UKC

Hard shell coats + boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 04 Jan 2011
Hi all,
In November of this year I plan to go and do this trip: http://www.adventurecompany.co.uk/tours/winter-toubkal
Currently I'm wearing a couple year old Musto waterproof (http://www.musto.com/fcp/product/Outdoor-Clothing/Coastal/Inshore-Sailing/B... for stomping round the hills.

Now in the experience of everyone here do they think this would be suitable as my top layer for this?

Boot wise I'm pottering around in these: http://www.millets.co.uk/view/brand/Hi_Tec/product/083557/ht-new-m-kruger-i...

Again suitable or not? I understand crampons are needed for this trip and was looking at the walking crampons from KTS.

Thanks for any help, obviously its a long way in the future but I need to save for kit so best to start early.
 stewieatb 04 Jan 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

Those boots are nowhere near suitable. You need to be looking at serious mountain boots (Rated B1 or more) to fit crampons to them. Scarpa SLs or Mantas, something in that area, or maybe pick up some cheap B3 double boots second hand (tough at this time of year, try at the end of this winter season). For crampons, your guiding trip organisers will probably provide some, along with an ice axe, but if not get Grivel Monte Rosa, Climbing Technology Nevis, or something similar, rated C1.

Some of my mates did Toubkal last February, very cold and snowy and they didn't summit due to high winds.
 ChrisHolloway1 04 Jan 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

Toubkal is hard and very cold in Feb.

Those boots are nowhere even close to suitable, you will need B2 rated boots and crampons.

That jacket is also not suitable, temperatures will be well below zero the whole time you are at the hut and above, you will need a better jacket, a sailing jacket is not suitable I'm afraid.

stewieatb 04 Jan 2011
In reply to stewieatb:

Thinking about it, Chris is right: B2 boots and crampons. It looks like your company don't provide much kit, so you'll need C2 crampons - look at Grivel G12 or similar - and an ice axe - Grivel Munro or DMM Cirque are nice. Get them fitted at a proper climbing shop, don't even look at anything in Millets.
OP fire_munki 04 Jan 2011
Didn't think the jacket was anywhere near suitable but it never hurts to ask!
Likewise I knew the boots wouldn't do.
Jacket wise what sort of thing should I be looking at?

Crampons can be rented and are C1 ones ( http://www.trekhireuk.com/StalkerCrampon.html ), would B1 boots be suitable for walking normally. Don't really want to buy boots that are so specific considering I live in Devon.
In reply to fire_munki: Ok,

Boots wise they really need to be B2, B1 will be too flexible and if you are doing ice steps or slightly steeper ground (will depend on route) you will need B2 boots with C2 crampons.

Jackets wise you will need a decent layer system:

Hard shell - proshell gortex jacket or eVent would be ideal here
Soft shell - something like a Mountain Equipment Astron

Belay Jacket - a down jacket would be essential on a trek like this incase you get stuck, if on a budget consider an Alpkit Filo perhaps.

Any specific questions drop me a line as I have done the route before.

Chris
In reply to ChrisHolloway1:

Thanks, I think I will be, looking at the guide I doubt its going to be taking a particularly hard route (I understand that even a "simple" route is going to be hard going).
Not doubting you advice on the crampons but if the hire company is using C1 surely they would be appropriate?

Once I've got a kit list I'll prob drop you a line.

To the guys for jackets saying I should go to a good climbing shop to try stuff out, does anyone know of a good one around Plymouth? I can travel if needs be.
In reply to fire_munki: No worries, personally I wouldn't treat Toubkal in winter much different (in terms of footwear) to a day out in Scottish winter, and I wouldn't personally wear C1 crampons for that. But at the end of the days it's your choice, you can always contact the hire company/trekking company for advice and see what they reccomend.

Good luck!
In reply to ChrisHolloway1: Just having a look through the pictures on the website of the company you are going with. Looks like in a lot of the pics B2 boots and C2 crampons are worn http://www.adventurecompany.co.uk/files/imagecache/tui_image_gallery/PD1_69...
In reply to ChrisHolloway1:
Assuming we go with needing B2/C2 footwear, can
a) the crampons be hired, if so does anyone know a good place.
b) are the boots suitable for normal use?
In reply to fire_munki: I wear my B2 boots (scarpa Manta) for everything from Peak District hill walking to Scottish winter climbing, I've found them very versatile!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...