UKC

What do you young'uns think of old music

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 13 Jan 2011
Well I grew up with the 60's, but later embraced hard rock, punk and new wave and still appreciated Sinatra and 50's pop music. In fact I think I saw something in most types of music (until rap came along).
I wonder what you young guys think of stuff like 'Lets Face THe Music and Dance' or 'I get No Kick out of Cocaine', (or even ABBA), do you still see it as decent pop music. I guess the Beatles, Stones and Who are still rated but I wondered what young peoples thoughts are about earlier, say pre Presley stuff? Does anybody ever listen to it , or worse, dance to it?
 Tall Clare 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

I have random bits of doo wop on my iPod, if that's the sort of thing you're thinking of.
OP Al Evans 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Tall Clare: Well thats quite broad minded
 Phippsy 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans: It really doesn't have any effect on me, neither posative or negative, so no I don't listen to that era. but maybe I havn't heard the best.

Maybe younger people may not listen because they can't relate to it.
 Fidmark 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans: I'm doing a course in jazz so I listen to pre 1930s stuff sometimes! I can get into any type of music, as long as it tickles my eardrums in the right way. (This doesn't include ABBA) Sinatra is cool. I actually found a punk band yesterday that were said to be active before the stooges! youtube.com/watch?v=OwehxN2ipCU&

Can you old'uns get into young music!? All hip hop isnt that bad.
 toad 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans: A couple of years ago I spent a field trip with 18 year olds who were obsessed with Jonny Cash. If I heard ring of fire played through a tinny phone once, I heard it a hundred times.

At the risk of sounding like a premature old fart, the young folk do music differently these days. I know a lot of students who don't have a CD player anymore, never mind a gramophone.
 terryturbojr 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

At 33 not sure I'm a young un but I'm a fan of the old stuff along with the new. More than happy to go to a indie gig or a hip-hop night but will be having a swing band rather than something modern at my wedding and one of my favourite albums is an Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong one.
 terryturbojr 13 Jan 2011
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Al Evans) A couple of years ago I spent a field trip with 18 year olds who were obsessed with Jonny Cash. If I heard ring of fire played through a tinny phone once, I heard it a hundred times.
>
> At the risk of sounding like a premature old fart, the young folk do music differently these days. I know a lot of students who don't have a CD player anymore, never mind a gramophone.

I think access to music nowadays is definitely very different, especially if one doesn't care for copyright. You can hear a Johnny Cash cover of Hurt and like it and within an hour have his entire back catalogue on your iPod, before you know it you're listening to his live recordings from San Quentin.
 Reach>Talent 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
I thought this was going to be a thread on OLD music, not this new fangled 60's stuff

I'll listen to just about everything having grown up with my parents listening to blues, metal, classical, folk music, Gregorian chant and god knows what else. I'm not sure if the combination of Holst, Black Sabbath, Ravi Shankar and Ewan Maccoll in the space of an afternoon did anything for my ability to construct a mix tape though!
OP Al Evans 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Fidmark:
> (In reply to Al Evans) I'm doing a course in jazz so I listen to pre 1930s stuff sometimes! I can get into any type of music, as long as it tickles my eardrums in the right way. (This doesn't include ABBA) Sinatra is cool. I actually found a punk band yesterday that were said to be active before the stooges! youtube.com/watch?v=OwehxN2ipCU&
>
> Can you old'uns get into young music!? All hip hop isnt that bad.

Well I have always moved on with music trends (apart from rap), but I would question your evaluation of ABBA, they were the greatest pure pop group ever, certainly the greatest none home speaking English group.
Enough to say Bono of U2 paid tribute to them and asked Benny to appear live with him, which he did, on their tribute show.
 Mike Peacock 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans: I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a big fan of digital music. Give me a CD any day, with artwork and a full album of music rather than a 3 minute single download.

As for old music, I love the very old blues stuff.
 tony 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Phippsy:
>
> Maybe younger people may not listen because they can't relate to it.

I'm not sure being able to relate to it has to be an impediment to listening. I don't think I can relate to whatever it was that fed into 1960s Stax and Motown, but that doesn't stop me enjoying it.

