UKC

Bolts chopped on Cerro Torre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scarab 03 Dec 2010
http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1319502/Bolts-chopped-on-Cerro-Torr...

More info on D.Lama bolting on cerro torre. If what written above is true then he has put bolts on the actual route.
 Boogs 03 Dec 2010
In reply to Scarab:

If this is the case ,how long did lama & co think they would get away with it? Or were they hoping that nobody else would notice all the extra bolts up there ? It defies logic ,what an arrogant bunch of shits (if that is the case). & I'm not going to lie but the sniping thing crossed my mind for a nano second before I read a similar post further down the page .

Maybe the drinks company would like to sponsor some snipers blind fold them & give them a spotter for lamas next attempt , would liven them up a little & they obviously don't care who they sponsor as long as they get the coverage . grrrr . . .
 Bulls Crack 03 Dec 2010
In reply to Scarab:

Well, it not much further on than Eroica.
Removed User 03 Dec 2010
In reply to Scarab:

Good to see the arse that actually placed the bolts getting named, Heli Putz.

If you'd like to write to him then you'll find contact details here: http://www.outdoor-leadership.com/#/de/Outdoor-Leadership/Team/-/Heli-Putz/

simonwhittle 03 Dec 2010
In reply to Scarab:
I've read the whole story and although I see what people are saying I don't see why someone bothered to chop the bolts, why not just leave them there? Chopped bolts look much worse than just bolts.
 Jonny2vests 03 Dec 2010
In reply to simonwhittle:

Interesting logic. Care to elaborate?
 jwi 04 Dec 2010
In reply to simonwhittle: I definitely disagree. I have found it easy to chop expansion bolts in granite so they are chopped flush with the rock. The colour of the bolt is often very similar to the colour of the rock which makes chopped bolts hard to see unless you are close to them, whereas bolts can be seen from miles away.

The argument that chopped bolts look much worse than just bolts are not only completely false, it also misses the point. The main problem with bolts in the alpine environment are not that they are an eyesore, the main problem is that they lower the difficulty, undermine the style, diminish the adventure, and murder the impossible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...