UKC

Which insulated jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RichJ634 25 Nov 2010
I have scraped together £150 to spend on a nice warm jacket.

Looking for a synthetic fill, with a decent hood that will fit over a helmet. Something fairly warm would be good, but don't want to go heavier than 700g.

ME Fitzroy, Rab Photon Hoodie, Rab Photon Belay, Montane Flux are obvious choices but there are tonnes of others and I have no idea which to go for.

What do you guys reckon?
 iksander 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Gob_Stopper: I can recommend DAS Parka at just over 750g
In reply to Gob_Stopper:

I'm having a similar dilemma. Was almost set on the Fitzroy but then looked at the Rab Alpine Generator. Uses same fill as Fitztroy and both have helmet compatible hoods.

Can anyone comment on the different fabrics used?
OP RichJ634 25 Nov 2010
In reply to iksander: Would be great, but way outside my budget.
OP RichJ634 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Richard Gilbert: I'd say that they are pretty similar. Pertex Endurance in the shop seemed very similar to the drilite loft stuff which on the shoulders and arms of the fitzroy. Problem with the fitzroy is that it uses a different, less water resistant fabric on the main body.
I'd say the fitzroy is generally nicer. Better hood, and tricot? lined pockets. I have the generator jacket already, but wanted something with a hood hence looking for something else. I've had no other complaints.

All these jackets seem to be very similar. :-/
 Stuzz 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Gob_Stopper:

they are all very similar, and as such you probably cant go too wrong with any. Trawl around the shops and internet stores and find one thats on sale, buy that one and save yourself some money. The chances of being disappointed are very slim if you stick to reputable manufacturers.

Thats what i did anyway, seems to have worked out just fine for me!

Im using an OR Fraction Hoody which i got in the sale for about £60 btw. Does the job quite nicely.
OP RichJ634 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Stuzz: Hmm. I want to try it on first so internet won't do and have no car so can't get around to other shops.
The Fitzroy massively won me over in store...
OP RichJ634 25 Nov 2010
In reply to iksander: Ah! Didn't find that in my searches! Thanks!
 rorschach 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Gob_Stopper:
Just got a ME Fitzroy jacket. Jeez, it is brilliant, good hood that helmet fits in ( medium for me) warm and well fitting. Very warm and really happy with it!
 iksander 25 Nov 2010
In reply to iksander: I fancy a Berghaus Ignite Belay Parka (not the lighter "hoody"). Very similar spec to a DAS parka, half the price.

133g Primaloft One body, 100g Primaloft One arms, 680g £120

Geeky, but Primaloft One is worth looking for over Primaloft Sport
 d_b 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Gob_Stopper:

I had a rab photon, which was ace. Unfortunately it got nicked. I replaced it with a montane thing (can't remember the name) which isn't as good.

To be fair the montane is as warm, and as well made but the layout of the pockets isn't as well thought out.
OP RichJ634 26 Nov 2010
In reply to davidbeynon: What is the fit on the rab photon like? I'm a medium in their kit usually. Can't get anywhere to try one on. Not sure if a medium would be fine, or if a large would fit over layers better. Depends on whether they've deliberately made it with more volume I guess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...