I think one of the problems now is knowing where to start, although I do agree with other posters that it's easier now with downloads than it used to be. It does seem to me (at the age of 51, I suspect I'm an old fart in this context) that there's a good deal more fragmentation between genres, and more labelling of genres and sub-genres than there used to be. Once upon a time there was pop (anything released on singles), rock (either hard or prog), or soul (anything black). It was easy to know where you were. I wouldn't have a clue where to start with new bands today (where new bands could be anything formed in the past 10 years).
OP Al Evans 13 Jan 2011
In reply to terryturbojr:
> (In reply to toad)
> [...]
>
> I think access to music nowadays is definitely very different, especially if one doesn't care for copyright. You can hear a Johnny Cash cover of Hurt and like it and within an hour have his entire back catalogue on your iPod, before you know it you're listening to his live recordings from San Quentin.

Thats actually a really interesting point, access to different styles of pop music through the ages was much more difficult up to the present time.
 tony 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Mike Peacock:
> (In reply to Al Evans) I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a big fan of digital music. Give me a CD any day, with artwork and a full album of music rather than a 3 minute single download.
>

CDs? Pah, new-fangled digital stuff! You want good old vinyl! Proper cover artwork and all!
 Blue Straggler 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

I have a Leadbelly album and a Charley Patton album, and a collection of 1930s Louisana Cajun music. All are nigh-on unlistenable! But I like a bit of Jelly Roll Morton and Scott Joplin, and 30s music-hall stuff, and my Polish-American Dance Music 1927-1933 LP.
My list of "best songs ever" will likely include works from every decade from the 1920s to the 2000s.
Then there's the "classical" music, that's quite old
 Mike Peacock 13 Jan 2011
In reply to tony: You're right. I do want vinyl! I just haven't got round to buying a player or records due to space and money. But ideally, one day that's what I'll have.
OP Al Evans 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler: Yeh, but Blue, those are classics , its like comparing pop to Bartok, I was specifically asking about the ranges of pop music rather than classic stuff
 Siward 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Mike Peacock: But CDs are digital music! Now how many still have a regularly used turntable?
 Tony the Blade 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

My phone (which I use as an mp3 player) currently has albums by:

Jesus and Mary Chain
Soundgarden
Taken By Trees
Newton Faulkner
Heaven 17
Handel (Messiah)
Human League
Suzi Quatro
and a single by Yolanda Be Cool

How's that for eclectic tastes?
 Phippsy 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Siward: I like that good tune, pretty old I think 'Man hits tree with smaller tree' by Ug.

can only listen to it live tho
OP Al Evans 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: I can only remember hearing of 5 of them, one of whom I have met
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade) I can only remember hearing of 5 of them, one of whom I have met

Suzi?
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) Yeh, but Blue, those are classics , its like comparing pop to Bartok, I was specifically asking about the ranges of pop music rather than classic stuff

Eh? I only mentioned classical music right at the end of my post.
OP Al Evans 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: You guessed
In reply to Tony the Blade:
Oh one of my friends did all the piano and some backing vocals on the first Taken by Trees album.
I've never heard it though! D'oh
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade) You guessed

I guess you didn't snog her, as you have not yet mentioned it.
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The album I have is East of Eden, and I have to say, it's quite something.
In reply to Al Evans:

I'm singing backing vocals for Hazel O'Connor on her forthcoming England tour.

Ah that is the second one, no Straggler associates on that one
OP Al Evans 13 Jan 2011
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> I guess you didn't snog her, as you have not yet mentioned it.

I should be so lucky, sorry wrong bird
 terryturbojr 13 Jan 2011
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
> Oh one of my friends did all the piano and some backing vocals on the first Taken by Trees album.
> I've never heard it though! D'oh

It's a good album.
 Tom Last 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Didn't know you were a Ewan MacColl fan Mike!

Al Evans. The most played on my iTunes are Steeleye Span and Ewan MacColl, Stornoway and The National, the last two albums having been released last year; so it's fair to say a fair spread of ages of music. Abba and Frank Sinatra though I cannot abide.

My current favorite website, great for working tunes out on guitar!

http://contemplator.com/folk.html
 terryturbojr 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to terryturbojr)
> [...]
>
> Thats actually a really interesting point, access to different styles of pop music through the ages was much more difficult up to the present time.

Totally. Even 5 years ago if you wanted to listen to something you either bought it or had to search around until you found a mate with a copy.

Now everything is pretty much instantly available.

