UKC

Scafell route from Wasdale YHA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
arnold666 18 Nov 2010
Planning on going to Was YHA end of Nov. Any suggestions on best routes from yha to do scafell/pike and maybe great gable. like a bit of level 1/2 scrambling. no ropes.
Thanks
Arnie
J1234 18 Nov 2010
In reply to arnold666:
Do not reply to this person they ask questions and then never say thank you, very rude. look at the profile.
arnold666 18 Nov 2010
In reply to sjc: I am sorry i didnt say THANKYOU when you replied to my previous question. SO I AM now saying thankyou xxxxx. You're the best!!!

Now everyone else, please reply to my post and each lovely answer will get a beautiful reply.

Arnie
xxxx
 Ron Kenyon 20 Nov 2010
In reply to arnold666:

You could do a mega round of Wasdale from the YHA - Middle Fell; Pillar; skirt Kirk Fell; Great Gable; Styhead ; Corridor Route to Scafell Pike then Scafell (Broad Stand could be tricky if wet (and if not wet)) then along Whin Rigg - but that is a long way for November.

If you want to go for the three - start at the car park at either next to the campsite (GR183074) or at the hotel at Wasdale Head (think about the end of the day !!) - head off up Great Gable by Gavel Nase - the SW Ridge - either going up left to Beck Head and up to summit - or there is a way directly up the ridge (not quite sure where it goes though). Down to styhead and along the Corridor Route which skirts along the side of Great End and Broad Crag (fine views of Piers Gill etc) - then up to SCafell Pike. Next to Mickledore Ridge and confronted with crags - Broad Stand goes up from the end of the ridge and is a renouned tricky place (especially when going down and in the wet/winter). Either go up this or skirt the crag to the left by Fox Tarn (bit of a drop initially - but much safer) then to Scafell. Back down the ridge and back to car.
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

The whole Wasdale Round is a very long walk in November. Ron's suggestion of Gable, Scafell Pike & Scafell is decent day out on it's own.

Not sure if you are aware, the Youth Hostel is down the other end of the lake from Wasdale head so you need to dive up the Valley (3 miles) first.

Broad Stand is tricky, especially if wet, and you could kill yourself if you fall off. I've backed off it before.
arnold666 21 Nov 2010
In reply to mountain.martin: Thanks all. In the end we climbed Great End via The Band, across to Broad Crag and lastly Scafell Pike. Cracking day if a bit long. Reasonable amount of snow above 600m. Good fun though. Cheers all and you-SJC!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...