/ The Climbing Hangar. What you rekon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gaffalynch - on 08 Jan 2011
Went to that new centre in Liverpool for open and liked what I seen, the staff are caring and the climbing was good did 4 hrs in there (had a Red beanie on) if you see me. And enjoyed it all, the place looks like it is going to just get bigger and bigger. What did everyone else think of the place.

P.S Cost wasn't bad at 7 worth the price.
And before you ask I don't work,own or know the owners so this is to just see if others enjoyed the place like I did.

Downfall, a weekday when people in the area are working that place will be hard to park at.
Mike Nolan - on 08 Jan 2011
In reply to Thomaslynch: Sorry, it costs 7 to get in?!

No wonder I couldn't find the price on the internet! I thought Awesome Walls was extortionate but that's ridiculous!
In reply to Mike Nolan: That isn't bad for a day climbing.
MHutch - on 08 Jan 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:

As a guide, both Climbing Depot and City Bloc are 7.50 for non-member adults at the weekends, so you'll find that's about par for this kind of new centre.
goldmember - on 08 Jan 2011
In reply to Thomaslynch: 7 to get in! Thats so steep its overhanging
In reply to Thomaslynch: For a bouldering wall, where they do not need to buy ropes, quickdraws, harnesses for people coming along etc, I think it's pretty excessive and I've never understood how walls can justify charging boulderers so much! Granted, they do need to buy expensive blue mats but it seems on the expensive side to me.

Anyway, I'll stop complaining till I've been there, hopefully next week. It does look pretty good and the guys down there should be proud of what they've done!
MHutch - on 08 Jan 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:

I would have thought the additional costs involved in matting out large areas alone would far outweigh the additional costs at lead walls you mention.
In reply to Mike Nolan: True to every word. I like the place tho I think you will enjoy it. TBH.
In reply to MHutch: Perhaps, but surely mats don't need to be replaced as often as the gear I mention?
charlieg0pzo - on 08 Jan 2011
For an extra pound you can do proper climbing as well as bouldering at Awesome Walls and the bouldering at AW has more variety, but I do like the football machine.
goldmember - on 08 Jan 2011
In reply to charlieg0pzo:
> For an extra pound you can do proper climbing

pulls out a chair and sits down ...
Andy Cairns on 08 Jan 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:
> (In reply to Thomaslynch) Sorry, it costs 7 to get in?!
>
> No wonder I couldn't find the price on the internet! I thought Awesome Walls was extortionate but that's ridiculous!

Members prices for weekends? MCC - 7.50, Awesome - 8.00, North West Face - 7.00, Climbing Works - 7.00, Rock Over 6.90.

Yeah, this new place is totally off the scale!

There don't seem to be any prices on their website yet - any info on off-peak or multivisit pass prices yet?

Cheers
Andy
In reply to Andy Cairns: 3 of those offer more than bouldering. Bouldering specific centres are over priced. You've pretty much proved my point. I wasn't really speaking relative to other centres.
MHutch - on 08 Jan 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Your original post suggests you think all climbing centres are over-priced...

I guess it comes down to the market - there seem to be plenty of people going through the doors, so the pricing may well not be outrageous to the climbing community in general.
In reply to MHutch: My original post suggests I think Awesome Walls is over-priced. Which is is, compared to MCC and Warrington.

MHutch - on 08 Jan 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Well, they are slightly less, it's true.

I guess, without a detailed look at the relative costs of staffing, fitting out and premises between the various lead walls and bouldering only walls, it's hard to work out whether a bouldering wall is making more cash out of the punters than a lead wall per visit. My suspicion is they aren't.

At the end of the day, at both a lead wall and a bouldering wall, I'll go for a couple of hours, get pumped stupid, get a similar training value, and have an equal amount of fun, so I guess I'm prepared to pay a similar amount for that leisure activity.
Andy Cairns on 08 Jan 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:
> (In reply to Andy Cairns) 3 of those offer more than bouldering. Bouldering specific centres are over priced.

Yes, but all the specific bouldering centres I've been to (not the Hangar yet, obviously) have far more bouldering than any of the centres which offer roped climbing as well. The Works currently has 11 circuits of 30+ problems, as well as one-offs, the comp wall, the system boards and training areas - if you can't spend upwards of 4 hours there (about the same time I'd spend on a roped session), get completely wrecked, and feel you've had value for your 7 quid, I'd suggest it's hardly their fault.

Cheers
Andy
banned profile 74 on 09 Jan 2011 - 87.113.171.166 whois?
In reply to Mike Nolan: jeez you don't half whine about things.7 on a weekend is a similar price to other walls,if you don't like it then don't go!!
I know one of the guys behind this wall but haven't been yet as it's a bit out of the way for me but hoping to get up there and same it.heard good feedback from a mate who went pre opening
Lunar25 - on 09 Jan 2011
In reply to Thomaslynch: are there any comments about the actual wall itself, re problems etc apart from the original poster? I can't believe there is such fuss over 7 quid! I'm heading there today. Was trying to see opening times but couldn't find any...
Gaffalynch - on 09 Jan 2011
In reply to Fantasian: hi mate, don't read the Crap above he doesn't have a clue. Think the times where 12am - 8pm not to sure to. It's a goof place but another downfall was that some of the holds already where turning and I had to keep getting a lad to fix them. It's my new playground now I enjoyed it, let me know what U think...
andy farnell - on 09 Jan 2011
In reply to Fantasian: The problems are well set and very varied, from balancy slabs to burly steeper stuff, with some technical horrors thrown in for good measure. Each circuit seems to have a couple of sandbags to make yoo try extra hard. Didn't try the coffee (but it smelt good). The Atmosphere was great, chilled yet psyched.

