UKC

Ice climbing holds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sorry if this has been posted before but it is the first time i have seen these and they look awesome!

vimeo.com/16669161
 Steeve 11 Nov 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson:
do they not get ruined after a few uses?
 Sam1991 11 Nov 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson: They are pretty cool, any idea what they are made of? and how similar it is to ice!?
 GarethSL 12 Nov 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson: http://www.tcaclimbingshop.com/Default.aspx?LoadContent=CatSplats-amp;Blobs...

not cheap, but for the benefits I would be very very tempted.

I'm also curious to know what they're made of and how long they last.
 GarethSL 12 Nov 2010
 sasmojo 12 Nov 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson: At the risk of sounding simple, why not use soft wood as they with some of the hanging blocks in the comps. I am planning a wall build in the near future and this is what I plan to use for my dry tooling holds.

Tim seems to need to same amount of effort to get the tools out of those holds as I have experienced on soft wood holds.

Just a thought.

S
 Erik B 12 Nov 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson: they look brilliant, they should rename them frozenturf holdz though
 Jim Fraser 12 Nov 2010

They don't have trees in Bristol then?
grimm 12 Nov 2010
In reply to Jim Fraser:

I hope most of climbers have enough appreciation for the nature to not to use trees for ice climbing practise... Build a plice instead.

Holds look really nice, especially if they don't wear out too quickly (didn't manage to find a photo of one hooked/swinged at a few dozen times, to see how quickly it will start to fall apart)
 Pids 12 Nov 2010
Si @ The Climbing Academy 12 Nov 2010

The holds are designed to mimic the feel of real ice and this is achieved via a combination of the 2 part construction and the composite material of the outer shell. The harder the holds are swung into hold the greater the energy use required to remove your tool.

Experience in the states shows that the holds last really well plus the holds can be rotated to give a fresh surface to aim for.

Given the interest in the ice holds we have decided to offer a 'try before you buy' scheme where you are able to have a 2 week trial.

Simply order a hold from this range
http://www.tcaclimbingshop.com/Default.aspx?LoadContent=CatSplats-amp;Blobs... email us on shop@theclimbingacademy.com to say that you wish to try an ice hold, and we will send you one of our demo holds.

Once the hold is returned we will issue you with a refund against the cost of the ice hold.

sparra 12 Nov 2010
In reply to Si @ The Climbing Academy:
> (In reply to James Paul Robinson)
>
> The harder the holds are swung into hold the greater the energy use required to remove your tool.
>
>

Genius!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...