UKC

Synthetic fill alternative to TNF Nuptse?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 haydn 15 Dec 2010
I've got a Nuptse which has served me well for six years but now needs replacing. The only downside of it was it's propensity to get a bit bedraggled in the rain (understandably). Does anyone know of any similar jackets with synthetic fill that might replace it? Don't mind going a little bit cooler if necessary, and a hood would be nice. Had a look at Rab Generator and the like, but just seem that bit too thin in comparison to the 700 fill of the Nuptse; I'm struggling to find anything between a full-on winter belay jacket and the Generator. It will be used around town and to walk the dog as well as when camping etc, so I'm afraid vanity will play a part in this decision too!
In reply to haydn:
http://www.fall-line.co.uk/news/gear-news/patagonia-insulated-outskirts-jac...

Was looking at this yesterday. Nice jacket, well made. £380 though
 Luk e 15 Dec 2010
In reply to haydn:

The rab belay, however they have stopped making them, I've been after a small for ages!
OP haydn 16 Dec 2010
Hmmm... £380 is a little outside my price range unfortunately. Rab belay looks close but I'd need a small and the girlfriend has said it looks "too climby" for dog walking and town!
stuart945 16 Dec 2010
In reply to haydn:

I've got a berghaus combust which i love (especially the hood). Probably just a little cooler than patagonia das parka, but definitly warmer than the generator.
 Alex Ekins 16 Dec 2010
In reply to haydn:
Rab are still making Belay jackets - http://www.rab.uk.com/clothing/primaloft/photon_belay_jacket---83/
Cheers
Alex
In reply to stuart945:

> I've got a berghaus combust which i love

Berghaus do seem to have a nice range of different weight Primaloft-filled jackets. The only problem is that they don't quote the fill weights on their website... <goes off to check that they've not updated it since I raised a query two weeks ago: no>

Ignite, Ignite Hoody, Ignite Belay Parka, Combust, Incinerator, in order of warmth.

Query response:

Ignite Hoody
Body - 100g/sq m
Arms - 60 g/sq m

Ignite Belay Parka
Body - 133 g/sq m
Arms - 100 g/sq m
 benny_m 16 Dec 2010
In reply to haydn:

Berghaus Combust jacket is superb I've used it for alpine, winter, skiing, craging etc.

The hood is great as well you can easily fit a helmet underneath, I replaced my North Face Elysium down jacket with one of these and haven't regretted it
Locus 17 Dec 2010
In reply to haydn:

Hi Haydn,

I mentioned the Sasquatch jacket over here yesterday, which might be good for you:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=435795
 Taurig 17 Dec 2010
In reply to haydn:

I recently bought the ME Fitzroy jacket after reading many positive reviews on here. I have to confess that I haven't used it out on the hill yet due to the crappy travelling situation over the last few weeks, but it's kept me warm walking round town in -10 C and near blizzard conditions so far. In my opinion it's just very well thought out, hood design seems great, cut is good etc.

I tried a Rab Generator Alpine on as well when I was shopping, but wasn't as impressed with it. The main thing that put me off it was the 2 way waterproof zip, which not only was trickier to do up even in the shop, but in my mind, pointless. The jacket isn't fully waterproof, so why put a waterproof zip on it? Overall it just didn't feel as good quality as the Fitzroy, and this is coming from someone who is more than happy with other Rab products.
 thin bob 17 Dec 2010
In reply to haydn:
got a photon & it's great, but..don't think it's as warm and the hood isn't great without a helmet. excellent if you just look forwards . neck drawcord would be nice.
pockets are good, fleece lined on i side, mesh lined chest pockets would be good for a bit of venting {keela belay 'parka' has this and pit zips, but don't think they make it anymore ].

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...