UKC

Winter socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 16 Dec 2010
Is there a pair of winter socks that is/are the benchmark in keeping tootsies warm n toasty whilst out cycling.
Im doing a few miles at present but really suffering with cold feet.
I realise we are going thru some severe temps at present and whilst I can keep the rest of my body warm, my "plates of meat" really get it!
I use my bigger pair of mtb shoes and tried every combination of socks I have PLUS Endura overboots.
Still no real joy !

Is there something that is considered the "tops" for the intended job ????

Ta all
 Bean Head 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100:

I'd say Seal Skinz. They make very good wind/waterproof stuff for your hands and feet.

Cheers.

Rob
 Ron Walker 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100:

Anything made with wool wiil be warm compared to synthetics!
 AndyC 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100: Do you have neoprene overboots or just nylon shells? I have Shimano neoprenes and my feet are toasty with one pair of socks at minus 15 degC.

Also, you need to keep your lower legs warm, otherwise you are pumping chilled blood into your feet and they will feel cold whatever you cover them with - same principle for your hands, I used to really suffer with frozen finger tips (previously frost nipped at altitude) until I saw the light and started putting more layers on my arms and making sure my wrists were well covered.

Removed User 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100:
went to field&trek tonight, saw they have in stock merino trekker socks, heavyweight mountaineering socks, for peanuts £6-7
hope it helps
seb
 critter 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100:

Try Ground Effect Lucifer's

Fleece cycling socks with a windproof membrane.

very warm and fast ,cheap shipping from NZ
 chris j 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100: Another vote for Sealskinz, think mine are the merino insulated type, always toasty...
 steev 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100:

Are you referring to road cycling or MTB? This winter on my MTB I have forsaken SPDs as having a massive heat sink attached to my foot was not doing my toes favours.

If you are road cycling or have another reason to cling to SPDs, consider using a footbed or similar to insulate the bottom of your feet.
 lummox 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100: the warm Sealskinz for me. My feet were fine riding in when it was -12c a couple of weeks ago.
 DrJon 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100: I've got some of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-winter-plus-cycling-socks/

Not over thick so they fit the shoes well and very warm and comfy. Always thought Assos stuff was overpriced (the socks seem to be an exception), but I've been so impressed by these I'm tempted to try some more of their stuff.....
 KarlH 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100:

I feel your pain. I have absolutly no problems keeping my hands warm but my feet suffer. I have tried Sealskins socks with neoprene overshoes and my feet get cold after an hour which is worrying as i have a 4 hour MTB enduro in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone tried layering several pairs of thin socks. The layering principle works for the rest of the body so i am hoping it will be equally good on my feet. I can report back on this on Monday.

An important factor is to make sure your shoes are big enough for the socks you have. Any constriction will reduce blood flow. You mention you wear your bigger shoes so i assume this is not a problem.

Also, as mentioned make sure your legs are warm.

I will keep an eye on this thread in the hope for a gem of information!
 mark catcher 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100: Forget the socks, it's winter boots you need. I suffered for years till I forked out for a pair of Shimano winter boots, teamed up with a pair of fleecy lined gaitors (neoprene socks) I have never had cold feet since despite cycling/walking through snow/ice for hours whilst Mtb'ing. Overshoes don't work as they have a hole in the bottom for the freezing pedals to permeate. Get your hand in your pocket!
 TimB 17 Dec 2010
In reply to KarlH:
> (In reply to Newbuild100)
>
> I feel your pain. I have absolutly no problems keeping my hands warm but my feet suffer. I have tried Sealskins socks with neoprene overshoes and my feet get cold after an hour which is worrying as i have a 4 hour MTB enduro in a couple of weeks.
>

If you're wearing summer/ventilated shoes under neoprene overshoes then you can always try adding a layer of aluminium foil over your shoe, under the overshoe.

My missus does this when heading out in "too-cold-for-me" conditions and says it helps a lot.
 KarlH 17 Dec 2010
In reply to TimB:
> (In reply to KarlH)
> [...]
>
> If you're wearing summer/ventilated shoes under neoprene overshoes then you can always try adding a layer of aluminium foil over your shoe, under the overshoe.
>
> My missus does this when heading out in "too-cold-for-me" conditions and says it helps a lot.

I was thinking plastic bag but tin foil maybe good to retain any heat.

Winter shoes is probably the best option but im poor.
OP Newbuild100 17 Dec 2010
In reply to KarlH: Thanks so far all.
I am using a roadbike with mtb type pedals (so that I can use my "biggest" shoes)
I am also using Endura neoprene overboots.
On my bottom half I am using a pair of running tights underneath a pair of "ronhill tracksters", plus cycling shorts.
Interesting that someone suggested ensuring my calfs/lower legs are warm.
(My legs feel warm enough, but insulating them more may help my feet !!

Keep your ideas coming folks
 Brass Nipples 17 Dec 2010
In reply to Newbuild100:

I wear Shimano MW80 winter boots, one size bigger than my summer shoes, plus my summer walking wool socks. No problems with cold so far, although a bit icy getting home tonight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...