UKC

Icebreaker and such like...............

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Little Billy 25 Nov 2010
I'm looking for a base layer for an extended trip to the Andes.............Is it really worth paying £50 - £80 for 1 "technical base layer"

If you own one are they worth it?

Or do yoy have any other's that you would recommend?

Cheers
 sargy 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Little Billy:

Not everyone is convinced, but I love my Merino baselayers. They just keep me comfortable in most conditions. They don't whiff, and they're obviously very breathable. I have Icebreaker gear, and also some stuff from Dale of Norway and Janus, both purchased in the Norway Shop in Keswick. I've picked up Patagonia stuff cheap in the sales before. Underneath my Rab VR smock its a really versatile combination.
 tony 25 Nov 2010

I have assorted merino tops and really like them all. Other manufacturers are:
Smartwool
Embers
Finisterre
Howies
Chocolate Fish

If you're quick, Howies are doing a 20% discount on everything with the discount SPEEDBOAT. Depending on your size, Embers have a few things on sale at good prices, but do watch out for their sizing, as I've found I need to go for a size up from my usual size.

One significant benefit of merino over artificial fibres is that it doesn't get as whiffy after a few days, and I do find they feel nicer.
Little Billy 25 Nov 2010
In reply to sargy:
Thanks for that - I know this is very much a personal thing but what is the expected "no wash life of an icebreaker"?

I'll not be able to wash it for about 3 weeks?
 JLS 25 Nov 2010

I've got thin Icebreaker base layers. The biggest single plus point for me is that they don't smell like a Helly and you can wear them for a days without fear of accidently gasing youself. I suspect the don't wick the moisture quite as well but this hasn't been a problem.
In reply to Little Billy: I've worn an Icebreaker top, boxers and leggings for two weeks and they were still fresh at the end of it.
 JLS 25 Nov 2010

>"I'll not be able to wash it for about 3 weeks?"

I've done about 5 days no problem in Icebreaker. I'm not sure how 3 weeks would go but I'd certainly not like to be in a Helly after 3 weeks!
 David Hooper 25 Nov 2010

Ive found the best no wash combo to be Berghaus Xstatic top and Merino Icebreaker lightweight boxies (Ive worn these both in cold climates and trekking in Ghana and Morocco where they cope well with sweat and chafe.
Little Billy 25 Nov 2010
In reply to David Hooper:

Thanks guys, all very helpful - I'm researching as the threads come in (Of course prepping for my lesson at the same time!)
 Arcticboy 25 Nov 2010

Did 7 days in Arctic conditions in three layers of helly, apparently I stank at the end of it, couldn't smell it myself.......

Stuffed the rancid kit in a canoe bag for the flight home and then gassed the wife and bairns when unpacking, wife refused to let anything else go in the washing machine with it for fear of contamination!!
 Jaffacake 25 Nov 2010

I love my ice breakers, I wear my trousers all winter under my normal clothes because I feel the cold, I probably wash them every week or two... or sometimes more...

Saying that my legs don't really sweat, I more wash them out of feeling that I should rather than because they actually smell.
 kathrync 25 Nov 2010
> (In reply to sargy)
> >
> I'll not be able to wash it for about 3 weeks?

I have worn an ice-breaker top pretty much constantly (in bed and out) for about 3 weeks without being able to wash it.

I won't say it didn't smell, but by the end it was obvious who was wearing merino and who was wearing synthetic layers!
 iccy 25 Nov 2010

Helly have started doing a merino too. outwoodsports are doing decent discounts on their stuff too.

I've got a friend who skied for 3-4 weeks every day in his merino and it didnt smell too mcuh.
 Ireddek 25 Nov 2010

I really like Icebreaker, but found the Kathmandu's own merino ones pretty good too. They've got a pretty big sale on them at the mo - I bought a thick merino t-shirt last weekend for £15. They had loads of other stuff too so might be worth a look as long as you don't mind the mainstream branding.
 Juglan 25 Nov 2010
I think Patagonia's Capeline is cheaper, smells much less and in general is more robust. I used to love merino wool (and still do for socks) but now use nothing else.
 DrJon 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Little Billy: Ice breaker is great, comfy and odour free to at least 10 days (longest I've worn it without washing).

Capilene is better than standard synthetics but still smells after a couple of days though I do find it is very lightweight for the same warmth.

Smart wool stuff seems to be slightly cheaper than Ice breaker but I've found it shrinks over a lot of washes which Icebreaker does not.
 Andy DJ 25 Nov 2010
Not wanting to put a dampener on the merino base layer lovin' but something I've found is merino takes ages to dry out if (when?) you get it wet. Bit of a problem if you're wanting to sleep in your down bag while wearing it. So two synthetic layers might work better in some circumstances where you can wear one and wash one as the synthetic will dry in next to no time.
 tony 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Andy DJ:

The drying thing is a downside, but at least damp wool will warm up, whereas damp synthetics will be cold.

The OP might also like to look at http://www.rockrun.com/categories/SHOP-BY-BRAND/Smartwool/ where they seem to be doing some good deals on Smartwool. I don't know if I've just been lucky, but I've never had any shrinkage problems with Smartwool (unlike DrJon above), and I have a couple of Smartwool tops which are my favourites for running in.
 GarethSL 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Little Billy: Try REDRAM clothing, its made by icebraker... but cheaper cause its a thinner knit merino so not as expensive but is excellent quality and with all the same features.
 richprideaux 25 Nov 2010

Have a look at the EDZ ones, much cheaper but still top-notch. The only merino i buy now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...