo 10 Nov 2010
In reply to Andy Manthorpe: Thanks Andy - no luck though. Will try alpkit
arctic_hobo 10 Nov 2010
In reply to arctic_hobo: Wondering if I should just buy a large pair of rockshoes and hack them up a bit really.
 Richard Hall 10 Nov 2010
In reply to arctic_hobo: 5.10 Guide Tennies are the answer surely?
 Mr Lopez 10 Nov 2010
In reply to arctic_hobo:

Decent boots with a good vibram sole climb as well and in some cases even better than rock shoes, specially on 'everything wet or small', with some obvious limitations such as slabs (due to the stiffness of the sole rather than the 'stickyness') and pockets. You just need to adjust your technique a bit.

I'm working on an idea for quite the opposite actually. A soft shell insulating shock with a light textured rubber sole that can be thrown over the rock shoes in easy pitches, belays and when hitting wet/snowed/icy/broken rock/grassy patches in Alpine routes, and they could double up as bivy booties.
Anyone having some spare dollars and wanting to invest...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...