UKC

Lakes Winter Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 djmarko75 16 Nov 2010
Hi guys, I´ve set up a blog that may be of some help to those of you planning a winter climbing trip to the Lakes.

I tend to get out around twice a week at the moment so I´ll keep the blog updated with pics of the more popular venues.

http://markjohnsonlakesclimber.blogspot.com/

Hope this is useful to you.

Cheers

Mark.
 Rick Ashton 16 Nov 2010
In reply to djmarko75: cheers, always useful having more info and will be checking this alot. Got a trip up there before xmas
 Exile 17 Nov 2010
In reply to djmarko75:

Thanks very much for the link
 pork pie girl 17 Nov 2010
In reply to djmarko75:

hiya Mark,

your bolg should be really useful.. cheers for letting us know
 NathanP 17 Nov 2010
In reply to djmarko75:

Thanks, you can't beat some local reports to check on conditions. Let's hope you have lots to report on this season.
OP djmarko75 17 Nov 2010
In reply to NathanP:

Yeah hopfully the conditions will improve soon. I'm wanting to do a winter ascent of Gillercombe Buttress this season and my mate said Eagle Front on Eagle Crag Buttermere would be good! Think I'll stick with the former than the latter ha ha.

Cheers

Mark
 LakesWinter 18 Nov 2010
In reply to djmarko75: Well, Gillercombe wasn't in when I was up in the really cold spell in Jan, though it may have been in for a day or 3 later that week? You need a heavy snowfall in Dec or Jan followed by a week of cold and some top up snowfalls, if you then go on a cloudy day it may be in nicely.

I can recommend a winter line based on Grey Knotts face though, excellent climbing under snowy and frozen conditions and somewhere around grade IV
OP djmarko75 18 Nov 2010
In reply to MattG:

Hi Mate, yeah someone said Grey Knotts is a good winter route. It's got more turf on it etc, you're right about the conditions though it's quite rare this crag is in really good nick.

Cheers

Mark
 LakesWinter 18 Nov 2010
In reply to djmarko75: Yeah under heavy snow and with persistent cold the sun causes a thaw freeze cycle on the crag and Grey Knotts face also built up some ice in places as well as decent neve in parts
OP djmarko75 19 Nov 2010
In reply to MattG:

Hi Guys,

Just got back from Scafell Pike, pics on the blog etc. Check em out.

Cheers

Mark
stevo 30 19 Nov 2010
In reply to djmarko75: great pics looks like it were a grand day!
OP djmarko75 19 Nov 2010
In reply to stevo 30:

Hi Mate,

Yeah it was fantastic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...