UKC

indoor climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
camalotahoy 14 Jan 2011
if you only climb indoors, you're not a real climber. end of.
 EddInaBox 14 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:

Hasn't anybody told you that anyone who finishes a statement with the words ‘end of’ automatically loses the argument on the grounds that they are clearly a moron?
 Dominion 14 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:

> if you only climb indoors, you're not a real climber. end of.

If you post obvious trolls like this, you are not a real troll, you're merely a wannabe.
camalotahoy 14 Jan 2011
In reply to EddInaBox:

wahey we have an indoor climber
 Dominion 14 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:

> wahey we have an indoor climber

I think you'll find that most people on this site do some indoor climbing at some point or other, even if some of them- mistakenly - only seem to regard it as training rather than climbing.

There will be some who only climb outdoors on real rock (or snow and ice) but even some of them will top-rope stuff or inspect on abseil certain routes...

||-)
 Ensô 14 Jan 2011
In reply to Dominion:

i don't think its a mistake that a lot of climbers only see it as training
 Dominion 14 Jan 2011
In reply to mdbuffalo:

> i don't think its a mistake that a lot of climbers only see it as training

That's because their approach is wrong. They should see it as a challenge, and work out ways to make it more than just training. It it's just training, then you get bored of it, and cease to learn from it.
 Ensô 14 Jan 2011
In reply to Dominion:

true and a fair point, but i solve that by not going indoor at all i can't handle all the brightly coloured resin man, t'aint natural!
Panda_6 14 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:

Guess I'm not a real climber

brb, off to find a new 'real' sport...!
 Evilllamas 15 Jan 2011
define the verb climb for me then....
if I do said activity... I'm a climber...

Get back under your bridge...
In reply to Dominion: I have to disagree with you there, I get very little enjoyment out of going climbing indoors (as climbing) but I do enjoy training indoors. I don't think that is a wrong approach to take as indoor routes are just numbers (temporary ones at that), and my love of this sport is all to do with my love of the outdoors.
And ceasing to learn from training is utter rubbish unless you only do the same things over and over, in which case you will cease to learn no matter whether you apply that approach to training or your climbing.
 Kemics 15 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:

I think this sort of opinion only exists in world of the intrawebs.

It's not perfect or 'pure' climbing or whatever, but it's a lot better than nothing. Particularly when it's funking cold and miserable outside. Most use it as a balance to outdoors. But even if they dont, it doesn't matter.

However, if you met someone who was a keen indoor climber, excellent technique, etiquette and friendly. You wouldn't jump into correct him mid-sentence when talking to him about climbing to say "I mean, good for you old bean, but you're not REALLY a climber, are you?". Because if you did do that, you'd look like a massive p*nis.

I'd say what defines climbing for me more than anything, is community. It comes in teaching newbies, lending gear, constantly having you're life in your belayer's hands, helping others, clubs and meetings, etc etc much more than any pursuit i've been involved in, community is really what's at the base of climbing. I'd personally consider someone who thought indoor climber "wern't real climbers" less of a climber than someone who climbs only indoors.

Because they're not really much of a climber, they're just some miserable asshole alone on a piece of rock.

ashley1_scott 15 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:
I climb indoors all the time between october - march, and climb indoors the rest of the year for training and if I can't get out on rock. Am I not a real climber ?
Also if I climb here (http://www.luuux.com/design/world%E2%80%99s-tallest-climbing-wall-0?blog_id... am I an indoor climber or an outdoor climber
 Charlie_Zero 15 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:

Bollards!

Siderunner 15 Jan 2011
In reply to Kemics: well put.

To me "being a climber" is more of a state of mind than a function of what you climb. If you're a superior arrogant tw*t then it doesn't matter what rock, plastic, or ice you climb.

On the other hand if you maintain "beginner's mind" (are open-minded, always willing to learn, always up to be challenged) then you are a great climber. I saw a recent Prana video showing Sharma in a basic yoga class looking decidedly inexpert - but he was stoked to be learning - a perfect example.

"It's not what you climb, it's how you climb it." - Lynn Hill
 riddle 15 Jan 2011
In reply to Charlie_Zero: here here!
In reply to camalotahoy: Of course indoor climbers are real climbers, but they are not rock climbers.

Al
 Evilllamas 15 Jan 2011
things like that make you wonder why there isn't a hollowed out sky scraper in Tokyo or somewhere, which is just a giant indoor wall...

To dragons den it is!
 mikehike 15 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:

I only climb indoors.

