UKC

Compass pace counter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mitch1990 19 Dec 2010
Hi doses anyone know were I can get hold of one of the little white (I think they only do them in white) pace counters that goes up to 9 and you can stick stick on your compass? I think there by silva
really want one but I cant seem to find out were to get them from.

I'm trying to get myself in a position that I can go for my ML training the start of next year. If anyone wants to help by giving me one, out the kindness of there heart I would appreciate it. If someone wants to offer me one at a good price I will think about it, or if you know were I can buy one from pleases let me know.

Thanks
MB
Irishonthewirral 19 Dec 2010
In reply to mitchellbowen1990: interested too
 alps-john 19 Dec 2010
In reply to Irishonthewirral: I find that using fingers is easier ie: 1 finger is 100 metres. Keep your nav legs as small as possible. The only purpose i can see for 9 position counters is either 90 metres or 900.
90 metres you should be able to keep track of without a counter and 900 is longer than any leg i would navigate.
 alps-john 19 Dec 2010
In reply to mitchellbowen1990: pm sent
In reply to mitchellbowen1990: I got one somewhere, they're fairly pants, beads or such like is much easier, and you can feel how many you've done in the dark!
 petestack 19 Dec 2010
In reply to mitchellbowen1990:

Try five spring toggles with stainless steel springs on your compass cord (move up one-by-one to count 500m, back for the next 500m, and both robust and intuitive).

Re. fingers/in your head etc... never worked for me if distracted (I'd know the paces, but forget the 100) + it's hard to count to 10 with only nine fingers!
 alps-john 19 Dec 2010
In reply to petestack: Oh. er... start counting with your thumb (not technically a finger). But hey ho.
OP Mitch1990 19 Dec 2010
In reply to petestack: Thanks for all your advice guys, I would still like to try and get my hands on a counter to rule it out for myself (so mountain machine if you want to get rid of your's pleases let me know).
I have already got a few toggles I think I need something like this I can move to see visually and do practically to keep track as im sure I would loses my focus if I just counted or used my fingers if i stop to relate to the map.

Thanks
MB
m0unt41n 19 Dec 2010
In reply to mitchellbowen1990: The toggles you slide up and down are much better. Got mine from Cotswold years ago. In night nav you can feel how many which you can't with the counter. Anyhow you really dont want any leg to be more than 500m, otherwise accuracy goes way off.
OP Mitch1990 19 Dec 2010
In reply to m0unt41n: Ive just ordered myself some toggles so ill have 5 in total. I have been thinking about what everyone has said. I agree I cant Imagen myself walking for any longer than 500 meter without referring to the map. so have decided to go with togles but would still like a clicker to play with to see what there like if anyone has one.

Thanks
MB
 Pritchard 20 Dec 2010

I use Military Pacing Beads. They are plastic with no metal in them. These are the ones I use:

http://www.rvops.co.uk/pace-beads-655.html

I have used them in winter, covered in rime ice at night in a whitout/blizzard and they worked fine. Though it does go without saying they are much easier to use without gloves on.

Craig.

Pritchard 20 Dec 2010
In reply to Pritchard:

P.S. I picked mine up in an army surplus store in Edinburgh in Leith,so if you have a army surplus nearby, they might be worth a try.
 trish1968 20 Dec 2010
In reply to mitchellbowen1990: I got mine from an outdoors shop think it was Joe Browns can't remember. They usually have them on the counter.
 nniff 20 Dec 2010

I prefer 5 beads on a string on my rucsac strap. One for very 500m. Being a bear of very little brain, I tend to lose count if I've got a walking pole in each hand. If I'm still counting at 2500, I restart the beads, and reckon that I can remember that I've been counting for miles and am therefore on the second set
 JIMBO 20 Dec 2010
In reply to mitchellbowen1990: I had a couple of friends who bought toggles and some cord to help with their ML consolidation period before assessment - in the end they never used them because the legs (as described above) were always planned so that the pacing was no more than 300m max.
 trish1968 20 Dec 2010
In reply to JIMBO: I used them a fair bit when I was doing my ML. It means you can chat/interact and count at the same time (to a certain degree)instead of having to concentrate too hard on counting.
In reply to trish1968: Totally Trish, cause everyone tends to forget that even on your night nav that your looking out for your group, helping them cross streams etc, and generally having some chat. Not a spooky march in silence.. although bear in mind others are trying to pace, take bearings on your back etc too.
 Choss Weasel 20 Dec 2010
In reply to mitchellbowen1990: I use a knitting row counter (large size is best). Heres what I mean:

http://www.outbackyarns.com/Knitting-Crochet-Accessories/Row-Counters/prod_...
 Choss Weasel 20 Dec 2010
In reply to Choss Weasel: Btw I keep it on the cord/lanyard my compass is on. Very handy.
man_in_the_alps 21 Dec 2010

What you are looking for is a silva tachometer, I have a couple but i think they have stopped making them now
 pol 21 Dec 2010
In reply to mitchellbowen1990: Some use these and you can get them in some places in black plastic!

http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/tally-counter-p-2620.html?currency=GBP
 Billhook 21 Dec 2010
I too have one of those counters on one of my compasses. They are not for counting paces but counting totals of 100m/yds covered.

Mine was a Silva one. I'd be suprised if a retailer couldn't get one if still made.
In reply to Choss Weasel:
> (In reply to mitchellbowen1990) I use a knitting row counter (large size is best). Heres what I mean:
>
> http://www.outbackyarns.com/Knitting-Crochet-Accessories/Row-Counters/prod_...

Only problem with this, is it's hard to turn in with gloves on, use it in the dark, read it in the dark. I got one to try out and didn't suit me. Can't find my silva one.. toggles are the way to go.
 happy_c 31 Dec 2010
In reply to mountainmachine: Sorry to seem daft but what do you mean by toggles?
In reply to happy_c: These kind of things;

http://www.cordstops.com/Ball-ColorChart%20226x400.jpg

If anyone knows where you can get glow in the dark ones...
OP Mitch1990 31 Dec 2010
In reply to mitchellbowen1990: Thanks for all your help guys i have gone with the toggles and now have a set thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...