I saw a torrent recently that had all 48 of Bob Dylan's albums in. Click the link and it's yours in a few of hours.
 Nick1812P 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

I'm 17 and I listen to the Who, Beatles, Doors, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, Police and I've even listened to ABBA on occasion.
Oh and obviously people like Queen and Bob Marley.

and I listen to modern indie-type music as well as Eminem's earlier stuff, bit of Nirvana metallica R.A.T.M. and classics like Dean Martin-Sway, and Ben E. King-Stand By Me

But I've never danced to the earlier stuff.

Nick
In reply to Nick Priestley:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> I'm 17 and I listen to the Who, Beatles, Doors, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, Police and I've even listened to ABBA on occasion.
> Oh and obviously people like Queen and Bob Marley.
>
> and I listen to modern indie-type music as well [...] R.A.T.M.

Reverend and the Makers are great.
In reply to Al Evans:

As an aside, I made 3 tapes to take on my last holiday (Sept 2010) and listen to on a personal stereo cassette player. No mp3s. It was ace!
In reply to Al Evans: I really can't be doing with so called 'easy listening' music, which to me is anything but; it was of its time and that time is now very long gone. And I don't believe that Frank Sinatra is a very good singer either.

FWIW, the oldest music in my collection was written in the 14th century, so no arguing that I can't appreciate music of previous generations please. And I quite like Glenn Miller's 'In the mood', though admittedly I do prefer the version done by chickens.

T.
In reply to thread

My music's older than your music
 daveyw 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

Some new bands are taking some inspiration from 'older music' I'm sure this was originally 'dream a little dream of me' - 50's??? Proving that no matter how old something is, if it's quality it will always have an audience?

youtube.com/watch?v=_aLpVcL3ALw&
 Andy Moles 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

I like quite a lot of old music, though the only pre-60s stuff I have is a bit of classical and jazz.

Most of my favourite music is relatively new - whether that's because awareness of its newness gives it an inherent freshness and relevance, or because production techniques have advanced, or because it's learned from and improved on what came before, or because I'm susceptible to what's cool, I don't know.

I think if you're into popular music though, a lot of 60s stuff is still essential. Apart from being good in its own right, it puts newer stuff in context.
 Evilllamas 13 Jan 2011
I'm probably one of the youngest on this forum... #
so here's my humble opinion;

Most of my favorite music is actually from the 70s- I like allot of metal, but not the modern `metal` which constitutes as sine some Goths who cant sing screaming down a microphone while trying to be `dark`.
I'm also fond of daft punk though...

Though I seem to be one of the few people in the world who cant stand the beetles or the who...
loopyone 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

To quote some of my students: Pink Floyd are sh*t, U2 are Sh*t, never heard of the Smashing Pumpkins, the stones are cr*p and you don't want to know what they say about the early stuff you are talking about, its a crying shame. I do try to educate them but they just want it off and want beyonce or whatever it is the kids are listening to instead!
 Tom Last 13 Jan 2011
In reply to tatty112:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> U2 are Sh*t,

To be fair though, they're right on the mark there
 Ztephan 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

I like old soul, but I hate classic rock ala Jimi Hendrix and Dylan and the likes.

Why do you wonder?
 Keendan 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

I'm 19, and was born seven decades too late
I love Ella Fitzgerald's "I get a kick out of you".
Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Kid Ory, Jack Teagarden and Louis Armstrong are all people I tried to imitate when I learnt the trombone.

Since then Miles Davis, J.J.JOhnson and Dave Bubeck have grown on me - seems I am slowly catching up with the times, so when I am old, maybe I'll be into Lady Gaga and Professor Green...
 Keendan 13 Jan 2011
In reply to terryturbojr:
one of my favourite albums is an Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong one.

"Can't we be friends"
"Blueberry Hill"
"Cheek to cheek"

I'm getting semtimental now
 Jackwd 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans: Dave Brubeck Quartet, BB King, Johnny Cash always a good bet when i'm in the mood! Also love 80s pop, mind you, can't stand 70s disco apart from Beegees!
In reply to Daniel Heath:

One of the greatest versions of Blueberry Hill, in 1957:

youtube.com/watch?v=d4zF3M_Y24E&
Yrmenlaf 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

And can I commend Sister Rosetta Tharpe (and the programme on BBC4 tomorrow night).