"Climber" is only a Label

I think whats worse is people who obviously climb outdoors, who bring all their gear to the indoor wall, dented Sigg Bottles/Draws/Slings etc
As if to say "I do real climbing"

Should I be a member of UKC?
Should I own a rope?

Fact is if I climbed outside/inside on a 50:50 ratio I would only climb 4 times a year. But I climb every week plus a rare day outside.

I climb, im a climber, end of
 mikehike 15 Jan 2011
In reply to ashley1_scott:

I that a slack line on the top
 ashley1_scott 15 Jan 2011
In reply to mikehike:

There was a slack line at the top when the picture was taken, they said a load of nutters wanted one up there, so they said WHY NOT.
 mike123 15 Jan 2011
In reply to EddInaBox:
> (In reply to camalotahoy)
>
> Hasn't anybody told you that anyone who finishes a statement with the words ‘end of’ automatically loses the argument on the grounds that they are clearly a moron?

thanks for this. made me laugh out loud and not bother reading anything else.

DaveHK 16 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:

vimeo.com/13213264 Saw this on another post and it seems a valid response to this one.
 birdie num num 16 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:
I think that The Internet...the most exciting, mysterious and phenomenal form of communication to date. It allows people to enter a world where they can explore far off places they would not dare to venture into in the tangible world. It gives people the opportunity to communicate with other human beings from all over the world using nothing but a keyboard. It is an information highway, a place where research can be gathered on any topic capable of entering into the imagination.

My exposure to the world of Cyberspace began six years ago when I entered college at California State University, Chico. I obtained a school-based e-mail account. In addition to writing to friends at other colleges, I was able to chat with other people on campus using a "talk" command. Throughout my two-year experience at Chico, I never ventured far out of the school-based e-mail system and never once went surfing on the "net."

It wasn’t until I transferred to California State University, Northridge that I began my exploration of the Internet. Since I was commuting from home where I had a computer with no modem, it was at the school library where I did my e-mail. It was on these library computers that I became familiar with the Internet. I was now exposed to a whole new aspect of being online. I began using the Internet to research topics for both papers and recreation. In fact, when I moved back home and started going to CSUN, I became very involved in swing dancing. I wanted to know the "where, when and how" of the swing dancing scene in Los Angeles. The Internet became my source of information. I became part of an online community of swing dancers. I joined a forum where people gathered to post announcements and talk about nothing more than swing dancing. The Internet provided me the opportunity to get hooked into the dancing community via an online community.

After the first couple of years at CSUN, upon my graduation in Deaf Studies, I obtained a personal computer with a modem and signed up for America Online. I was now able to have both e-mail and access to the Internet from the comfort of my own home. And now, for the last two years, I have been using this AOL account almost exclusively for e-mail. I never use the Internet unless absolutely necessary and find myself getting impatient and agitated when I can’t find what I am looking for or when I come to a screen saying "Page Not Found."

I am disinterested in being online and, therefore, lack the knowledge that comes along with being in the ever-changing world of the Internet. I am pretty clueless about browsers, downloads, etc. The only things I do know how to do are search topics anywhere it says, "Search" with a box, click on homepages and send instant messages to my friends. I’ve lacked the energy and interest to venture farther into the Internet. As a result, I feel ignorant about the myriad of things it has to offer.

In this I-Search paper, I am preparing to go into Cyberspace and do research on UFO’s. It is my intent to not only gather as much factual information about this topic using the Internet but to also seek out communities who have become involved in the UFO phenomenon. In doing this research, I hope to become more fluent in my use of the Internet and have a better understanding of how the system works. I want to learn the shortcuts to online research and find out how to get the most amount of information in the least amount of time. I want to become an active part of the online communities and learn how to network within them. I would like to be able to do all of these things successfully and without becoming the newest member of a UFO cult! Here I go...

As I began my research my main goal was to first find out about the UFO phenomenon in general. To my surprise, there were many websites dedicated to UFO’s and the many sub-topics that go along with UFO’s. It was quite obvious that I would need to narrow my search to focus in on a more specific topic within "UFO's."

I began a search of the different websites to see what each one contained. As a technique for these searches, I found that I had to explore many different search engines, things that I was really not familiar with until my research for this paper. It was in using these different search engines that I realized how greatly one differs from another. For example, when I looked up websites on America Online, I didn’t find nearly as many options as when I looked up websites on Alta Vista or Ask Jeeves.

As I proceeded with my search I knew that not only would I have to find my focused sub-topic about UFO’s but, I would have to find online communities where people gather to discuss these topics. I was on a mission...

