UKC

Kinder Downfall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JasRY 22 Nov 2010
Was just wondering if anyone has done the kinder downfall in winter, I was looking into doing it this winter season and roughly what time it usually comes into condition to climb?
 ChrisHolloway1 22 Nov 2010
In reply to JYates: It's very hit and miss, and if it does come into nick you'll have to get up there quick before the masses get up there and smash it to pieces
 Tony the Blade 22 Nov 2010
 LakesWinter 22 Nov 2010
In reply to JYates: May be worth a look by next tues or weds but I'd not bother before that. About a week of sustained frost normally but many things affect that. PS I have no vested interest in doing it as I've already done it, ie I'm not planning a Monday attempt etc
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Nov 2010
In reply to MattG:

I think it takes a week or two of hard frost once the ground water is already chilled. I don't think it ever forms in November.

Chris
 Col Kingshott 22 Nov 2010
In reply to JYates: I did it last year on 23rd dec. Studied every weather forecast for the whole week and seem to remember the temperature never went above -5 for the whole week at the altitude of the downfall. Snake pass was closed due to snow. It still wasn't fully formed when we did it, but got better i think a day or two later. There's a couple of pics on my profile.
 Offwidth 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs:

In some weird conditions it can form real fast.
 niallk 23 Nov 2010
 Offwidth 23 Nov 2010
In reply to niallk: Not at first light or in the night.
 gethin_allen 23 Nov 2010
loopyone 23 Nov 2010
In reply to JYates: Last year we were up ther by 7 after a 3 hour slog through fresh knee to waist deep snow we were the third pair to arrive by 10 am there were about 30 people queued, by the time we left at 3 people were still arriving, prepare for a long day
 summo 23 Nov 2010
In reply to tatty112:
> (In reply to JYates) Last year we were up ther by 7 after a 3 hour slog through fresh knee to waist deep snow we were the third pair to arrive by 10 am there were about 30 people queued, by the time we left at 3 people were still arriving, prepare for a long day

plenty time to do what the british do better than anyone else, queue.
OP JasRY 23 Nov 2010
In reply to JYates: Cheers for the replys guys, most helpful and the pics insightful.
 gethin_allen 25 Nov 2010
In reply to JYates:
Just been for a walk up on Kinder and thought I'd post this photo up to keep everyone up to date with how things are forming.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44546121@N04/5206696173

I didn't have time to get over to the downfall area but this gives you an idea.
Slam B 02 Dec 2010
In reply to JYates:
Has anyone been near it since the huge dump of snow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...