UKC

Repairing Icebreaker Top

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SarahLD 25 Nov 2010
I have a very lightweight Icebreaker Top which has holes in one sleeve. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to prevent the holes getting bigger, which they seem to do each time i wear it? It is a very thin material (150 i think) and the odd hole appeared after just the first wash (i think it got caught on something in the machine). Now a few more have appeared and im reluctant to wear it. The material is so superfine that it just seems to keep 'unravelling' itself.

I have contacted icebreaker and unfortunately they dont have any suggestions as to how to fix/prevent the holes from worsening.

My only idea is to put a dab of superglue over them, as I'd be happy just to stop them getting worse, as opposed to trying to 'repair' the holes.

Anyone have any suggestions?
 jl 25 Nov 2010
In reply to SarahLD: I use Seam Grip, it's more flexible than superglue.

Jon
 Dr Rorlasaurus 26 Nov 2010
In reply to SarahLD:

I use nail varnish.
OP SarahLD 04 Dec 2010
In reply to both: thank you both for suggestions, will see how i get on!
 Rich L 04 Dec 2010
In reply to SarahLD:
I used to have this problem a lot with my merino clothing and then a colleague at work informed me that the holes are probably due to hungry moths eating them.

To keep the pesky critters away I now use these:

http://www.cashmerecentre.com/product_details2.asp?ID=47

I still don't know what to do about the holes, though.

oldgrey 06 Dec 2010
In reply to SarahLD:

I have both abrasion holes on my elbows and moth holes around the cuff.

A little thread worked fine on the moth holes, and I just sewed some patches (cut out of some stretchy fabric) onto the elbows.

Worked fine, and in spite of rubbish skill at sewing, look fine too with black patches on black Icebreaker.
 thin bob 06 Dec 2010
In reply to SarahLD: depending how big they are, try darning [making a 'grid' of threads to fill the hole without trying to pull the sides together. apologies if you know that already!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...