I swear that floral print dresses are the new denim and leather.

Y
 efrance24234 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans: its poo! sorry
 Keendan 14 Jan 2011
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Thanks. It think the piano sounds a bit silly by the end though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xy5JsrQg_Y&feature=fvw
The trombone/clarinet have far more imagination!
 Toby S 14 Jan 2011
> In reply to thread
>
> My music's older than your music

yeah but I was in to it for ages before you'd even heard of it :-p
andyandy1 14 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

the King, and The Doors were way before my time, but I listen to them more than more modern stuff.
 climber123 22 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans: What young'uns think of old music is not important ...hrmmm
 Clarence 22 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

I don't really like music much older than the 70s and I hate pop, soul, motown, jazz, skiffle, blues, ballads and anything with the word "baby" that doesn't go into graphic detail into how it was eaten by demons.

I really, really hate the Beatles to the point of ranting...
 Liam M 22 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans: I've got a friend who takes an interest in, and is quite good at, delving through musical histories to trace earlier influences. Couple this with his impressive record collection and he's introduced me to some brilliant pre 1930s music, including some rather interesting skiffle, blues and early country.

Can't say I've ever thought much of the particular cases you cite though - I find the whole Rat Pack type stuff dreary and self important, and Abba I consider a highly overrated outfit. I think there has been much better pure pop produced.

David Bulley 22 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
Jimi Hendrix all the way, also The Who, and AC/DC. But I listen to new stuff as well like Pendulum and Arctic Monkeys. Also Dubstep! Personal preference but older music is better, I would much rather go and see AC/DC (with Bon Scott) or Hendrix than any of my "new" style music.
In reply to Al Evans:

Have you listened to Richard Hawley? He is a genius from your neck of the woods, Shefield.
Great songs/albums EG Lady's Bridge/Coles Corner/Truelove's Gutter.
They are superbly crafted and seem to cross the divide of being modern yet nostalgic.
DEvans 23 Jan 2011
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> My phone (which I use as an mp3 player) currently has albums by:
>
> Jesus and Mary Chain
> Soundgarden
> Taken By Trees
> Newton Faulkner
> Heaven 17
> Handel (Messiah)
> Human League
> Suzi Quatro
> and a single by Yolanda Be Cool
>
> How's that for eclectic tastes?

i would say that that is the least eclectic i've ever seen.

youv'e got handal and then loads of rubbish pop music.
thats two sorts of music.

i don't know about newton faulkner but my guess is its not great.

dan

In reply to Al Evans:

I just bought a Leadbelly CD - always been a great fan of American roots music.

In the middle of reading Keef Richards autobiography at the moment and he is most definitely someone I'd want to have at my fantasy dinner party! Along with Johnny Cash who is probably my all time fave.

La Sham
 rednip120372 23 Jan 2011
I have ipod etc but still use my linn record player the most! Make listening to music an event!! In reply to Al Evans: o
ice.solo 23 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
pre-presley? anything pre-britney is fossilized!

not sure the stones, who, beatles are really still rated other than as post-war curiosities for guys in waistcoats with bald spots.
led zeppelin, black sabbath and hendrix fare a little better by attracting advertising.

pre-presley as in miles davis, robert johnson, charlie parker etc has evolutionary value.
whining country has a consistent and alarming following.

stravinsky, varese and schoenberg were more out there than any of them.

the only guy to defeat the ages is iggy pop and, yes, i will fight about it (till the coffee wears off at least)
 Tomber 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans: I've loved Jethro Tull and Van der Graaf Generator since I was about 16. I'm 23 now.
 James Malloch 24 Jan 2011
I've quite a broad range of genres and ages in my current playlist. A variety of stuff from the likes of Louis Armstrong and Bing Crosby to recent Sub Focus and A day to remember!

SInce I started university I've been into a lot more acoustic/folk type music. I also hate pop music, people singing (with modified voices) to backing done on a computer. Give me someone sitting with a guitar singing along any day!
 Blue Straggler 24 Jan 2011
In reply to DEvans:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
> [...]
>
> i would say that that is the least eclectic i've ever seen.
>
> youv'e got handal and then loads of rubbish pop music.
> thats two sorts of music.

