UKC

ice axe lanyards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
weeeck42 06 Dec 2010
Was out yesterday with a guy who suggested that I get rid of my axe axe leashes and replace them with lanyards to make life easier when placing gear and general movement on the route. As I am a relative novice at winter climbing and only climb grade 2 routes will this help or shall I stick with what I have. Any thoughts on this? If this has already been debated to death then accept my apologies and could someone send me a link to the forum so I can have a look. Thanks for your help.
 nufkin 06 Dec 2010
In reply to weeeck42:

It depends what axes you use - climbing without leashes on something without a hand rest will probably get a bit pumpy pretty quickly. It is much easier to faff with swapping/gear/rope/etc without leashes.

Ian Jones 06 Dec 2010
In reply to weeeck42:

A perfectly good idea and one which I am about to adopt. That way you can't drop the tools and you can rst on them easily.
 Nick_Scots 06 Dec 2010
I found this a bit yesterday. But as long as I can reach gear placements etc I'm happy. More bother is turning screwgates with big gloves.

I'm looking at getting tighter fitting waterproof gloves. This should avoid the fingers of the glove snagging the gates.

Nick
weeeck42 08 Dec 2010
In reply to nufkin: Thanks for your reply, I have an DMM raptor axe and a mountain tech hammer, do you know if i can fit a "fang" or hook at the bottom to help with the grip.
Icehanger 09 Dec 2010
In reply to weeeck42:
Try clippers, now i've got them I wont be going back to normal leashes, so much easier when you need faff with gear.
 CurlyStevo 09 Dec 2010
In reply to The Purple Pimpernel:
"you can rst on them easily"

not with many springer leashes well atleast not on both tools, if you place them at the same height and rest the handles will be out of reach.
 CurlyStevo 09 Dec 2010
In reply to The Purple Pimpernel:
PS do you know my mate Kenny? your profile looks familiar to a desciption of one of his pals.
 Jones 09 Dec 2010
In reply to weeeck42:
I've just fidged some instead of buying some, out of chainsaw lanyards!
I've got them on a spinner self locking crab, and mini wire gates (rated) clipped into the plunge eye on DMM Rebels. Looks weird but works a treat.
First year for me to do this and its easier than leashes. When going up easier slopes i either clip into the head or the clipper eye to keep the wire gates out of the crud.
Simples!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...