UKC

Softshells

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Nolan 30 Dec 2010
I've looked around for answers, but it's easier to ask because I'm not really getting anywhere!

Making my first trip to the Alps next year and I'm considering some new softshell clothing. I'm trying to figure out what you would replace with a softshell. Are they to replace a fleece and hardshell in drier conditions?

What about softshell trousers, do they replace hardshell pants and whatever you're wearing underneath?

Appreciate any advice.
 stewieatb 30 Dec 2010
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Hmm. These questions are a little tough to answer.

Softshell is about rethinking your layering system for flexibility from a single layer. In a sense it will replace your warm layer (fleece) and your hardshell unless it's pishing down - you carry the hardshell and only wear it when it's pishing down.

Give these a read:

http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/cut_the_crap1

http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_best_softshell_in_the_wor...
 Fishmate 30 Dec 2010
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Yes and yes in my experience. No softshell will offer full waterproofing, so a hard shell is always good to have just in case. I run hot and stand very cold, so getting it right has been a challenge. I've found merino base layers to be more useful than anything else. For example, I have worn Icebreaker 200 weight leggings under Salomon Wayfarer softshell trousers (these are superlight summer trousers) this winter and have felt very good. On top, a Merino 200 weight again and same for underpants with a Rab VR on top once I get going. A Polartec 200 fleece when stopping has seen me right throughout the cold spell. I have a Salomon Goretex Windstopper in case it gets a bit choppy, but the wind has been well behaved so far this winter.
Basically a good softshell is much more breathable than fleece or hard shell. I love the Rab VR, though some will question that this is too light to be considered a true softshell. It works, nuff said. You can wear as a base or over a base and it functions very well. It will repel light rain for some time also and is reasonably windproof.
 Keendan 30 Dec 2010
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Personally I vouch for the Mountain Hardwear Alchemy.(Although tbf I have no experience of anything else)
The DWR wears off, but the fabric is so tough and thick that I have never felt the rain through it, despite walking in long heavy showers.

When the rain stops, it dries so fast I almost forget it was wet before.

I have been in a blizzard with Merino base layer+Alchemy and felt well protected.
 Fishmate 30 Dec 2010
In reply to Daniel Heath:

Wash it with DWR treatment. Good as new.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...