Andy F
surfingreef - on 10 Jan 2011
In reply to Thomaslynch: I would have to agree its little expensive, 1 month pass costing 50, on average a gym membership cost 35 a month and thats with a pool and sauna. You would think if the price was around 5 more people would go and more often. The climbing was good thou and staff very helpful
lincoln.3 on 11 Jan 2011
In reply to Thomaslynch: 7 is not expensive for a night out!! The atmosphere of the place is really good. Friendly staff. Great place.

And I also dont know the owners or anyone who works there....
Lord_ash2000 - on 12 Jan 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan: I've not been to this wall yet but it does look good. I think 7 is not over the top for a large high end bouldering complex. I've been to walls that have a 10th of the climbing space that are still 5-6 in. And like people say, if the place is busy then clearly they are not charging to much, maybe you are a cheap skate :)
Gaffalynch - on 12 Jan 2011
In reply to lincoln.3: You are right been twice now and going tomorrow I love the place.
tototv - on 12 Jan 2011
In reply to Thomaslynch:

its not fully open and its offers more than any other place ive been to in terms of floor space and boulder problems. Its only compition is maybe awsome walls stoke but i believe there new plan is gonna ruin it and upset regular customers?

the climbing hanger is a top rate forcilitie and has cornered the market for bouldering in liverpool!
TullyLongDong on 15 Jan 2011 - 5ad62e77.bb.sky.com
In reply to Thomaslynch: You the sexy boy in the red beanie then? Wondered who that was! You looked just like spider-man yet more sleek and elegant.. Oh I would ;) xx
j.sprackling - on 17 Jan 2011
I went to the climbing hangar on saturday and was very impressed. Firstly the guys running it are really enthusiastic and helpful which is always a bonus. The routes were excelent with a massive variety in styles and abilities. The grades are a bit all over the place but as they said on their website, they were more interested in opening on time than getting the grading spot on. Either way the routes were great.

I personally prefered the hangar to awesome walls in stoke, it seemed as though the routes had been really thought out with some imagination. Time will tell whether they continue to put up more great routes.

I'll definatly be going again next time i'm in the area.

Jon S
mrtribaltribal - on 17 Jan 2011
In reply to surfingreef: The price viariation between climbing centres and gyms are simply down to the fact that gyms have much more compertition and only half the insurance costs.
In reply to Mike Nolan:
> (In reply to Andy Cairns) 3 of those offer more than bouldering. Bouldering specific centres are over priced. You've pretty much proved my point. I wasn't really speaking relative to other centres.

By the end of march i assure you another room is opening that is bigger than the main room now, fully equiped with training boards, comp wall and cave!!!! Will you feel like your getting your moneys worth then?
ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to Thomaslynch: The new centre is a long time overdue to many boulderer in this area, with special guest setters on a regular basis and over 250 problems and to sink your teeth into who needs more.....
the staff are great and helpfull. The coffie, tea and hot chocolate is great, plus a special guest cake of the month every month.... mmmmm!!

this place has my vote every time, in fact i may even redirect my mail.
andy farnell - on 17 Jan 2011
In reply to mrtribaltribal: Not to mention you helped build it... ;)

Andy F
Fluvial - on 18 Jan 2011
In reply to Thomaslynch:
Was there on Saturday - doing well I was the 415 member, they were great with the kids and the holds are excellent with lots to do and a pretty interesting traverse come climb that can be a lot of fun.
Worth a visit. Stage 2 should I was told be finished by the end of this week.
At the moment not as big as you would expect. Still getsa the thumbs up from me (Coffee wasn't as good as Stockport Awesome) however it is still just getting going.
Gaffalynch - on 24 Jan 2011
In reply to fozmeister: I think I seen you there was you with 3 young ones ??? I was there early and it was just myself a mate and maybe you there ???
Picky on 15 Feb 2011 - cpc5-live23-2-0-cust215.know.cable.virginmedia.com
Hi all.

In response to the original question...

I was extreamly impressed!!! Would strongly recommend it to anyone & everyone, beginner to experienced. I've climbed at centres all over the country (including the bouldering walls at Sheffield & Bristol) and think the layout and shape of the Hanger is amongst the best.

Once they get themselves settled and Phase 2 is complete, I'm sure there will be more problems and variety than you can shake a stick at! Hopefully it wont be all overhanging either - always dissapointing when centres cave in to the thuggy, powerful moves and neglect technical balancy problems.

Unfortunately the price is the price. Given I only climb indoor once - twice a week between September - May, I'm not sure the deals are that beneficial to me; but its better than nothing!

Will be heading there again on Friday
Gaffalynch - on 15 Feb 2011
In reply to Picky: Thanks for the post, I have been going a lot now and starting to get to know the staff so I will pass the informationon to them when i see them.
Richard Hession on 16 Feb 2011
In reply to Red-Beanie:

Good stuff. It's a great center and the new yellow circuit is excellent.

p.s. Can I please request that you refrain from writing 'ukc red beanie' in chalk on the bouldering walls down the road though as its tricky to scrub out. Nice one.
Gaffalynch - on 16 Feb 2011
In reply to Richard Hession: You seen that too, that was a friend who I have had a strong word with don't you worry about that. I wasn't very happy when I found out he was doing it too. I was meeting up with him and when I got there I seen them all Funny for him Unsettlling for me.. Was at the "other Place" today in fact all day today.
Yellow are to hard for me but getting there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.