UKC

ice climbing footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
south west stew 23 Dec 2010
hi would like some advice on a new purtchace i am looking in to buying some new boots and crampons and do i go for a pair of B2 boots or B3 and witch crampons i am a tad confused
thanks
Stew
 stewyclimb 23 Dec 2010
In reply to south west stew: go to your local store, i would start off with B2.
In reply to south west stew: thanks abd are B2 ok to ice climb with
In reply to south west stew: B2 are adequate but you will feel the benefit of B3 boots on steeper ice and B3 boots will take both B2 and B3 crampons.

Al
 Mike Nolan 23 Dec 2010
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: But B3 boots also cost more and might not be worth it if the OP is only starting out.

In reply to the OP: http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/getting_the_right_crampon

That's a really informative page, I've just read through it myself. Something like Grivel G12's sounds ideal for you, Andy Kirkpatrick reckons they are decent on Ice and Mixed, but they can also be used to walk in and aren't too heavy.
 sasmojo 23 Dec 2010
In reply to south west stew: Hey Stew, I''l fly in the face of some of the comments. I would go straight to a B3 (I actually did) if you think you will be very serious about getting into winter climbing and walking for that matter.

I have only been winter climbing for a few years now, but went straight for the B3 due to cost. They are more expensive, but I knew I was going to like it and get hooked, so ultimately saved money. I shopped around and purchased something was confortable for me at the time (Scarpa Freney XT) and have had several years of great winter/ice climbing and alpine trips out of them.

The link to AK's article is a great source of info for crampons.

Good luck and be safe.

S
In reply to south west stew: thanks sasmojo that is what i was thinking i do have a pair of B3 crampons so the £300 on boots will be roughley the same as buying a B2+ crampons
In reply to Mike Nolan:
> (In reply to Al Randall) But B3 boots also cost more and might not be worth it if the OP is only starting out.
>
Yes but then a pair of B2 sitting in the cupboard plus a pair of B3 costs even more.

Al
Climbwhenready 23 Dec 2010
In reply to south west stewHello Stew, I have just had a look on youtube, This is a video about b1 b2 and b3 boots, aswell as crampons. it tells you where you can use them and what you can use them for. It has been done by cotswolds and is a great video to show you. It tells you from glacier travel to high alpine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcTIMQjbDQs&feature=related

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...