UKC

QuickDraw Lengths

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 14 Jan 2011
Hi,
I own 7 DMM 12cm prowire quickdraws which are used primarily for sport climbing. I am going to buy 5 more. Is it worth buying a few different lengths (e.g. 18 and 25cm) for out of place bolts? Or a different brand (e.g. WC Wildwire) so it is easy to tell the different lengths apart?

Thanks in advance,
BR
 mrjonathanr 14 Jan 2011
In reply to blackreaver:
It's up to you and what you prefer. I have longer quickdraws ~18cm. They're easier to clip, there's less drag.
OP Alpenglow 14 Jan 2011
So is it worth buying some longer ones for a bit of variety, or just sticking with 12cm?

Thanks,
BR
 mrjonathanr 14 Jan 2011
In reply to blackreaver:
Well again that's up to you and what you like to use. Me, I'd be buying some longer ones. Some clips are a stretch and some lines meander. Variety is good I think. The length of draw barely affects fall length: the difference between a 12cm draw and a 17cm draw is a 10cm increase in fall. that's 4 inches-it's nothing.
 James Oswald 14 Jan 2011
In reply to blackreaver:
If you're going to do trad then get a few long ones. If not then I don't see the merits of longer ones. Someone may well explain them though.
James
OP Alpenglow 15 Jan 2011
In reply to mrjonathanr: I think that I'll get a few more longer ones then, so I will have 8 12cm, 2 18cm and 2 25cm draws.

Thanks,
BR
In reply to blackreaver: I have 12 x 11cm draws, 2 x 18cm draws and 1 x 60cm sling trebled up. There are times when a bolt is under an overhang or off to one side to some degree or another so they can come in handy. All my quick draws for trad are 18cm or longer.

Al
 jkarran 15 Jan 2011
In reply to blackreaver:

I prefer longer quickdraws but short ones work just as well (and you can always link them if need be). Basically it doesn't matter, just go for the ones you like. Or get the cheaper ones + a couple of thin 60cm slings then you're sorted for all sorts of out of line clips and just-too-high bolts.

jk
 Phill Mitch 15 Jan 2011
In reply to jkarran: I tend to use longer ones to avoid drag on under roof bolts or slightly off line bolts.If you do some red pointing then some bolts can be hard to reach from the best holds so to put on a long q/d whilst dogging is a good plan to make the red point easier .I use a 60cm sling looped through 3 times to do as a short or long if needed.For trad I tend to use all long ones as runners are not often in line. Hope this helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...