UKC

New British ice axe unveiled - Nomic copy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iwan 25 Nov 2010
OK I lied, there's no new axe; I've just stuck a new handle and a classic pick on an old Vertige.

http://imageevent.com/imagedude/simond?p=7&b=-1&m=24&c=4&w=...
 timmy-ts 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: Any reason why the alpine pick rather than the recurve/bannna pick?....
 Exile 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

Nice carpet! Unfortunately you need the change in angle near the top of the axe to provide clearance, but good effort for having a go! I'd stick with the X-Monsters.
 niggle 26 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

Looks great!

Nothing brings a smile to the gizzled chops of a Darwin Awards judge quite like the words, "home made climbing equipment".

jon 26 Nov 2010
In reply to niggle:
> (In reply to Iwan)
>
> Looks great!
>
> Nothing brings a smile to the gizzled chops of a Darwin Awards judge quite like the words, "home made climbing equipment".
>
>

Excellent! Made me laugh.

OP Iwan 26 Nov 2010
In reply to niggle:
> (In reply to Iwan)
>
>
>
> Nothing brings a smile to the gizzled chops of an old engineer quite like watching someone pay £200 for £5 worth of bent aluminium tube with a cheap metal spike on the end.
>
>

iksander 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: Any tips for bending aluminum tube without weakening it?
 Shona Menzies 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
> Nothing brings a smile to the gizzled chops of an old engineer quite like watching someone pay £200 for £5 worth of bent aluminium tube with a cheap metal spike on the end.
>

Haha !

My axes are old Glencoe mountain technology ones and i was thinking of ditching them for a pair of these fancy new curved ones but why not recycle them .
Just wana ask how do you bend them without making them a bit dodgy ?
and how do you attach the handle bit at the bottom ?
cheers Shona.
OP Iwan 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Naedanger:

I made some tube bending formers from plywood and bent the shaft in a screw press. The tube was full of ice which helps to prevent the tube from collapsing. The handle was rivited and glued to the shaft.
 ColdWill 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: I've used sand for that before, never thought of ice.
 iksander 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: Nice work! I think the Mrs will be quite understanding when she finds 2 old ice axes in the freezer
 Morgan Woods 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: Nice. Petzl should be worried.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...