UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: The Bachar-Yerian 5.11c R/X

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Nov 2010
The Bachar-Yerian 5.11c R/X (short film), 3 kbThis week's Friday Night video has been sent by Cole GIbson and features a rare ascent of one of the World's most famous routes - The Bachar-Yerian in Tuolumne Meadows

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=58767
 La benya 19 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

enjoyed that.

and it was a good advert for suncream
 Mick Ward 19 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely stuff on an amazing route. 'Good job Andrew'? Yes!

Mick
 jon 19 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Now there's a route I've always wanted to second. Not sure I liked the speeded up thing. But hey, well done chaps.
 Tony & Sarah 19 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News: brilliant really enjoyed it.
T&S
In reply to UKC News: inspirational. very good film.
In reply to UKC News:

This is awesome! Reminded me of that Ron Kauk video of him doing a route in the same valley (i think)? Was it "Peace" 5.13c/d?
 Shonkhor 20 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Enjoyed this more than any other UKC video for a long while. Thanks!
 The sharp end 20 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Absolutely brilliant! One of the best I have seen in a long time - great editing with great timing! Well done to the climbers in realising their dream.

Robin Warden 20 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:
great climbing, looks like some fine heart stopping situations, the best bit for me was the interview with his wife.... she must have taken some amazing LSD, back in the day, cos she sure aint come down yet!!
 Guy Atkinson 20 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Love the non existent belay set up at the top there, not too sure i'd be happy if I was Jan and had just topped out!
 James Oswald 20 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Too much talking and not enough action!
Not a bad video though.
Cheers
James
 nigel pearson 20 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:
good story and well done to the climbers. I don't really like the fact that most of the climbing film was speeded up.
 steveP 20 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Good effort. And good video too. Agree completely about the knobs on Tuolumne rock - the hardest thing we climbed out there was 5.9 but I was constantly paranoid that one was going to give way....
 La benya 20 Nov 2010
In reply to Guy Atkinson:
Sometimes that's all there is in places like Swanage. But the rope drag on the ground and the braced position is more than enough to hold a second fall. Although it did look like he could have got a conventional belay set up if he tried
Ackbar 20 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News: I like how his main fear was "breaking a knob" :-D
 Jubjab 20 Nov 2010
I'm surprised (and at the same time not) that these guys decide to try to climb a hard R/X rated route onsight, but do not bother with helmets.
Russ Walling 21 Nov 2010
In reply to Jubjab:
> I'm surprised (and at the same time not) that these guys decide to try to climb a hard R/X rated route onsight, but do not bother with helmets.

Tuolumne was declared a "helmet free zone" by the National Park Service and the wearing of one whilst climbing instantly nullifies any ascent.
 jon 21 Nov 2010
In reply to Russ Walling:
> (In reply to Jubjab)
> [...]
>
> Tuolumne was declared a "helmet free zone" by the National Park Service and the wearing of one whilst climbing instantly nullifies any ascent.

Now there's a NPS rule that makes absolute sense for a change. Excellent!

Fire Marshall 21 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one. Cool vid. Cheers!

J
In reply to James Oswald:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> Too much talking and not enough action!

See I prefer that... get a bit bored just watching climbing unless it involves a lot of falling or wild moves.

I much prefer the back stories... hence one of my favourite films being Blood, sweat and Bagels
 Robert Durran 21 Nov 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to UKC News) inspirational. very good film.

Personally,I found it a very poor film; banal interviews, irritating speeded up bits, nothing that really conveyed what onsighting that kind of stuff is like, no footage that got my palms sweating (surely, if ever there was a route that should.....)
 Enty 22 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

The video told me nothing about the route. There's a clip where he's on the crux but there's gear just below him. Is this gear crap? What is this gear? On a 5:11C X?

E
 Madblock 24 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Well I liked it.....real weekend warriors, obsessing about a route and in the end doing a scary climb. One of the people was 59, absolutely awesome. Way too many armchair comments for my liking, jeez what do people want these days? "Choosing the right knob" gave me a little chuckle too!
 Offwidth 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Robert Durran:

do you have an alergy to US climbing?.... I'd add its unlike you to forget to say they used a silly grading system....
 Slaney 25 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Not really inspiring, after it finished I thought how long drawn out it was - boring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...