UKC

Work experience

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Climbwhenready 16 Dec 2010
Hey guys Alex here (15), I have work experience for Tenbury high school and would love to do experience for an outdoor venue. From outdoor designers (clothing and equipment)to a climbing instructor. If you can help please say on ukc.On thing, it would be great if it was near worcestershire or herefordshire. Thankyou , Alex Shrimpton.
 Katie86 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Climbwhenready:

Heya.

It depends what time of year you are looking to do work experience. I used to work at Longtown Outdoor Education Centre and we took Work Experience people on throughout the year.

http://www.longtownoec.co.uk/doe/work_exp.htm
£100 a week - accomodation included.
You do get to take part in the activities but also get a little instructing/supervisory experience (depending on what instructor you get teamed up with). Longtown is between Abergavenny and Hereford.
- you have to make your own way there but it is possible to arrange a lift from Abergavenny train station or pos. Hereford.

From your school to (driving):
Longtown OEC (60 mins)
Malvern Hills OEC (40 mins)
Upton Warren OEC (45 mins)
Trewern OEC (55 mins)
(I know Upton Warren isn't residential and is mainly watersports - you might be able to get some kind of deal on these (Malvern/Upton Warren) price wise as theye are owned by Worcester County Council - as is your school.

Hope that helps...you can msg me and i'll try to help I know the area quite well.
 Katie86 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Katie86:

As an addition I think you would struggle to get work experience in outdoor retail although work asking I suppose - shops that sell ice axes/knives etc. would be pretty apprehensive about a work ex. candidate in their shop.
Climbwhenready 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Katie86: Oh thankyou so much Katie! Just one question, for me the best one to go to is malvern hills. what activities do they offer? Oh and the work experienceis 1 weeks in march.

Thankyou so much, Alex.
 dingbat46 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Climbwhenready: Try Llanrug OEC near llanberis. Owned by WCC. 1 week residential placement...?
Climbwhenready 17 Dec 2010
In reply to dingbat46: yeah I only have 1 week. Thankyou for the suggestion!
 ChrisHolloway1 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Climbwhenready: my brother http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=91372 is on the outdoor ed course at Worcester and knows the centres round there, he's also on the commitee of the mountaineering club, so he might be able to help.Drop him a line
Climbwhenready 19 Dec 2010
In reply to ChrisHolloway1: Thankyou Chis, I will ring him soon ,but what time would he be free?

Once again ,Thankyou so much chris this should help!
 abr1966 19 Dec 2010
In reply to Climbwhenready: I can't offer you any help mate but just wanted to say good on you for posting this request on here, good luck with it...
Climbwhenready 25 Dec 2010
In reply to abr1966: No problem, and thank you anyway!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...