After sifting through many of the websites that pertained to the UFO phenomenon, certain themes became quite clear to me. Some talked about the history of UFO’s, dedicating a good part of it’s site to area 51 and secret government cover-ups of alien autopsies. Others took on a more cult-like quality, focusing on prophecies sent to earth from alien beings. What I did notice, however, throughout most of the sights that I searched, were accounts of alien abductions. I thought this to be the perfect topic of research for the paper. Though it falls under the heading of UFO’s, it is specific enough to do intense and meaningful research.

As I journeyed into the world of alien abductions, I noticed that discussions on websites focused mostly on personal accounts as well as the debate of truth versus fiction. To first gain knowledge of my topic, I decided that my starting point would have to be the debate. From there I could look deeper into personal accounts of people who have been abducted and find the online communities in which they discuss their experiences. As I began, I searched for credible websites pertaining to discussions on this debate. The following is what I found...

A PBS website entitled "NOVA Online" dedicated a page to the phenomenon of alien abductions. There were links to interviews with three believers and three skeptics. The door was now open to begin my quest for knowledge on this phenomenon. I began with the believers.

In reply to birdie num num:
And..Alien abduction, much like the existence of angels and ghosts, has created quite a debate over recent years. What I found in reading these interviews was the specifics on why each side believes what it does. Like I said, I began my research with the believers. John Mack, a psychiatrist from Harvard University, along with other believers, attempts to explain the validity of the these alien abductions at hand ("NOVA Online/Kidnapped By UFO's").

One of the most profound things that was uncovered was the similarity of the stories of abductees. Mack is very descriptive in his attempt to explain the experience of an abduction. He first tells of a blue light that surrounds the people in question, paralyzing them into a frozen state. The person will then be carried upward in a beam of light and be welcomed by alien beings. It is then that the abductee will be subject to surgical probes and procedures (i.e.: sperm and egg samples). Many abductees have reported coming into contact with hybrids...a cross between human and alien beings. It is believed that this is the reason that reproductive samples are being taken from humans. What is the reason for this hybrid? John Velez, and abductee who was interviewed by NOVA, feels that these alien beings have always been here. Velez believes that these aliens are incapable of reproduction. The hybrids are being created to keep their race from becoming extinct ("NOVA Online/Kidnapped By UFO’s?").

Another occurrence that has been described in abduction stories is the view of the destruction of the planet earth. Abductees have been shown, on television screens, scenes of the earth’s environment being destroyed--showing how pollution has killed the planet. With the creation of hybrids and these scenes of destruction that are shown to the abductees, it is a possibility that aliens are preparing to inhabit the earth after it’s destruction... for the sake of evolution ("NOVA Online/Kidnapped By UFO's?").

So I have been let in one side of the debate. Now it’s time to see what the skeptics say...

Thought there are many things that are associated with the alien abduction, skeptics of this phenomenon seem to believe that there is an explanation for every occurrence. The media portrays UFO’s and aliens in such a fashion that it creates specific, familiar images in the minds of "abductees." When looking at characteristics of these abductions, skeptics have a logical explanation ("NOVA Online/Kidnapped By UFO’s?").

John Mack, a believer mentioned earlier in the paper, has talked to many people who have claimed to have had an extraterrestrial experience. Many have said that they have woken up one morning with a distinct scar on their leg or other part of their body. They have no recollection of where or when they got the scar. They insist that it happened over night and while in contact with alien life. Well, skeptics like Philip Klass beg to differ. He argues that almost everyone has a scar somewhere on their body that they are not able to explain. In his mind, saying that a scar shows up overnight is a ridiculous claim ("NOVA Online/Kidnapped By UFO’s?").

And what about the devices that have been implanted into the many humans who have been abducted? This seems to be one of the characteristics common to this society of abductees. And while John Mack claims that no real physical evidence can be found, Philip Klass begs to differ yet again. If these abducees have been implanted with different devices, wouldn’t that serve as the physical evidence that is needed to prove the existence of extraterrestrials?("NOVA Online/Kidnapped By UFO’s?")

With every characteristic of an alien abduction, it seemed to be countered with an explanation by a skeptic. But, with a little bit of knowledge about each side, I now had the background to venture into online communities. I wanted to read accounts of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens. I wanted to chat with people about abduction and sightings. I wanted to be part of the action!

