UKC

Avon - New quarry now fenced off?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mountain_jay 11 Jan 2011
I was driving down through Avon Gorge earlier this week and was surprised to see a big new fence surrounding New Quarry.

I couldn't stop to investigate but it looked very much like access would be impossible. Anyone actually been and had a look?

I know New Quarry isn't exactly bristling with popular and classic climbs. But it was nice to play around on the traverse. Particularly in the summer evening sun.
 sealong2 11 Jan 2011
In reply to mountain_jay: I saw the fence too amd whilst I didn't stop either I thought there was a turnstile at one end!
 TDembrey 11 Jan 2011
In reply to mountain_jay:

They are putting some conservation goats in the valley. Access should be unaffected, kissing gates at access points.
 avonclimber 11 Jan 2011
In reply to TDembrey:

Yes, this is right. Bristol council are introducing a number of goats and this will be part of their area. Access for climbing is unaffected.

- Jerzy
In reply to mountain_jay:

I was down Sunday and there is a gate for access, plus they have cleared a lot of vegetation. But this bit of fence seemed to be overkill as it only encloses the bottom of the crag - I know goats are good climbers but honestly they would have to be reversing some pretty hard grades to access that area.
 avonclimber 29 Jan 2011
In reply to O. C. Curmudgeon:

In case...just in case...a goat had been training really hard and downclimbed, or jumped or fell off the top, and survived, the fence is there to stop it from wandering onto the Portway.

They didn't want to put the fence along the top of the cliff. It's less visually intrusive this way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...