UKC

Lakes Winter conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hearnson 04 Dec 2010
I was out climbing with Dan from Real Adventure today, he runs a blog for Lakes Winter Conditions.

We headed over Kirkstone Pass with one of the Real Adventure Staff's 4x4's, it was needed as the road was impassable to normal vehicles.

The conditions where superb, the temperature rose above the summit and then fell again towards the afternoon. Dan says this will help to consolidate the snow that is here.

We climbed
Gully 1
Down Swirral Edge
V-Corner
Then down Striding Edge

Check out...

http://real-adventure.co.uk/blog

...for more info.

We are heading out tomorrow for another day out on the ice, this time we are headed to ice falls rather than mixed climbing.
 DR 05 Dec 2010
In reply to Hearnson:
Just to update the Real Adventure blog about Low Water Beck. I soloed it today with what seemed to be a lot less ice than on Friday - I guess it's been a busy weekend. There were 15 or so people on the route or waiting while I was there. Very atmospheric second pitch under the chockstone.

Saturday's slight thaw didn't get very far up the hill. Most of the snow is still unconsolidated with only a thin crust on top. Plenty of teams out on Low Water Crag above the tarn - South Gully looked a good route from below but no idea of conditions.

Aye,
Davie
stainleberry 06 Dec 2010
In reply to Hearnson:
Up this weekend. Tried Gable crags from Seathwaite on saturday in a team of 4. Thawing lower down but lots of unconsolidated snow on the crag making progress up the gullies nye on impossible - waist deep in places. Backed off and played in the snow instead making shelters. Got some piccies of someone having a bit of an epic on the Engineer slab.

Sunday a lot colder - headed to Launchy Gill where we had it to ourselves til 10am. Climbed all variations - again as a team of 4. Great day
Jim Crow 06 Dec 2010
In reply to stainleberry:

Not Engineer's Slab - Snicker Snack

Not an epic, just a prolonged but successful battle

Didn't even get punched in Keswick.
 Kevin Avery 06 Dec 2010
In reply to stainleberry:

Yep that was me! Pretty epic lead but got there in the end. So kind of correct with the "epic" part! If you've got any shots would be good to see them?

Cheers

Kevin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...