UKC

Ice Screw Sharpening

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drmarten 04 Jan 2011
Any while-you-wait ice screw sharpening in Glasgow area?
 Hay 04 Jan 2011
In reply to drmarten:
Tiso in the EICA Ratho is the nearest.
Which is not that near. Do a good job though....

Bruce
 Drew_boy 04 Jan 2011
In reply to drmarten:

Do it yourself! It only takes a couple of minutes, as long as theyre not too blunt.

Get down to your local DIY retailer and buy a flat swiss file. Make sure you only sharpen the leading edge of the teeth. Put the file between 2 opposite teeth and apply even pressure on both sides and file until sharp. I'll try to post a photo. I've just done mine today, the file will cost you about £4-£6, over a season you'll save a fortune.
 JY - changed 04 Jan 2011
In reply to Drew_boy:

I've just done the same thing with mine, but I'm amazed how blunt they have become. I've got a mix of turbos and 360's and both seem to be suffering somewhat.

I've actually just replaced a lost express screw and was quite shocked how blunt my existing screws have become. I thought I'd done a pretty good job sharpening them them until I compared them to my new screw.

My existing screws are also now much harder to place than they used to be, regardless of having had them sharpened by an ice screw shapening service and also doing it myself.

Which leads me to the question of How many seasons should an ice screw last which average usage? Some of my existing ones are now probably on there 10th+ season. (some 13th I think). Should they be replaced?
 TobyA 04 Jan 2011
In reply to Jonathan Yates: Mine are from the late 90s and they get used every winter weekend. I sharpen them whenever they touch rock which is relatively often! Once sharpened they seem to work as well as friends' brand new ones ones, or at least 90% as well. They are getting shorter though due to sharpening.
 smithaldo 05 Jan 2011
In reply to Drew_boy: that will work to a degree but isnt the best way to do it. check the black diamond website or cold thistle for the video on how to get them factory sharp. you need two or three different types of file IIRC.
drmarten 05 Jan 2011
In reply to all
Thanks for replies, will look at doing them myself. I can't do any worse than the mess I made sharpening my picks last winter, hopefully.
 TobyA 05 Jan 2011
In reply to smithaldo:
> you need two or three different types of file IIRC.

You really don't need three in my experience. Have been sharpening mine for years now just with one file. No problems, works a treat. http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2007/02/ice-screw-sharpening.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...