Reminds of an acquaintance-by-proxy when I was uni, Charlie Bell (end).
"Charlie, what's your music collection like?"
"F-ing eclectic.. F-ING eclectic. You'll see Madonna filed next to Metallica and Mozart"
"Charlie, that's not eclectic, that's popular classical and two huge-selling American artists of the 1980s"

There is a group of us who can't use the word eclectic because of this
 Kemics 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

Im 23. Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever. Both statements are solid observable facts.

A few people in this thread seem to be knocking blues music.

Step 1: Throw your entire music collection in the bin
Step 2: Puncture ear drums

Blues is the foundation of just about all modern music, i would even go as far as to say the foundation of all modern art and culture.

Bulls Crack 24 Jan 2011
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to Mike Peacock)
> [...]
>
> CDs? Pah, new-fangled digital stuff! You want good old vinyl! Proper cover artwork and all!

Vinyl? Pah!

You want thefull works - fireworks in fact, orchestra and falling water

G F Handel

Blue Straggler 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Kemics:
>
>
> Blues is the foundation of just about all modern music, i would even go as far as to say the foundation of all modern art and culture.

Maybe....if "all modern art and culture" is defined by the contents page of Mojo magazine.

In reply to Al Evans: I know its not quite as old as the stuff you suggested, but i really enjoy Bruce Springsteen, and Bob Dylan. Still theres no artist who's beaten the boss in terms of sheer awesomeness.
> (In reply to DEvans)
> [...]
>
> Reminds of an acquaintance-by-proxy when I was uni, Charlie Bell (end).
> "Charlie, what's your music collection like?"
> "F-ing eclectic.. F-ING eclectic. You'll see Madonna filed next to Metallica and Mozart"
> "Charlie, that's not eclectic, that's popular classical and two huge-selling American artists of the 1980s"
>
> There is a group of us who can't use the word eclectic because of this

eclectic – adjective: selecting or choosing from various sources.

F*ckin' music snobs... ;-}
pasbury 25 Jan 2011
In reply to Kemics:

Ahh, the certainty of youth...
ice.solo 26 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

i gotta add too that the rat pack are great stuff. anyone who deems them easy listening just aint listening at all.

frank and dean were more punk than punk (except iggy, no one beats iggy) AND they had girlfriends plus links to genuine crime.

same era, different scene, but herb alpert was consistant sleazier than most california rappers.
again same era (ie lynching era), woody guthrie had bigger balls than any 'hardcore' band since - no one ever tried to string the diaposable heroes.

so yeah, some old shit has value still - tho the brit pop 60s scene in all its middle class wonder - was as much the foundation for am radio as anything meaningful.

except the kinks, they were cool.

and iggy.

did i mention iggy??
 Dauphin 27 Jan 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

Sorry dude, I hate to break this to you, he's flogging car insurance on British television. Maybe he's pumpin for jill or something but it makes me sad to see these cultural heroes crapping out like that.

Regards

D
 graeme jackson 27 Jan 2011
In reply to Siward:
> (In reply to Mike Peacock) But CDs are digital music! Now how many still have a regularly used turntable?

i do. Elite (townsend) Rock mk2 with excalibur arm and Dynavector 10x5 MC. Moon phono pre amp. Gets used loads more than my cd player.
ice.solo 27 Jan 2011
In reply to Dauphin:

i know that (its actually life insurance) and find it hilarious. thats the point - iggy crapped out in '78 or 9 when he sold the space between the songs on an album for advertising as well as time during some of his gigs.

none of the pseudo-ethical, non-commercial bullshit for iggy. hes got a self-destructive lifestyle to support.
In reply to ice.solo:
> i gotta add too that the rat pack are great stuff. anyone who deems them easy listening just aint listening at all.

Have to agree with that. Listening to such outdated rubbish just isn't easy at all...

T.
 The Ivanator 27 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans: I remember back in my days at Art College in the late 80's/early 90's discovering Jazz. I had a brief relationship with a glamourous older woman who sang Jazz in the local pubs and clubs, this old music for me came with a large dose of sexy mystique. At home we chilled to the sounds of Billy and Ella and it seemed like the best music on earth. I still appreciate it, along with many other genres ...it holds nostalgic value, but the magic of "Nice work if you can get it", Paris perfume and being involved with someone who seemed at the time so sophisticated will probably never be repeated, shame!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...