I began a new search on the Internet. I was now on the hunt for chat rooms and bulletin boards. I was thirsting to know more about these communities. I wasn’t quite sure if I was going to hold back and just observe conversations taking place or if I was going to be an actual participant in these conversations. I decided to play it by ear...do whatever felt right at the moment. I was sure I would obtain information about these communities no matter how I chose to do my investigation. And so I began...

My next step was to join a chat related to alien abduction. Unfortunately, my efforts were shot down. Though I did find many places on the Internet that allowed for chats related to UFO’s and alien abductions, I had absolutely no luck joining any of them. I found that I needed to have Java to be able to participate in a few of these online discussions. Since I apparently didn’t have Java on my home computer (where I did most of my research), I kept on with the search. I finally discovered a couple of places where I was permitted to obtain a character name and participate in a chat. Exhausted by my efforts and excited by the fact that I made it into a chat room, I logged on. To my utter disappointment, I was the only one in the room. I didn’t think much of it and told myself that there would be more people in the room later. Wrong. I tried throughout the day and night and still found no one in the room except myself.

Completely frustrated and yet still needing to discover a community, I stumbled across a website entitled, "Alien Abduction Experience and Research." Contained in this site was an "Alien Abduction Discussion Group." Perfect. I began reading as many different postings as I could--to get a well-rounded look at what this community is all about. I became a little skeptical when the first message was titled, "I’m from Mars!!" Despite my skepticism, I scrolled down a little further and began to read messages that appeared to be more on the serious side of matters ("AAER").

Not only do these people seem to share many characteristics of the abduction experience, but they share a sense of camaraderie and comfort among each other. If one person posted a concern about an experience or an opinion about a topic; many people would respond with answers to questions, similar stories or just a word of encouragement. I almost got the feeling that it was more of a support group than anything else. And, in doing the research on the abductions themselves, it seems quite appropriate that people would be searching for others with similar experiences. There is a need for explanation, for comfort, etc. And although I was not a part of this community, just by reading the postings and responses I felt an undeniable sense of community.

The process was long but well worth the effort. I came out of this paper learning three things. The first of these was online investigation and research. I became aware of the different search engines available on the Internet and how to edit my searches according to what I was looking for. For example, when I initially began my search I focused primarily on UFO’s. Having found that to be such a broad subject, I was able to narrow it down to a commonality I had found in many of the sites--alien abduction. Further still, after obtaining general information on alien abductions, I narrowed the search down further to chats about alien abduction.

I saw both the positive and negative sides of doing research on the Internet. As mentioned earlier on in the paper, I ran into problems when trying to join online chats. As someone who really only knows the basics about computers, I found it extremely frustrating to encounter roadblocks that I didn’t know how to get around.

gingerwolf 16 Jan 2011
In reply to DaveHK: ace link

Though I notice no huge orange or green 4+ routes to get in the way of his clearly hard route! :P

Interesting lower off at that wall though!
 _MJC_ 16 Jan 2011
In reply to TomBond: yeah i thought that lower off was really cool. Certainly better than fumbling about with a screwgate.
 Fraser 16 Jan 2011
In reply to DaveHK:

Cheers for that link. I'd been searching for that very clip the other day and couldn't find it. It's best piece of indoor climbing I think I've ever seen and is the perfect retort to the OP.
 ashley1_scott 16 Jan 2011

Maybe i fell asleep during your 2 pages long message but, that the hell did that have to do with this chat.
Im pretty sure the only time that me and UFO's had anything in common is when a miss the hold on a full out dyno. And someone says who was that.
In reply to ashley1_scott:
I just thought camalotahoy would be interested in it. There's more, if you want to read it.
 ashley1_scott 17 Jan 2011

Thanks for the offer, but i will pass this time
 Evilllamas 17 Jan 2011
after looking through your other posts, you would appear to be insane my friend!
Or a troll...
 ThunderCat 17 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:

I never claimed to be. Does that render your statement stupid, pointless, redundant or all of the above?

paulrdraper 18 Jan 2011
In reply to camalotahoy:

Thanks for your cleverly thought through and constructed argument. I have some suggestions of more hypothesis for you to make and where to send them:

"track cycling isn't really cycling, it's indoors. so there."
http://www.chrishoy.com/contact

"people who play ice hockey are not true hockey players. booyakasha."
http://www.talkicehockey.co.uk/guides/ice_hockey_stars_alexander_ovechkin.h...

"indoor swimming isn't proper. my dads bigger than your dad."
http://www.swimming.org/britishswimming/contact-us
 thin bob 18 Jan 2011
In reply to paulrdraper:
Nice one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...