UKC

Skymaster Climbing at the outdoors show

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DreadyCraig 16 Jan 2011
Did anyone have a go on the skymaster climbing wall this year at the outdoor show? I got told it was graded a sustained 6b by the guy running it. It looked a lot easier than that. But he wouldn't let me have a go as it told him I lead 5+/6a
If you tried it, what grade did you think it should be?
 Hawkscry 16 Jan 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:
Yeah it was patronisingly easy. I think 6a would be fair but the overextended quickdraws were really awkward to clip.
 loundsy 16 Jan 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

The gotta agree with Hawk the climbing wasn't hard, the worlds biggest holds but it was hard to make the clips. Saw lots of people fall off on Friday pumping out after failing to clip efficiently, F6a, would have been awesome as a DWS comp over the indoor pool in the boatshow bit!
 Reach>Talent 16 Jan 2011
In reply to loundsy:
I don't think you'd want to dws over that pool, it was only a few feet deep!
 loundsy 16 Jan 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Fair point. Deeper pool needed for next year then.
 Kevster 16 Jan 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Like other DWS, don't fall off or give it a S2 or something.

It was kinda fun though.
OP DreadyCraig 16 Jan 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:
FFS, I should have lied so I could have had a crack at it
In reply to DreadyCraig:

I dunno, I thought it seemed quite fair for the grade. It is massively overhanging and its totally different to anything else you would get at any normal wall. I route set at EICA: Ratho on the steepest wall in the country and I would say that 6b would be fair, I reckon a 6b climber would be struggling on that...

But tell me guys, I am getting very dissapointed with the Skymasters, I loved it when it was a proper competition with a well hard route and tricky sequences and funky moves, its just got worse over the years until now when they've taken off half the hanging volumes and now its just a shadow of its former self. Why can't we just have two, one easy one and one hard one and have a proper comp on it? Do you agree with me here?

There is enough volumes and to have two skymaster walls, we could have a 6b for fun and an 8b for the comp!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...