UKC

Keeping wet feet warm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 24 Nov 2010
My runs invariably involve boggy moorland and stream crossing which so far has been fine but I reckon if I went out in this morning's weather my feet would freeze. How do others cope? As an occassional runner I'm not sure if Gore-Tex socks are a worthwhile investement, do they even work?
 lummox 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Tyler: some friends swear by sealskinz. I just wear Hillys and put up with the cold.
 blurty 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Tyler:

Seal skin socks 'work' but they can still be pretty cold. IE the membrane keeps the wet out, but you still have a soggy cold wet sock feeling (Imagine putting you foot in a plastic bag, and dunking it in a bucket of water.)

Seal skin sock are also a bit rough and inflexible I have found.

They're better for mountain biking
 digby 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Tyler:

I just got some sealskinz and in 2 very boggy and wet runs they've been ok. I've was also wearing second pair of merino socks inside them. You need an oversize pair of shoes though. This is ok for me as purchasing disasters have left me with a supply of these.

How long they will stay unpunctured I don't know. I would imagine that with muddy hill runs the potential for debris getting in and ruining them is high.

So haven't been using them long enough to give a proper review. You could try wearing a couple of freezer bags. Not breathable but very thin! I thought they might make the shoes rotate badly but that didn't happen.
 George Ormerod 24 Nov 2010
In reply to digby:
> (In reply to Tyler)
>
> I just got some sealskinz and in 2 very boggy and wet runs they've been ok. I've was also wearing second pair of merino socks inside them. You need an oversize pair of shoes though. This is ok for me as purchasing disasters have left me with a supply of these.
>
> How long they will stay unpunctured I don't know. I would imagine that with muddy hill runs the potential for debris getting in and ruining them is high.
>
> So haven't been using them long enough to give a proper review. You could try wearing a couple of freezer bags. Not breathable but very thin! I thought they might make the shoes rotate badly but that didn't happen.

By the way, don't run through gorse patches with your Sealskinz, it doesn't do them much good.

After that I tried freezer bags (just a bit cheper!), but despite being tied they sagged down and ended up under my heel and filled with water.

I'm not on a second set of Sealskinz (with thin liners).

All this is for snowy winter runs where my feet get really cold. Normally I just put up with wet feet.

Banned User 77 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Tyler: Sealskinz are OK, but to be honest apart from the first few steps in a cold bog for a short run its not an issue. I think the foot muscles work so hard off road that heat generation is more than adequate.
 digby 24 Nov 2010
In reply to IainRUK:

Some people don't get cold feet and some do. I do and they get very very cold indeed; going from very painful to leaden blocks. So it is an issue! My hands freeze too. All this time the rest of me is sweating and boiling.
 digby 24 Nov 2010
In reply to digby:

There's another thread running on this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=433755
In reply to digby: I mean for me, strange though I get super cold hands, even in a vest I'll wear gloves, but its rare I get cold feet unless stopped.
 digby 24 Nov 2010
In reply to IainRUK:

I think mittens would work better than gloves but there doesn't seem to be much available in the shops. I've got big mountaineering ones which do work but I'm reluctant run in them, as it would look ridiculous.
In reply to digby: I use mountain equipment guide gloves. A bit clunky when running, but work well.
Thickhead 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Tyler:

Would a double pair of socks help? Waterproof running shoes?

Luckily for me I don't suffer with cold feet when running - out yesterday for several hours - boggy/wet/snowy/freezing conditions etc - just had me fell running shoes and cotton socks. I do try to maybe keep them dry for the first part of a run and I hate starting in wet shoes but usually end up soaking within the first mile!
 JMarkW 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Tyler:
> My runs invariably involve boggy moorland and stream crossing

Has someone hacked your profile and posting as you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...