UKC

Head Torch advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlisonSmiles 10 Jan 2011
Any thoughts or links to reviews of head torches to carry in my hill walking day sack? I am not anticipating night walking, so it's only a just in case should something go wrong and find myself in the hills after dusk. I carry a torch at the bottom of the day sack but think it's time I upgraded. Important to me (I think) are longevity of battery life, as well as the range of the beam. Lightweight not important, I probably already carry too much junk so no point trying to save a few grams!
 ebygomm 10 Jan 2011
In reply to AlisonSmiles: alpkit gamma
 Tall Clare 10 Jan 2011
In reply to ebygomm:

agreed.
 Taurig 10 Jan 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I second that motion.
 Dan Arkle 10 Jan 2011
I've gone for a Petzl XP2 as its the brightest of the integrated unit models.
I've decided that for an occaisional use torch I don't want the extra weight, bulk, and vunerability (the wires can fail) of a batteries on the back torch.

Its 60 lumens to the Gamma's 51, but just under £40 which is way more expensive, ouch.
oodledoodle 10 Jan 2011
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

I use one of the little petzl zipka ones with the wire headband which has been great for me at night but admittedly this has been with some lucky assistance from the moon. i'm pretty sure it would be great without the help though, and as a lightweight emergency lamp i would give it a thumbs up. its also really useful as it can be attached to your wrist and used as a hands-free torch.

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/tikka-zipka-series/zipka-plus
OP AlisonSmiles 10 Jan 2011

Thank you all - everything I'd looked at before was frustrating as petzels were the only option which seemed to be talked about. The alpkit one looks like just the thing and cheap with it!
 Dave80 10 Jan 2011
In reply to AlisonSmiles: The Alpkit one is good although I wouldn't want to use it for full on night nav where a very bright focusable lamp is useful. For what you're speaking about though, the Alpkit torch or the likes of the Petzel Zipka would do the trick nicely.
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2011
Doesn't quite fit your bill (in that its *very* small and light but battery life may not be so good), but Petzl E+lite might be worth a look.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/product-reviews/petzl-elite-tested/4197.html
 Mita 10 Jan 2011

I think you would look cool in this:

http://www.glow.co.uk/lego-headlamp.html

:0)
m0unt41n 10 Jan 2011
In reply to AlisonSmiles: Black Diamond Spot - small but very bright, nice and simple, press for wide, press for off, press for spot, press for off etc etc If you use Energizer Lithium AAA they last a lot longer and work when its very very cold.
 stouffer 10 Jan 2011
In reply to Mita: Ha ha, Lego one in action, brilliant: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geek-kids/3-7-years/c75a/action/

I think there's the reason the Petzl ones get mentioned a lot - they are really, really good.
 Mita 10 Jan 2011
In reply to stouffer: I've got one, his name is Lightfoot... :0)
 stouffer 10 Jan 2011
In reply to Mita: Dear me! I know someone who is definitely getting one for his birthday though.

i used to have the gamma as my light in my pack for late finishes etc.

that is until i was on kinder last winter. set off from the car at 6pm to climb the downfall. so far along we deceided to check the map so out comes the red light on the gamma as it was a decent moon.

we get to the downfall and i try to turn on the white light to see to gear up and climb with (the mist had set in a bit now) no light, tried the green light same problem, tried the red light and it worked. then tried the main beam white lights and no light.

climbing ice in a red light is not great!

i've now got the petzl tikka 2. its a good light and will last all night.
In reply to Northern Climber: forgot to mention i got the alpkit one changed as it wasnt just the cold that had affected it. i now use the gamma for camping only purposes!
> I am not anticipating night walking, so it's only a just in case should something go wrong and find myself in the hills after dusk.

Something to think about maybe: I do quite a lot of work with cavers wanting to get into instruction. Any caver will tell you a back up (possibly two) to the main is a given on a trip. Many come along with what could be considered inadequate second or third lights. The test is to get out of whatever cave you're in with just a back up. Many change their mind as to what is adequate.

Your logic of a back up isn't flawed, but given the circumstances where the need for the back up might be needed, a cheap and cheerful might not cut it.

OP AlisonSmiles 10 Jan 2011
In reply to Northern Climber:

Hmm, now taking account of the cold affecting the head torch. I had a compass given to me as a gift and it plain refused to work in cold temperatures so I have had some learning in this area!
 stouffer 10 Jan 2011
In reply to AlisonSmiles: I reckon the reasons given above are enough to justify spending £40 on an XP2. Takes up a tiny amount of space in your rucksack yet is comfortable, usable and reliable when you really need it.
 ebygomm 10 Jan 2011

My gamma has been fine as an extra light on my bike commute to work and also fine in Scotland the other New Year so no probs around -10 C

I think you're safer with two gammas then one petzl if you want to be extra sure.
 cas smerdon 10 Jan 2011
Got a Go Outdoor wind up one for under £5 to keep in pack for emergencies. It may not be as bright as dearer models but at least it won't have a flat battery when you need it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...